Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM

Smoke got more intense overhead late this afternoon into the evening, everything is covered with ash now, falling like snow at times!
A bunch of us have been outside after supper watering our lawns down, and some are doing roofs too. I did part of my roof.
Now the smoke looks to be blowing north and has subsided quite a bit. The fire has obviously moved away from Gregoire, Beacon Hill and Abasand back west towards the Athabasca. That's good.
Tomorrow may be interesting. Winds forecast to pick up in the afternoon and blow from the west - bringing it all back towards us again.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM

OHDANG!! Looks like the the fire flared up and jumped the Athabasca River!!
Not good, the golf course is evacuated.
Cat
Old 05-03-2016, 02:01 PM

lousy for sure , hang in there guys , hopefully get some rain soon , it seems we deal with this same issue every summer now in the Okanagan too, expecting the same again this year with breaking temps already.......

Old 05-03-2016, 02:21 PM

Getting real bad real quick. Be careful people. It has jumped the river and is heading into town at Abasand side and again from wood Buffalo near the golf course. Used to live in word Buffalo I'd be packing up now. May pack up anyway and head south.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Three areas under mandatory evacuation according to the news. Voluntary evacuations in some other areas.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Pic of my nephew at his mom's place... 2hrs ago. So not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 PM

Thickwood , ,wood Buffalo, Gregoire, Abasand mandatory evacuation
Son is at Jacobs Syncrude , locked down not allowed to leave yet!
Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM

Taken 10 minutes ago.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

My heart goes out to all up there. Please stay safe. Cat, get the hell out of there if you can. You too, Mistagin.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:02 PM

Dozens of firefighters remained on the scene of an out-of-control wildfire burning near Fort McMurray – officials said the fire was believed to have more than doubled in size since Monday.
Later Tuesday afternoon, officials told CTV News the wildfire was 'beyond resources' - meaning it was considered too dangerous to put fire crews and aircraft between the fire and Fort McMurray.
Just after 2 p.m., the neighbourhoods of Abasand, Beacon Hill and Grayling Terrace in Fort McMurray were issued mandatory evacuation notices. Evacuated residents were asked to head to MacDonald Island Park.

Residents of three Fort McMurray neighbourhoods try to evacuate after mandatory evacuation notices were issued after 2 p.m. Tuesday, May 3, 2016.
Just after 3 p.m., officials with the municipality added residents in the Thickwood, and neighbourhoods south of Thickwood Drive between Real Martin Drive and Thicket Drive, and residents in Gregoire, were placed under a mandatory evacuation notice.
Before 3:30 p.m., officials said residents in Dickensfield and Thickwood, located north of Thickwood Boulevard, were placed under mandatory evacuation notice – and were advised to head to the Noralta Lodge 21 kilometres north of Fort McMurray.
A few minutes later, officials said the downtown area, southeast of King Street, along with Waterways, Draper and Saline Creek were all on mandatory evacuation notice.
Residents were advised to evacuate immediately to the Anzac Recreation Centre at 237 Stony Mountain Road.
Officials have asked residents to avoid areas that are under evacuation notice – saying in a statement: “If you’re not at home, do not return home.”
Residents with pets were asked to notify the reception centre at MacDonald Island Park, or responders at Noralta Lodge if they have a pet at home.
Those trying to leave the area were encountering traffic issues on the highway heading out of town - all due to traffic volume.
A CTV News team, including CTV's Breanna Karstens-Smith and videographer Sean Amato was in Fort McMurray as events unfolded:
Old 05-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Cat, you & all of the residents of Ft. Mac STAY SAFE!!!!!!! Belongings, with the exceptions of heirlooms, are always replaceable.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:13 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2016, 04:15 PM

Holy Crap, safe travels Fort Mac. Stay safe.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:21 PM

Fort McMurray AO Regs:

If you need a place to stay in Edmonton, let me know. I've already let a bunch of family up there know that my house is open. Between us Edmonton guys, we will find you a place.

Get out of there and be safe.

sns2
Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Prayers and thoughts to all of those up in Fort Mac!

Prayers for all those fighting this fire!

Hopefully the rains come soon! And lots of it!

BW
Old 05-03-2016, 04:27 PM

How horrible

Its bad enough what the economy, oil prices and the new governments have done to that region, but now this......... Be cautious everyone up there!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Fort McMurray AO Regs:

If you need a place to stay in Edmonton, let me know. I've already let a bunch of family up there know that my house is open. Between us Edmonton guys, we will find you a place.

Get out of there and be safe.

sns2
Nice move sns2. Not sure how many will be travelling south, it appears that they are asked to go north if possible. I'm sure families will need help in the coming days.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:35 PM

Anyone nearby with a riverboat may want to launch and try to help pick people off the riverbanks.
I just heard from a family member that people are trapped and not getting out

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hope the rain comes...scary for sure, all out there be safe and hope things turn for the good.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Keep this thread on topic please.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Banned

edit
Old 05-03-2016, 04:54 PM

Hopefully everyone makes it out all right and property damage is minimal. We are cheering for you Fort Mac.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:55 PM

The evacuation order that I read noted to not return for your pets and just get to safety, but obviously if you're returning home to get your family you'll also be grabbing your furry family members along with the bare essentials that you can pack in 5-10 minutes. No possession is worth dying for, particularly with how unpleasant death by fire would be.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Banned

I would save my pup for sure. This is gonna be on a whole nother level if it approaches any of the plants......

Anti-oilsands/green peace are probably cheering.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Prayers and thoughts to all of those up in Fort Mac!

Prayers for all those fighting this fire!

Hopefully the rains come soon! And lots of it!

BW
X2 Tough year for Ab.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Banned

Listening to the premier and emergency operations right now. Does not sound good at all. 29,000 mandatory evacuations, and just announced that city centre now on mandatory evac. Info and fire situation changeing all the time. Premier is asking other provinces to send trained firefighters. No room in sky for more aircraft, with all the smoke.
Main thing everyone is focusing on is evacuating safely. Everyone is being told to head north. They plan on using site camps for people evacuating.
There is an app to upload on the GOA website that is giving updates continually. Seems it is getting worse by the minute. Good luck everyone out there.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 PM

Radio stations say to go to NorAlta lodge north of town by Suncor but it is full.

The neighbour next door is stuck south of town and all roads are closed at the south end of town so there is no chance for him to get north.

It's getting pretty ugly out there.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Default Update

Fort McMurray is under general evacuation
We are headed north all set to do a cold camp if need be
Everybody north is told to go to Greywolf
From the AO mobile fire watch!
Cat
Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM

If anyone knows evacuees needing accommodations in the Edmonton area, let me know. I was born and raised in the Mac, this is very sad and scary.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Banned

I must say that Premier Notley sounds quite calm and on top of things as she is answering questions from the press. Much better then the 2 top emergency guys that are supposedly in charge of things. They didn't make much sense when trying to explain whats happening and what their plans are.