Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
If anyone can find that animation of the dead horse being flogged, post it here please.....

I thought this one would be appropriate for the forum...
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 PM

Ya geezle is pretty funny.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post

LOL!

Safety D, maybe this is your issue. You can't always trust what others say...

Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Ya geezle is pretty funny.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-09-2015, 10:41 PM

If there are a large number of small walleye maybe the big pike are not interested in feeding because they are not hungry
Old 03-10-2015, 07:33 AM

Don't believe any of this garbage. Wabamun is doing well. I'm going back again this weekend. Some people keep lake reports to themselves so nobody goes there ( i'm one of them), but you can't keep fish out of Wabamun so who cares. Its the best pike lake anywhere within 2 hours of Edmonton.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM

i agree its the best pike lake 2 hrs from edmonton however its been catch and release for so long it doesnt even turn my crank to catch big fish there ...and to each their own wab is nuthing what it was 4 yrs ago or so i also frequent the lake and have since i was young and if ya ask me its on a downward spiral it might take ten years bit it will likely become a walleye lake like many others have..pike will eat walleye yes ...easy prey but id be willing to bet not all pike survive trying to swallow one so lets hope that doesnt happen too much ..im sure others will agree that theyve caught a pike that had a drad walleye jammed gown there throat ..i seen it twice now once at wab and both times on fairly big fish (above 10 pounds ) ..sucks cuz if i wanted to catch walleye theres dozens of well populated ..protected walleye holes already..before you know it all youll find is walleye there ..time to shut er down on the dumping millions of walleye in there ...
Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Chriscosta, I respect your opinion on experiencing the lake for years. I can also agree that another walleye lake close to Edmonton is not needed at the expense of what could be a great pike fishery.

What had me laughing is your comment on pike choking on walleye....,WHAT? Do you really believe that is a factor? Fish choke on other fish all the time. So by your logic if a pike washes up at Wab with a whitefish in its gullet, we better address that too?????

If you actually believe an apex predator like pike hasn't figured out how to kill and eat a walleye, you do not know the fish you are chasing. It's just common sense that this is just internet BS and you, as an angler, should be able to figure this out with your own experiences. If you can't, maybe try fishing for goldfish. It is infinitely safer for everyone.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If you actually believe an apex predator like pike hasn't figured out how to kill and eat a walleye, you do not know the fish you are chasing. It's just common sense that this is just internet BS and you, as an angler, should be able to figure this out with your own experiences. If you can't, maybe try fishing for goldfish. It is infinitely safer for everyone.
So exactly how many walleye have you found inside of a pike?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:56 PM

It's not about whether or not a Pike will eat a walleye .... it simple ....inter relational contributing factors and their immediate and long term effect is the key to this issue.

Walleye compete for forage with growing pike, at a critical point of their life cycle where growth is inhibited by lack of food. Pike (and any animal for that matter) who experience malnutrition at key junctions within their life cycle will experience reduced growth rates and therefore reduced average fully mature sizes.

Pike will eat walleye, but this is neither a preferred source, nor does it have a contribution to growth rates at an equal or greater value compared to the factor of competition.

The Walleye's competition for this food outweighs it's value as a food source itself.

Easy Peasy ....... the BAD effects outweigh the GOOD effects.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

The Walleye's competition for this food outweighs it's value as a food source itself.
I very much like the way you stated it. Much better than I have in the past that's for sure.

I would still like to hear exactly how many walleye he has found inside of a pike. Since he was saying how easy it would be since you "should be able to figure this out with your own experiences". I imagine he has found very many walleye inside pike I just don't know how many hundreds he was referring to.

Last edited by cube; 03-10-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 PM

I find that there's a lot of jacks still swimming in Wabamun, although being fairly new I don't have any years to compare except last year. With my camera though it's clear that they're in there. In a typical day I see about 20-30 jacks, 5-15 whitefish, a few tiny perch, 0-1 walleye, 0-1 burbot. Not sure if that's good or bad. As for how many I actually catch, I'm not telling...my favorite lure is also a favorite lure of jacks...they have a 90% ratio of bite-to-getting-off

I should add that the jacks typically aren't too interested in my lure - they have their eyes set on whitefish. They just follow them around and keep the whiteys from biting...and when they bite they usually wreck my gear and camera...so all in all jacks are a **** off...lol.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Chriscosta, I respect your opinion on experiencing the lake for years. I can also agree that another walleye lake close to Edmonton is not needed at the expense of what could be a great pike fishery.

What had me laughing is your comment on pike choking on walleye....,WHAT? Do you really believe that is a factor? Fish choke on other fish all the time. So by your logic if a pike washes up at Wab with a whitefish in its gullet, we better address that too?????

SNAP,

I don't really think the comments to Costa are all that appropriate.He was just stating his opinion, pike are not inherently all that smart and can and do choke on fish quite often. The problem is they take them head first and by the time they realize they can't get it down, the spikes on the dorsal fin don't allow the pike to spit it out. They then suffocate and die. I don't think this is really something to worry about as far as the concern in Wab, but apex predator or not this does happen more than you may think. That's just my opinion for what it's worth.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 03-10-2015, 04:33 PM

This must be some kind of joke.... Wab has been slaying well when I went, as well from reports I have seen , Ya few smaller guys, but also seen some hogs this year .....

Remember when I met you on the river this year , you said its dead, and we went on to catch over a dozen sturgeon that night, multiple double headers and also every weekend after that..... So if Safety D says its dead, im heading that way for some awesome fishing !

But in all seriousness, Is it really that dead, or have you tried more than one spot ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-10-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
So if Safety D says its dead, im heading that way for some awesome fishing !
This has been true several times in my personal experience lol

Caught my biggest perch last two ice seasons running out of a "dead" lake.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
This must be some kind of joke.... Wab has been slaying well when I went, as well from reports I have seen , Ya few smaller guys, but also seen some hogs this year .....

Remember when I met you on the river this year , you said its dead, and we went on to catch over a dozen sturgeon that night, multiple double headers and also every weekend after that..... So if Safety D says its dead, im heading that way for some awesome fishing !

But in all seriousness, Is it really that dead, or have you tried more than one spot ?
I agree...Wabamun seems to have lots of fish. Battle Lake on the other hand, is a different story. I normally catch a ton of jacks there with some walleye, but when I went the other weekend we found hardly any fish. Must be hiding because you can't keep much there...
Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
This has been true several times in my personal experience lol

Caught my biggest perch last two ice seasons running out of a "dead" lake.
Whenever I hear that lake is dead, or this is dead, I make a point to go fish it ! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post

Here's another, you have to click on it! lol
Attached Images
File Type: gif 439.gif (16.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 PM

lol didnt mean to rub anyone wrong it could very well be that the older these fish get the wiser they get and they know better than to swallow a hook..who knows ..were all digging for a reason i was just stating some of the possibilities that all lol ..i been fishing for pike since i could walk litterally so its not that i DONT know the fish i DO know theyll try to swallow anything so it was just a thought
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
So exactly how many walleye have you found inside of a pike?

Several times. Though these were large pike stealing the walleye off my hook and then eating it. One of the times the pike thrashed the walleye, dropped it, and after the walleye stopped moving, inhaled the walleye.

Can't tell you how many perch I've found in pike. .......lots. Pike are predators and will eat whatever is easily available.

I've also found walleye in the stomach of large lakers.

Does that answer your question..,.

EZM, laid it out for you in his post. It is competition for food that is likely to be the thing to worry about.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
SNAP,

I don't really think the comments to Costa are all that appropriate.He was just stating his opinion, pike are not inherently all that smart and can and do choke on fish quite often. The problem is they take them head first and by the time they realize they can't get it down, the spikes on the dorsal fin don't allow the pike to spit it out. They then suffocate and die. I don't think this is really something to worry about as far as the concern in Wab, but apex predator or not this does happen more than you may think. That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

It was appropriate. Sorry but when I read items with little to no common sense in them, it is easy and appropriate to comment. It does make me laugh too.

You just made the same point as me, same thing. It happens. Like I said, I've seen dead pike with whites stuck in their throats. More the size of the fish....and pike will sometimes try....

Just use that thing in your head to reason it out. Pike and walleye exist very well together in the right conditions. One isn't going to be a factor in wiping out the other. More likely indirectly through competition of food source.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I very much like the way you stated it. Much better than I have in the past that's for sure.

I would still like to hear exactly how many walleye he has found inside of a pike. Since he was saying how easy it would be since you "should be able to figure this out with your own experiences". I imagine he has found very many walleye inside pike I just don't know how many hundreds he was referring to.

You know cube, you just took the cake for the next laugh. Enough had been said about the more than likely factor. I never said hundreds or anything like that. Those are your introduced words out of your own hilarious imagination.

Like I said in my other posts. It happens. They will eat anything. Do you still have a point ? LOL
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
lol didnt mean to rub anyone wrong it could very well be that the older these fish get the wiser they get and they know better than to swallow a hook..who knows ..were all digging for a reason i was just stating some of the possibilities that all lol ..i been fishing for pike since i could walk litterally so its not that i DONT know the fish i DO know theyll try to swallow anything so it was just a thought

Fair enough. It was a comment only then.. How about you and I stick to fishing and leave the biology to the biologists.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Several times. Though these were large pike stealing the walleye off my hook and then eating it. One of the times the pike thrashed the walleye, dropped it, and after the walleye stopped moving, inhaled the walleye.

Can't tell you how many perch I've found in pike. .......lots. Pike are predators and will eat whatever is easily available.

I've also found walleye in the stomach of large lakers.

Does that answer your question..,.

EZM, laid it out for you in his post. It is competition for food that is likely to be the thing to worry about.
Just asking how many walleye you have found INSIDE of pike. From what you have said above it sounds like perhaps just one. To be more specific I am not asking how many have attacked a walleye that was on a fishing line as that would not be a natural situation.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM

Lots of predatory fish eat spiny fish it is no big secret. Walleye just have a common defensive spines like many other species and all do get eaten by other fish. There is a huge list of species that have them perch included.

The reasoning of walleye competing for food is a lot more valid for impacting numbers of pike.

Many lakes in Canada that hold good numbers of both pike and walleye if pike chocking on walleye was a big issue this would not be the case.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. It was a comment only then.. How about you and I stick to fishing and leave the biology to the biologists.
meh its just a conversation i by no meand consider myself a biologist no biggie
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM

How about someone ask the Mods if, when someone wants to derail a thread in another direction that they can/have to change the subject line to match where they are going with the thread as they would like!
I think there is a penalty for doing this though......
You AO guys are hilarious
Old 03-11-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
How about someone ask the Mods if, when someone wants to derail a thread in another direction that they can/have to change the subject line to match where they are going with the thread as they would like!
I think there is a penalty for doing this though......
You AO guys are hilarious
Not much of a derail.... Still pertains...
Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Just asking how many walleye you have found INSIDE of pike. From what you have said above it sounds like perhaps just one. To be more specific I am not asking how many have attacked a walleye that was on a fishing line as that would not be a natural situation.

Thanks
How do you get one from several. Once again you make me laugh.

It's at stupid question. Since you don't seem to believe or understand it from me:

Quote:
Northern Pike are at the top of the food chain in most lakes and they just about eat anything. Walleyes, Chubs, Perch, Bass, Shiners, Frogs, Snakes, Birds, Bugs and other Pike are all on there menu.
http://exc-adventures.com/what-do-northern-pike-eat/

Quote:
The pike has a distinctive habit of catching its prey sideways in its mouth, immobilizing it with sharp, backward-pointing teeth, then turning the prey headfirst to swallow it. Juveniles often take larger prey than they can swallow. They swim around with the prey's tail sticking out of their mouths, until their digestive juices melt them down to a manageable size.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6161905AAzycCV

Quote:
When we clean northern pike caught in Red Lake, the most common bigger fish we find in their stomachs are, in order:
northern pike, white suckers, whitefish or tulibee (a type of herring).
Smaller prey found in the stomachs are, also in order: crayfish, perch, northern pike, walleye, smelt, rock bass.
http://bownarrows.blogspot.ca/2012/0...-pike-eat.html

Quote:
Big pike generally do not bother with small minnows, frogs and bugs. Their main food is Walleyes, small hammer-handles, Suckers, Chub and Whitefish. The big pike will hang out where they can ambush Walleyes.
http://www.happydaylodge.com/northernpike.htm

And, in support of the idea that it could be related to predators sharing the same food source, how about an abstract done closer to home:

Quote:
The stomach contents of both species were examined during May and June. The majority of walleye had empty stomachs. Walleye and northern pike in Ethel and Wolf Lakes fed on a variety of fish and invertebrate species but both fed mainly on fish (in particular whitefish) in Marie Lake. The similarity of diet suggests competition for prey species.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...927.x/abstract

Do you have any more stupid questions you would like answered?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 PM

After a slow start to the season for me at Wab, today was a much needed booster.

Landed lots, and a few bigger girls.

3 between 11.5-12 pounds, a 13.5 and a 15. Much better than what I've been getting so far this year. Nice fat,healthy pike.

Confident the 20 is coming before seasons end.