Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Default RCMP Gun Seizure Meeting With Danielle Smith

Meeting In High River September 5th with Danielle Smith
There will be a meeting in High River to address the issue of the RCMP gun seizures and forced entries of private residences there.

The meeting is being hosted by Danielle Smith, leader of the Wildrose Party and MLA for that area.

Danielle wishes to get information on the experiences of her constituents in regards to having guns seized and homes entered.

NFA Alberta Director and former Garry Breitkreuz assistant Dennis Young will also be attending.

The details of the meeting are:

Highwood High School

1033 1st st SW

High River, Alta

7:00 PM

September 5th

Blair Hagen
Executive Vice President
Canada's National Firearms Association
www.nfa.ca

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Default seizures ?

Pretty sure they only 'secured' them
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Redford and the RCMP will not be happy, as they were likely just hoping that everyone would forget about this.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Redford and the RCMP will not be happy, as they were likely just hoping that everyone would forget about this.
They aren't going to worry about it...

http://globalnews.ca/news/785556/rcm...-commissioner/

Quote:
Access to Information Commissioner Suzanne Legault says over the past months her office began receiving complaints from individuals saying they were not hearing back from the RCMP after filing access to information requests

“This past year at some point, they just completely stopped responding,” Legault said of the RCMP. “Requesters were complaining to my office, but we didn’t even have any response from the institution.”
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Access to Information Commissioner Suzanne Legault says over the past months her office began receiving complaints from individuals saying they were not hearing back from the RCMP after filing access to information requests

“This past year at some point, they just completely stopped responding,” Legault said of the RCMP. “Requesters were complaining to my office, but we didn’t even have any response from the institution.”
It's time that our federal government started holding the RCMP responsible for their actions. They seen to be making a habit of defying the government lately.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good point... how many are still being secured?
Have all the secured guns been accounted for?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned

Default good on her !

maybe it will come out we have a rogue RCMP detachment there ?

... maybe some firings are in-order ?

TBD

... questions need to answered, and you can bet she'll not let this go until they are !
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Good point.... A while ago, there was some reporter from Calgary (I believe) on this forum trying to get info from persons who actually had their firearms taken into protective custody. Last I checked, there were NO ACTUAL CASES REPORTED TO HIM........

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=183653

Go figure. Right up there with that nice dentist the sheriff beat up for no reason (or so she says!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Good point... how many are still being secured?
Have all the secured guns been accounted for?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Good point.... A while ago, there was some reporter from Calgary (I believe) on this forum trying to get info from persons who actually had their firearms taken into protective custody. Last I checked, there were NO ACTUAL CASES REPORTED TO HIM........
So you actually contacted the reporter yourself to see if any cases were reported to him?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's time that our federal government started holding the RCMP responsible for their actions. They seen to be making a habit of defying the government lately.
Ever stop to wonder why they don't hold them accountable? Plausible deniability maybe? There's a reason the gov't allows the RCMP to do whatever the heck they want, we'll eventually find out what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=183653

Go figure. Right up there with that nice dentist the sheriff beat up for no reason (or so she says!)
The fact remains, guns were seized in High River - maybe people are nervous to talk about it, maybe they are too damn busy with other things.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Not picking on anyone, but maybe, just maybe it's being stirred up by persons who aren't involved with it at all??? I have nothing to support that statement other than the school of life, but it sure wouldn't surprise me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Ever stop to wonder why they don't hold them accountable? Plausible deniability maybe? There's a reason the gov't allows the RCMP to do whatever the heck they want, we'll eventually find out what it is.

The fact remains, guns were seized in High River - maybe people are nervous to talk about it, maybe they are too damn busy with other things.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
Not picking on anyone, but maybe, just maybe it's being stirred up by persons who aren't involved with it at all??? I have nothing to support that statement other than the school of life, but it sure wouldn't surprise me!
There were over 500 firearms seized, the RCMP had no business seizing anything from peoples homes. They broke the law.

End of story.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
All firearms owners should be interested in what happened in High River, to do what we can so it doesn't happen anywhere else.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM

I know there was an article in the Sun about one person who had firearms taken from his home that was never flooded. The firearms were taken on the 3rd search of the house. So I'm guessing at least one person contacted them.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Exclamation

I have first hand info on this. My brothers house was entered and 12 guns were seized
They were in a rack beside his gunsafes that contained 47 more guns. The 12 seized were returned and even cased. All secured were untouched. What is the problem. There were 23 restricted left in there place.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Yes, secure storage is the law. As you mention, those in the safes etc were left alone.

Regardless of personal feelings, the law is the law. You can't vacate your house and leave unsecured firearms. That's the law, whether we like it or not. The problem is, if people left unsecured firearms in their vacant homes for vandals to access, the police seemed to have done their job and seized them, which they have every right to do. A locked (house) door does not make the firearm secure; a gun safe etc does and I doubt many safes were seized...

We can argue until we're blue in the face, it's not what we feel is right or wrong, it's what the law reads. It's up to the politicians (which we elect) to change the laws, not the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
I have first hand info on this. My brothers house was entered and 12 guns were seized
They were in a rack beside his gunsafes that contained 47 more guns. The 12 seized were returned and even cased. All secured were untouched. What is the problem. There were 23 restricted left in there place.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I'm confused, were the ones in the rack legally stored and still seized?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, secure storage is the law. As you mention, those in the safes etc were left alone.

Regardless of personal feelings, the law is the law. You can't vacate your house and leave unsecured firearms. That's the law, whether we like it or not. The problem is, if people left unsecured firearms in their vacant homes for vandals to access, the police seemed to have done their job and seized them, which they have every right to do. A locked (house) door does not make the firearm secure; a gun safe etc does and I doubt many safes were seized...
Yes the law is the law, as is posted below.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-2.html#h-3

Quote:
STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is

(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,

(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or

(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.

(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.
A non restricted firearm does not have to be in a safe, to be stored legally. Simply installing a trigger lock, or removing the bolt, satisfies the regulations.

Then ,as per the news broadcast on television,we have a situation where the RCMP went to the same home three times before they searched hard enough to find the occupant's firearms. So just how did the RCMP know that firearms were present in that home, that they returned two more times to search for them? According to our government, all non restricted firearms registration records were ordered to be destroyed, and could not legally be accessed. So why would they return to that same home twice more to search for firearms?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I'm confused, were the ones in the rack legally stored and still seized?
They were sitting in a gunrack to be cleaned. The Rcmp located the guncases and that was it. They were returned no problems at all.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM

So were the bolts taken out? Trigger locked or no
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Well that can't be right, just ask the band wagon riders that weren't there, they know better than first hand knowledge. What a load of tripe.

Thanks Wade, glad you brother got his guns back, safe, in their cases, and without any grief.

And, I hope he didn't lose too much from the flooding.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Well that can't be right, just ask the band wagon riders that weren't there, they know better than first hand knowledge. What a load of tripe.

I'm glad he got them back

Just a FYI - there has been at least one case reported on the News (Sun) of a homeowner who had a locked closet broken into by the RCMP , after they kicked in his front door. He was in a non flooded area. The RCMP have admitted to seizing non restricted firearms that were trigger locked - those firearms were legally stored .

So bandwagon or not - the RCMP lied about (some) of their actions and admitted to seizing legally stored firearms
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:

Just a FYI - there has been at least one case reported on the News (Sun) of a homeowner who had a locked closet broken into by the RCMP , after they kicked in his front door. He was in a non flooded area. The RCMP have admitted to seizing non restricted firearms that were trigger locked - those firearms were legally stored .

So bandwagon or not - the RCMP lied about (some) of their actions and admitted to seizing legally stored firearms
Perhaps some of the officers took extra "special" care to collect firearms, and the rest just did their job.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Meeting In High River September 5th with Danielle Smith
There will be a meeting in High River to address the issue of the RCMP gun seizures and forced entries of private residences there.

The meeting is being hosted by Danielle Smith, leader of the Wildrose Party and MLA for that area.

Danielle wishes to get information on the experiences of her constituents in regards to having guns seized and homes entered.

NFA Alberta Director and former Garry Breitkreuz assistant Dennis Young will also be attending.

The details of the meeting are:

Highwood High School

1033 1st st SW

High River, Alta

7:00 PM

September 5th

Blair Hagen
Executive Vice President
Canada's National Firearms Association
www.nfa.ca

The meeting and it's particulars have to get out to the news media. Every nook and cranny of the news media.

You ladies and gentlemen know what to do.

Thanks from us AO people.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Default meeting

we should get a bunch of AO member to go out to the meeting too, I'm in!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM

Heard the fuzz down there are booting doors down and making off with guns, record players, and oprah workout videos....... Can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:

.......at least one case reported on the News (Sun) .....
One. And if it is the same one I'm aware of, it was from the guy riding shotgun on the wagon, after no one stepped up in over a week, and it was not first hand. To be fair, neither is Wade's, but hardly a smoking gun (pun intended).

I have a cursory knowledge of the oil industry, even worked in it for a while, but I surely would not think I am qualified to render judgements of any kind. I don't understand how someone can be an expert with little to no facts to go on.

I'm all for holding authority accountable but drumming up a sense of obstruction on supposition is irresponsible, IMO.

Tripe. That's enough from me, carry on.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM

There's no supposition. Legally stored guns were removed. End of story.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
There's no supposition. Legally stored guns were removed. End of story.
Exactly...RCMP admitted to it , not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

Was it for all , approx. 500 ? Don't know , never claimed to. Do I know for sure what happened ? No

Does any one else here ? no.

The RCMP (apparently) know ...but they have changed their story several times - excuse me if I have a certain amount of skepticism. Others may not. Others are entitled to their opinion. I feel I am entitled to mine