Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
Learn how to fish then pop by.
What's ur damage boy. To each their own. Free country remember? I won't get into it. Learn how to speak, then perhaps press SEND.
So hard not to feed the trolls Geez, I dunno, harder to stay silent for me
Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? That's what you use to get your 32 pike a day? Why do you need to use multiple treble hooks? One for the mouth, and the other to get into his gills or the eye or your finger. Multiple treble hooks are a joke. Ive never seen any fish grab any other than 1 hook. Nice catch and release practice.
Ever heard of a stinger hook? How about Rapalas? How many of their lures have more than one treble?

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot. A fish will ALWAYS bite the tail first. I guess we should all be using only one hook.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
What's ur damage boy. To each their own. Free country remember? I won't get into it. Learn how to speak, then perhaps press SEND.
Your telling me to learn how to speak?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Ever heard of a stinger hook? How about Rapalas? How many of their lures have more than one treble?

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot. A fish will ALWAYS bite the tail first. I guess we should all be using only one hook.
That's right. One treble hook at most. Some BC lakes are starting to allow only 1 single hook, not even a treble. Never seen a fish take a rapala treble other than the tail.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
How to TYPE.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usie33 View Post
i have heard you can dye your own smelts, and im just wondering how to do this the best way.

I know there is a powder you can buy. It adds colour and smell to your bait but I can't remember the brand.
Sorry
Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Nope, just suggesting your words are not very choice ones. Hey man, u have your ways and others have theirs. It is what it is, regs are different everywhere these days. Jus sayin....
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM

Personally I use 2 #8 trebel hooks on all my pike rigs.

They work great, and since they are barbless, they come out with very little fuss.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Personally I use 2 #8 trebel hooks on all my pike rigs.

They work great, and since they are barbless, they come out with very little fuss.
Does'nt matter if they are barbless when they get in their eye or gills.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Ok kids enough rabble rousing...back to the topic.....
Making some blue and Green smelts for Sunday...hope the pike like them...btw smelts seem to be taking the color better than minnows
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Does'nt matter if they are barbless when they get in their eye or gills.
According to you and your experience ( or lack of) they only go after the tails though?? And ur tellin people how to fish U know what bud, it is clear to me u are jus tryin to start somethin here I'm not gonna play this game as much as I'd like to, believe me! Sell bull **** somewhere else, we're all stocked up here
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM

BF is right. Sorry usiee for contributing to ruining ur thread. There is some good info here
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM

I couldn't agree more with you fishfinder, exept I may have added a little more. But thanks for some of the info guys. Is there any other sents that people have tried that seemed to work well?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 PM

fyi if you try food coloring, dont put too much in...the blue goes really dark if you do
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
According to you and your experience ( or lack of) they only go after the tails though?? And ur tellin people how to fish U know what bud, it is clear to me u are jus tryin to start somethin here I'm not gonna play this game as much as I'd like to, believe me! Sell bull **** somewhere else, we're all stocked up here
You're absolutely right, we should let the hook manufacturers dictate how our waters are fished. The single barbless hook is just a political gimmick. Stupid biologists and their theories eh.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHound View Post
I couldn't agree more with you fishfinder, exept I may have added a little more. But thanks for some of the info guys. Is there any other sents that people have tried that seemed to work well?
A buddy and I fished Rattlesnake last year and had a half day fish off. We both used the same lure as we trolled and he used some stuff called Megabite or somethin like that. Basically smelled like garlic to me. Rub it on ur bait. I tried it but said Nay. We were tied 12 pike each...he won, as we trolled in and wrangled the 13th and winner of the fish off, but he had given up on the Megastrike/Megasomthin long b4? Other than that, which aint much help for me, natural presentation seems to work well
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM

There was a great article in a Fishing magazine back a few years ago. It was on European fishing and deadsticking or Floatfishing with colored baits. They would have a variety of "colored baits" to use while fishing for Pike. I'm sure if you Google it, you would come up with some intertesting info. Europeans have been using this tactic for quite some time.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 PM

Bigger Rainbows will hammer a rap from the front at a 45 degree angle.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Word bird. I have seen it. As well as a hungry pike, heck if u look at a large pike the wrong way, it'll go for ur pupil!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Pretty common for the bigger Browns to hit a rap from the side as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely right, we should let the hook manufacturers dictate how our waters are fished. The single barbless hook is just a political gimmick. Stupid biologists and their theories eh.
Not what I am implying at all. All I'm saying is it is any persons right to fish however they choose, within the regs, as long as it's legal. I commend ur fish friendly style as I too am a single hook, C n R man, but it don't give u the right to bash the way others fish. Especially when ur judging from one picture???
Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanks for all the info, i used some food coloring last night and it worked quite well. i even threw some garlic in batch so we'll see how those do. also i am thinking of goin to clear lake on sat, so im just wondering if you can drive on and also if there is some tasty burbs in there.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

What kind of garlic did you use: garlic salt, powder, fresh . . . ?

I'm thinking I'll do up some pink smelts with garlic (and some undyed with garlic).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM

I like to use Anise, or Licorice scent sometimes. Find it works really well for most trout species, and have had ome luck using it for pike as well. I know when I use my jigs, that it has worked well putting the anise extract in a small jar, and leaving the jigs in the jar as well.
Anise used to be a very come bait scent.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:54 PM

I won't be so easy on Enzo.. I will challenge how you speak...
If you wish to criticize a person for what he or she writes, then make sure you can spell, and use the proper grammar before posting. Do not berate others if you are flawed yourself.
This is not meant for any of my fishing friends on here that do not spell well, or have bad grammar, just a point to 'Mr. YoYo' that you don't criticize others while you yourself are doing so with errors.
Getting back to the topic though...
I dye a lot of my bait as well, but do try to stick to as natural products as I can, as to help out ecologically.. I did use the bluing agent mentioned, but read somewhere recently that some of the chemicals used it are not safe for consumption, so I stopped using it. Most of the food colorings now do not contain the dangerous coloring agents that previous one did.
As far as Anise is conderned, it is still widely considered a great attractant, and one I use continually. Although it is expensive, you can grind and simmer Star Anise in a little water until it reduces to a thicker consistency, and use it. It works wonders on trout and walleye, though I am not sure it does a lot for perch.
My opinion only though.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Well, we'll see how this works out. I purchased a big bag of smelts at Superstore. I divided it roughly into thirds. 1/3 is soaking in kosher salt. 1/3 is soaking in kosher salt and garlic powder (too busy---lazy---to mince up garlic). The last 1/3 is soaking in red food colouring and kosher salt. The salt is simply to toughen them up.

Baitfisher did her's without salt, but did do up several different colours.

We'll see which ones the pike like better.

I chose kosher salt as I don't think it has iodine in it (can't find it listed on the package anywhere, anyway).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM

sounds like a fish off to me Im using plain old stinky smelts.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie55 View Post
I won't be so easy on Enzo.. I will challenge how you speak...
If you wish to criticize a person for what he or she writes, then make sure you can spell, and use the proper grammar before posting. Do not berate others if you are flawed yourself.
This is not meant for any of my fishing friends on here that do not spell well, or have bad grammar, just a point to 'Mr. YoYo' that you don't criticize others while you yourself are doing so with errors.
Please tell me where I have a spelling error or have the improper use of grammer. Improper spelling, grammer and slang are for chat rooms. This forum is often confused as one.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Pro cure works well just remember to use gloves or you will have pink hands for a while. Comes in different colors and flavors too.

Good on ya girls for giving it your best. Best of luck to you fishing.

With the salt though you may find that it turns the fish off a bit even the Kosher salt.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Havent tried salted smelts for pike, but I know salt is a walleye attractant

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich