Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2014, 11:12 PM

Gotta agree with the whaler, Glencross can be a turn over machine.
Otherwise fun team to watch for sure.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:13 PM

Another hard fought victory tonight . Wish this game was on the entire time for us up north as the Oilers were spanked by Chicago. Nice to see one Alberta team that is in rebuild mode and playing with passion and desire. Even my 8 and 6 year old boys could see the difference and commented on it watching the Oilers then the last minute of the Flames game and the OT and the shoot out

And I am not a Flames can and sorry to say an Oilers.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Banned

Wow ... What a fun if not a bit sloppy game to watch.
The Dome sounded like it was rocking.

Sitting here watching the game with Will. He is bouncing and screaming. Calgary pulls the goalie EXTREMLY early (3:40) left and he says...what the hell, 4 minutes and the pull Ramo???

Then the goals started coming. I am not sure what was more fun, watching the flames or watching Will.

This is great entertainment. What a year so far. Not sure if it will go on, but I know it's fun to watch.

Now...Beat the Esks tomorow and all will be good.

Jamie
Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 PM

Pulling the goalie way early seems to be the new norm, I've seen it a number of times now and it really seems to be paying off too. Sure was a barn burner tonight.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 AM

The one thing I didn't get was Hartley putting the new kid Knight in as the 3rd shooter in shootout. He looked like the pressure was getting to him before he ever touched the puck, and he didn't play it well. Not as bad as Henrique did, losing the puck entirely before he got a shot, but still....a strange move. So many other veteran shooters he could have thrown in.

But a win is a win, and that was a great gutsy win!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-23-2014, 08:30 AM

Default It's all about Leadership

Gio has these guys believing they can beat anyone. I live in Edmonton but cheer for the Flames and it is incredible to watch how these two teams react to being down a goal or two. I was going back and forth between the Calgary Jersey game last night versus Edmonton Chicago. It was over the minute the the second goal went in against Edmonton. They packed their tent. You could see it on the bench, you could see it in who came out of the corner with the puck. Calgary will not give up.

So what would you do if you are Edmonton? You can't fire the coach.....again and again! The guys are too young, have not been taught how to win and what it takes to play as a team. Even Dallas said after the game that everyone started playing as individuals after the second goal and the worst perpetrator of this in Hall!

It's sad but it's all about leadership. I hope Calgary makes the playoffs, they deserve it so far and Gio will and should win the Norris.

Go Flames go!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Why Knight?

I think Hartley has been consistent at giving the kids a shot. I can't remember the specifics but I believe Hartley has given a number of kids a shot in the shoot out? I agree, he did not look comfortable but look at it this way. It's Hartley saying, hey I believe in you and your ability to get it done. If you think about it what a great endorsement.

But he looked nervous. Good learning though
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM

How annoying. Didn't think the Flames would pull this one out of a hat... Man was I wrong as rain indoors.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The one thing I didn't get was Hartley putting the new kid Knight in as the 3rd shooter in shootout. He looked like the pressure was getting to him before he ever touched the puck, and he didn't play it well. Not as bad as Henrique did, losing the puck entirely before he got a shot, but still....a strange move. So many other veteran shooters he could have thrown in.

But a win is a win, and that was a great gutsy win!
Pressure is part of the game. Coach needs to know how you will do. Also sometimes experience is what you need to overcome it. Also I like it that the coach said...look boys. Anyone can move up in my books and everyone will have a chance to prove themselves. Work hard and I will notice.

That speaks volumes in my books.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 AM

After watching that game it seems anything is possible with the new Flames. Perhaps Edmonton should hire Feaster to get back in it... after all, he's responsible for most of the brilliant trades that are paying off right now.

The Oilers' problems won't go away until McTavish hits the road.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
After watching that game it seems anything is possible with the new Flames. Perhaps Edmonton should hire Feaster to get back in it... after all, he's responsible for most of the brilliant trades that are paying off right now.

The Oilers' problems won't go away until McTavish hits the road.
That is something that doesn't get talked about much. All the talent right now was pretty much brought in by Feaster. Feaster couldnt fix the oilers though, the problem there starts with management and the old boys club that they keep holding on to. Need to clean house top to bottom. GM, president, all assistants, coaches and anyone involved with player personal. After that, some of the fungus needs to be cut out in the locker room and a new leadership group needs to be installed. That is the biggest mistake they made with the team. Had no solid leadership. Ference is probably great in the room but they need someone who can be a leader on the ice, and ference wont do that playing under 15 min / game
Old 11-23-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Yep, keep the young guys playing. Glencross looked like crap and lazy play. Dam McDavid would look good with these boys. Lol
To get back to this....he (Glencross) did have a couple last night, and set things up for OT. Just sayin.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 PM

Not my team but sure fun to watch...
They look like they are playing because they love the game and not the money..
Old 11-25-2014, 03:09 PM

Well, the Flames are playing the Ducks tonight in Anaheim. I think it was 2004 since they won a game there, and after the last game in Calgary where they pulled it out in the 3rd and won in OT....it is going to be a tough game. So.....GO FLAMES!!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 PM

They're going to break the Annaheim winless streak tonight. Guaranteed. I think.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 PM

Well, they didn't quit...but Anderson played really well tonight, and Hiller let in that sloppy sloppy goal with 5 seconds left in second. You could have put a C train through that 5 hole. I figure that was the game right there. Flames outshot them, and came close...but I guess you can't win them all. Although some team which shall remain nameless is trying very hard to prove you can lose them all.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 PM

more ,,,,Ramo is needed
Old 11-27-2014, 12:07 AM

Ramo was outstanding tonight and should get the start next game in Arizona...keep on rolling boys Go Flames!!

"Always surprised at the people that come here and trash Alberta. Why put yourself through the torture of living here? Start your own thread about why Alberta is the worst place to live and why you stay."

Rugatika
Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 AM

Talking yessssssssssa

Ramo..looks like a younger kipper,,,the reason the FLAMES are best in the third period, they just WELL wear ya down,,,very fast skating and finish every check with a hit ,,,GO FLAMES GO
Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 AM

I agree, Ramo was outstanding and should get the start in Phoenix. Hudler is earning every penny of his salary, as are all the rest of the team. Johnny Gaudreau continues to remind me of Patrick Kane, and the D men Gio and Brodie, Wideman and Russell, continue to be a double threat. Great speed last night again. Paul Byron really impressed me too the way he stole the puck out from under Thornton, he's twice as big! He gave old Joe the fits last night.

This is shaping up to be a really fun year to watch.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Fun to watch and fun to watch the Oilers up North go in the total opposite direction.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:10 PM

Wow, what a dominant game tonight. Second shutout in a row for Ramo and another great game for Brodie, Hudler and Gaudreau. Couldn't be more pleased with the confidence these boys have right now. Keep on rolling!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:02 AM

Once Calgary's shooting percentage & save percentage get back to normal, this little streak will be a distant memory.

Go Oilers.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German View Post
Once Calgary's shooting percentage & save percentage get back to normal, this little streak will be a distant memory.

Go Oilers.
yup, go oilers, and take the Eskimo's with you!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 AM

Alas, if only the Oilers' "little" streak were a distant memory.

Of course we'll ride this wave while the surf's up but Calgary's depth in players, coaching and management are only now becoming apparent to the naysayers. The Flames' turnaround looks to have some staying power.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Go Oilers.
Go Oilers...yes sir there going for 10 on Monday night...stay tuned should be fun

"Always surprised at the people that come here and trash Alberta. Why put yourself through the torture of living here? Start your own thread about why Alberta is the worst place to live and why you stay."

Rugatika
Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

Go Oilers.
It bothers me as well. But this isn't a "Little" streak. And the numbers seem to be getting better.

I don't know if all this is sustainable. But I am enjoying the ride. We look forward to watching each and every Flames game on TV. I can't say that has been the case in the past.

Watching these kids like Josh and Johnny is killer. That Gaudreau always seems to have a trick up his sleeve. The speed they show is crazy rocket fast. I don't know how someone so small can forecheck to that extent.

Honestly, you Oilers fans have to watch a Flames game. It will make your winter.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I said it last year to watch this team rebuild properly, strong foundation, as much as I hope they loose against my "Canucks" they are a real threat.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Alas, if only the Oilers' "little" streak were a distant memory.

Of course we'll ride this wave while the surf's up but Calgary's depth in players, coaching and management are only now becoming apparent to the naysayers. The Flames' turnaround looks to have some staying power.
They have a streak going...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Go Oilers.
Yup, Go Oilers for sure.....

They are setting records this year for sure. As for the Flames, their 'little streak'....15-8-2, 35 third period goals (Tampa is next with 28), 7-3-0 in their last 10 (compared to Oilers astonishing 1-6-3....and if they lose Monday, you can make that 0-7-3 which would be completely unsurprising)....

I think that even the staunchest of Flames-hating-Oiler fan is going to get really really quiet as the season progresses. I'm hoping, anyway.

So, last night, another great show by Ramo, back to back shut outs! A fair bit of cherry juice on the ice last night, the sticks and pucks in the face was nasty. Bollig kept going even with packing hanging out of his shnoz though, tough guy. Jooris got a nasty face job by stick,but played on.. That is a hard working, fast skating team right there.....Hudler with 3 points last night again. Wow.