Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Default This Summer so Far

I thought I would post some pics from the summer.
Police Lake has been a new revelation to me and man I am loving that lake. Only an hour or so of a drive and great scenery.

Another big fighter

My bro. caught this one on the belly river- a rainbow trout?

Hopefully more pics to come. A couple of fishing days still to go in the next two weeks.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 PM

it is beautiful country down there, not that far from me either nice pics, thanks for sharing them

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM

The pic of the last fish is a Brown.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Scuba

Not a brown... The rainbows in the Belly are often heavily spotted like that...
Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Not a brown... The rainbows in the Belly are often heavily spotted like that...
The rainbows in the Belly may be heavily spotted, but that ain't one of 'em!
That, my friend, is 100% brown trout...
Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 PM

That is without question a Brown Trout. I have seen countless threads where browns are often confused for rainbows...I just don't get it? Scary that so many people have such a hard time identifying species.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 PM

If you think Police is good now wait a while. Those fish are aren't indicative of the potential of that lake...they're really nice healthy trout, but catch them again in the fall of '10 or the spring of '11 and you better be ready to hold on tight. Just a beautiful place and so much wildlife around there. It will be great again now that they aren't stocking it to death and people aren't lined up bonking them in their first year.

Definitely a brown trout you have there.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 PM

i didnt know people still used treble hooks. I wonder what the mortallity rate is with a treble hook. Fishing with a treble hook isnt very sporting.
A big thumbs down to you and anyone who is fishing with treble hooks.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM

Squaretail= Brown(if the spots dont give it away,and the gold coloring on the body, and the giant heads on the males)

Brookies have square tails as well but if you cant tell the difference, then....
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM

I fish with trebles for pike, its my choice, not yours, so put that thumb to some other use

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I fish with trebles for pike, its my choice, not yours, so put that thumb to some other use
X2 stick your thumb where the sun don't shine. Treble hooks are good for Pike.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 PM

Hey noob, i dont think that was the smartest thing to say.
If you want to stay here, please be of use. If not then at least dont come out with a statement like that.

This board can be a great place if you dont mess it up for yourself.

Thumbs down for you fishstix, bigtime!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 PM

oh yay another holier than thou person, just what this board needs.....
Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
i didnt know people still used treble hooks. I wonder what the mortallity rate is with a treble hook. Fishing with a treble hook isnt very sporting.
A big thumbs down to you and anyone who is fishing with treble hooks.

Of course people still use treble hooks.

I don't remember where I read the study . . . but mortality is very low in released fish (as long as the release is done well). Mortality rates were only slightly higher when barbless treble hooks were used. Even the survival rate of those caught on barbed trebles is very high (but do have the highest mortality rate).

What was significant in the study was ocular damage. Ocular damage was pretty significant with barbed trebles, and decreases when using barbless trebles. Damage decreased further with single barbed hooks, and was the lowest with barbless single hooks.

I wish I'd saved a copy of that study when I read it: very interesting and enlightening.

Poor release practices contribute to the deaths of more fish . . . I'd be complaining about poor release practices before the use of treble hooks.

Sorry for the hijack. But I just HAD to say something.

EDIT: I forgot to add . . . it looks like you've had a nice summer One_Canadian Some very nice fish, and I do agree that one looks like a brown.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Scuba

/

Last edited by Scuba; 08-31-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 AM

Default back from montana

thought i would show a few more pics from the last week or so. The final trip to montana for the summer and got some fishing in. Caught my second bass ever, this one is bigger than the first so that shows how small the first was!

A nice perch from same lake.

My oldest boy and his first fish:

Our favorite spot on the Middle Fork of Flathead River

A nice thick rainbow from the middle fork of flathead river.

A native cutthroat from the flathead

Here are a couple more from the summer:

Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Look at the grin on his face! That's the best part, isn't it?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Canadian View Post

My oldest boy and his first fish:
Great pics, looks like a good time

And I love this pic...you should have it printed and frame it for the little guy

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-12-2009, 06:45 PM

A native cutthroat from the flathead

cutthroat?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Early spring 70 pound Hali

Couple Lake Newell 4 - 5 pounders..

28 pound west coast wild Chinook a.k.a Bullet Tuna...

Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 PM

seriously????cutthroat???haha omg
no black spots, no red cheeks or red slash behind side fins....yeah, thats a cutthroat......not

Last edited by baitfisher83; 09-12-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
seriously????cutthroat???haha omg
no black spots, no red cheeks or red slash behind side fins....yeah, thats a cutthroat......not
I don't know . . . check out this rainbow:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_noAg96reT_4/Sm...2/P1013024.JPG

It doesn't look like any rainbow I've ever seen! This gentleman knows his fish. His website is here: http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com/. The details on that fish are on the second page of the blog.

After seeing that rainbow . . . that may very well be a cuttie.

I find fish identification a challenge most of the time. That rainbow has turned it all upside down.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

You know what you guys ???

For a frickin change quit being the experts on every thing and just enjoy the pics..

So what if its not a cutty,, I am sure it was thrown back anyways.. Why not try and educate rather than discriminate

Baitfisher,, give it a rest already why don't you actually go out and catch a damn fish for a change rather than sit there and pick people apart.. Get a life !!! lets see some of your pics,, or you haven't found a ride yet ???
Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM

I can't take this anymore...the fish in question is a Bull Trout... not a cutthroat, not even close! Dark Aisling I fail to see how that rainbow is so difficult to identify. It is definately pale in comparison to most rainbows I've seen, however the fins, tail, and pink coloration along the lateral line suggest rainbow all the way. Wow!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Well said Walleyes,All of a sudden everyone is an expert.
Enjoy the pictures and story.
Sonny
Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM

no kidding, i didnt even have to think twice that it was a bull trout, and i havent even caught one before......
and knowing the difference between a cutthroat and a bull doesnt make anyone an expert....
Old 09-12-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzy View Post
I can't take this anymore...the fish in question is a Bull Trout... not a cutthroat, not even close! Dark Aisling I fail to see how that rainbow is so difficult to identify. It is definately pale in comparison to most rainbows I've seen, however the fins, tail, and pink coloration along the lateral line suggest rainbow all the way. Wow!
Hmm. Doesn't take much to push you over the edge. Hope you're not a parent, and hope you don't drive either.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Hmm. Doesn't take much to push you over the edge. Hope you're not a parent, and hope you don't drive either.
Haha Bravo... not sure what that has to do with anything but gave me a good chuckle. You might be surprised what I do for a living, and yes it involves driving a car.

Point being, this is a FISHING FORUM. I am floored by the constant failure to identifiy fish species. I understand there are beginners and people who are new to the sport however, one look at the full color page fish identification chart in the Alberta Provincial Regulations would clearly dictate the species in question. I find it interesting how people are so uptight about conservation, fisheries management, fish handling practices among other things however if we cannot differentiate between species what good is it all? A classic example right here (and before everybody goes off the deep end, I am not saying anybody intended to harvest any fish...I am speaking in general terms)...bull trout are a zero limit...cutthroat on the other hand are available for harvest depending on the management zone. If by chance the bull trout was kept for a meal mistakenly for a cutthroat things could get real bad...loss of fishing gear, large fine...etc, etc, etc. I'm just sayin' it pays to know your fish species.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzy View Post
Haha Bravo... not sure what that has to do with anything but gave me a good chuckle. You might be surprised what I do for a living, and yes it involves driving a car.

Point being, this is a FISHING FORUM. I am floored by the constant failure to identifiy fish species. I understand there are beginners and people who are new to the sport however, one look at the full color page fish identification chart in the Alberta Provincial Regulations would clearly dictate the species in question. I find it interesting how people are so uptight about conservation, fisheries management, fish handling practices among other things however if we cannot differentiate between species what good is it all? A classic example right here (and before everybody goes off the deep end, I am not saying anybody intended to harvest any fish...I am speaking in general terms)...bull trout are a zero limit...cutthroat on the other hand are available for harvest depending on the management zone. If by chance the bull trout was kept for a meal mistakenly for a cutthroat things could get real bad...loss of fishing gear, large fine...etc, etc, etc. I'm just sayin' it pays to know your fish species.
so true, ever notice how people get ****ed off when they're corrected???stupid thing is it wasn't the guy who posted it who's going up in flames about it....
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM

ya im sure they are!