Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Bass in Alberta Vote
Yes Stock bass please! 137 62.84%
No Don't 81 37.16%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Yup limiting the number of angler licenses given out is a bad choice and will only lead to more poaching.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Default I like this guy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
Barbless Rules = Fish Mortality due to OVERFISHING
Bait Bans = Fish Mortality due to OVERFISHING
Size Limits = Due to Overfishing
Total Closure of a specific species = The FAILURE of BULL TROUT to thrive is due to overfishing OVERFISHING and their VERY specific reaction to Climate Change.

Does anyone see the pattern here? Everybody is Mother Nature 'Ra, Ra' RA' don't mess with 'Mother Nature' ra.... Well, lemme tell you that what we have done to SUPPORT the BULL TROUT is WAAAAAY beyond ANYTHING that can be called Natural or 'MOTHER NATURISH' in ANY way, shape, or form. BULL TROUT can ONLY live in the 'CLEANEST' of waters and therefore subceptible to ANY change in water as far as POLLUTION is concerned. THAT is PRECISELY WHY OTHER TROUT HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED TO ALBERTA!!!!!! Doesn't ANYONE UNDERSTAND this?? It's been almost 20 YEARS and we STILL cannot fish for those stupid fish! Cut em' loose, let em' go if they CANNOT adapt and make 'some other fish' the 'PROVINCIAL FISH' of Alberta... Good Grief MOTHER NATURE does it ALL the time. If we want 'MOTHER NATURE' to take care of things, then let it happen to ALL the fish and stop stocking... Mother Nature will kick the FISHERIES AZZ!!

ALBERTA fisheries are in HUGE trouble because of TWO things that are UNDENIABLE... OVERFISHING and the PLACEMENT of 100's of THOUSANDS of fish in WATERS that CANNOT and WILL NOT SUSTAIN them!! There is NO FRIGGIN' food for them too eat... Certainly no QUALITY food! ON TOP of those problems, we are 'HELL BENT' on supporting SO MANY of the 'SLOWEST GROWING GAMEFISH' in NORTH AMERICA!... LOL. It makes NO SENSE when we have these issues AND 400 ANGLERS per LAKE!

What also makes no sense is people 'Bitching' about Small Stunted Perch! WTH is that all about? Doesn't matter HOW you may try and DENY it, PERCH are PAN-FISH (not GAMEFISH) and they should be in MANY lakes and waters that have WALLEYE and PIKE so they can BE EATEN! Who CARES how big they get..! As long as they populate (which they're good at) and make the WALLEYE and PIKE nice and FAT and ABOVE ALL,.. HEALTHY!

Alberta fishing SUCKS because we aren't DEALING with the FISHING PRESSURE properly... Bring in TONS of Baitfish and Panfish and start FEEDING these fish, stocking the right LAKES and re-evaluate the REALLY poor fisheries and put something ELSE in those. Any lake that can't support WALLEYE can sure as hell support Sunfish or Perch.. Use those lakes as 'Pan-Fish breeding lakes, occasionally netting and transferring 'breeding fish' to other lakes and reservoirs thus keeping the WALLEYE fisheries HEALTHY enough to REALLY POPULATE!

Worried about Bucket Brigades? Let's get REALLY TOUGH and make the fines SO HUGE that if they get caught doing ANY of it, they either GO TO JAIL or pay a $50,000 fine!
Enough is enough, we need to do SOMETHING drastic for our Fisheries, cause there is NOTHING NATURAL about OUR Fisheries RIGHT NOW and 'MOTHER NATURE' if left to do 'HER THING' (as many of you would like,,,) would MERCILESSLY kick our azzes due to our ALREADY MASSIVE interference... Let's do in right.

Cheers,
great post dude
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I don't have the time to really get in to all this post. So much wrong, so little time. This little nugget caught my eye. The reason people are "bitching" about stunted perch is because they were introduced illegally in to bodies of water that don't have pike or walleye to feed on them. They take over the lake and boom nothing but 4" perch. Totally screwed watershed.

By introducing outside species we risk what is happening down in the states with Silver carp and other invasive species. Quit screwing with the balance of nature.

If over fishing is the problem limit the number of licenses that are issued. Boom problem solved.
BAHAHAHAHAHAH....

WHAT BODY OF WATER COULD A PERCH POSSIBLY TAKE OVER ? LOL..... Lake Sundance? That place is a POND and the TROUT sure don't seem to be getting ANY smaller..lol What do you think it IS that a PERCH will EAT that has NO WALLEYE and NO PIKE in it? What the hell is left for the PERCH to take over? They should be FISH FOOD or for 'CHILDREN' to catch, along with Sunfish.. LOL.

We've HAD IMPORTED fish here for eighty FREAKIN' years! EVER heard of the BOW RIVER? One of the BEST, If not the BEST TROUT FISHERY in the WORLD!! How do you think IT got that way??

Wait until the ANGLERS per lake REACHES 500 and the ONLY thing you're catching IS PERCH!! LOL...

BTW, go ahead and LIMIT the LICENSES (let's start with yours since it's YOUR idea!)

:P

Cheers,
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
great post dude
Thanks Man...

I'm no 'FISH EXPERT' (that's pretty obvious) but I know that the FISHERY is SCREWED for CERTAIN if it continues the 'way it is' at present... We need some 'changes' and I think it's time for a 'petition' or 'two'.... :P

Cheers,
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
BAHAHAHAHAHAH....

WHAT BODY OF WATER COULD A PERCH POSSIBLY TAKE OVER ? LOL..... Lake Sundance? That place is a POND and the TROUT sure don't seem to be getting ANY smaller..lol What do you think it IS that a PERCH will EAT that has NO WALLEYE and NO PIKE in it? What the hell is left for the PERCH to take over? They should be FISH FOOD or for 'CHILDREN' to catch, along with Sunfish.. LOL.

We've HAD IMPORTED fish here for eighty FREAKIN' years! EVER heard of the BOW RIVER? One of the BEST, If not the BEST TROUT FISHERY in the WORLD!! How do you think IT got that way??

Wait until the ANGLERS per lake REACHES 500 and the ONLY thing you're catching IS PERCH!! LOL...

BTW, go ahead and LIMIT the LICENSES (let's start with yours since it's YOUR idea!)

:P

Cheers,
Lake Sundance is once example. Cummings Lake is another. Hasse Lake. On and on. Perch eat the bugs and water creatures and compete directly with the trout in those lakes. Hence no trout left in Cummings Lake and others. As been said in the past, perch without a predator to keep them in check the population explodes to beyond the carrying capacity and the perch stop growing.

Alberta has bigger problems to worry about than introducing outside species. Lets worry about what we have and what to do about those species before we start talking about introducing ANY MORE. Clear enough for you?

I half heartedly said limit licenses. You and others were bitching about too many anglers. I said the simple way to fix that is limit the number of licenses issued. Anyone caught fishing without a license gets a $500 fine. Pretty easy way to raise revenue huh?

I contend that trying to fix our fisheries by introducing outside species is wrong and should not be done, ever.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 PM

bumpp
Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 PM

We, as people in general, have a severe problem, with feeling the need to tamper with and change things from thier natural state. As much as I love my Brook Trout, my Browns, as much as I love the southern alberta Rainbows, as much as I love the cutts in the high alpine lakes... the fact is THEY SHOULD NOT BE THERE. Nature did not intend for them to be there, but we felt a need to change things to make them as we wanted. And as a result the native species... the Bull Trout, the Athabasca Rainbows, the Westslope Cutts have suffered. Look at the Cave and Basin hot springs. The introduction of the three invasive fish species there led to the EXTINCTION of the unique subspecies of stickleback that called the springs home. Albeit our knowledge of our impact on the environment was significantly less then what it is now, when we made some of these decisions. However, now that we know of the potential consequences of our actions, let us consider them carefully, and NOT make the same mistake again.

Do not introduce Bass to Alberta.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:18 AM

Default intro

isnt there a specie of shark that can live in freshwater and salt water? im getting an idea !
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
isnt there a specie of shark that can live in freshwater and salt water? im getting an idea !
Has to be tropical water.. very warm. I googled lol...
Old 07-04-2010, 03:38 PM

Default Good Topic!

Just caught my first bass a couple days ago at Duck Lake near Creston BC. The two I caught weren't anything to write home about but I was surprised by the fight those little suckers put up, lol. I am not opposed to seeing bass introduced to Alberta as long as it's done in a safe and sustainable way. There is always a chance, as some of you have pointed out, that irresponsible anglers will catch and release bass into 'virgin' waters. However, what also concerns me is Mother Nature herself. For example, I was at Bower Ponds in Red Deer this morning which use to be stocked with Rainbows but flooding a few years back introduced Pike into the ponds... With the recent heavy rains we've seen all over Alberta it is easy to see how flooding could represent a greater risk than many other factors, allowing potentially foreign species the opportunity to gain access to major waterways. If bass are to be introduced I hope it's done responsibly and in a way that eliminates any potential risk factors.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Bass have been introduced into Alberta over a very long period of time. In the early days lakes like Wabamun and Lac St. Anne had different varieties of Bass introduced with no success.

Small mouth Bass were introduced into Smoke Lake north of the town of Smokey Lake during the early eighties. They survived there for about five years. Maximum size was a couple of pounds.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM

I am pretty sure i hooked a Halibut or something slow trolling in 50fow the other day out on Sylvan, what ever it was hugged the bottom and headed straight out at an incredible rate of acceleration. Spooled off 200-250 yards of 20lb mono, i picked it up once my i got into the backing but there was nothing i could do.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM

I would love to be able to fish bass in alberta, but the problem is it will take away lakes with trout in them. I lived in Ontario for a few years and fished the lots of lakes with both bass and trout and the trout just move out to deeper waters and is alot harder to catch. Bass are very aggressive and will eat anything smaller then itself.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Very interesting to see the results of the poll,

some people bring up good points about not introducing them.
But I believe Alberta is in rough shape with their current fisheries, their has to be a change in that first before the thought of introducing new species.

Lakes have to be more balanced in predator and prey for a healthy and sustaining population of fish to occur.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Default No bass!!!!

Bass are just old Walleye that have lost there teeth and moved south.... Keep them out of here!!! This is Walleye country!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM

yes yes , so nice have bass in alberta aaaaa++++