Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Default 438 sheep

First off holy sh#t I couldn't bealeave it when I checked my wife's draw results she got first hunt 438 sheep. And now the stressed part I never really hunted that way so now I need to educate my self to make her dream hunt be sucessful lol . Any. One hunt there on here ?
One question I have are sheep a tuff animal as for certain calibers needed. My wife shoots a 7mm08( I'd prefer her to use my 7wsm but she don't like that rifle) and I've never doughted 7mm08 caliber ever or what have you guys used to kill sheep.

I'm going to take a quading trip early this fall and look around and see what it looks like. But is there any resorses as far as detailed maps or anything and what terrain is it out there like Easter accesses . Thanks for any input folks
Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 PM

7mm08 is plenty...quad is not going to help you there it's pretty much all on foot...the hunt is far from easy when your hiking in a foot of snow and sitting all day long in the November weather
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Get you and your wife the best pair of boots you can buy....typically you cannot "quad" to where you find the sheep....

Sheep aren't tough but you want to be able to "anchor" them the best you can.

Have either of you hunted for sheep at all before?

If not it is certainly unlike any huting you have ever done....

There is a member here who has been drawn a few times for that area....he might be able to offer some assistance to you.

LC
Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Is it wrong that I can't tell if we're making fun of all the people who put in for this draw and turn out shutting it down day three, if they go at all........

If it's legit.....just make sure you get a nice sheep, or watch the sun go down from the top of the mountain on the last day.....and congrats
Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM

Im a little confused... (If i am wrong please correct me)

You are excited because you won a sheep draw for WMU 438?

Looking at the regs you can purchase a general tag for WMU 348.... the season is just A25 - O31 rather than November.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Ya but, 348 isn't 438 when it comes to sheep.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
Im a little confused... (If i am wrong please correct me)

You are excited because you won a sheep draw for WMU 438?

Looking at the regs you can purchase a general tag for WMU 348.... the season is just A25 - O31 rather than November.
Yes there is a general season in 438. This is a special license lottery draw split into three different 10 day hunts In November. Last year 5 people received tags for each time slot.

The reason those of us who were drawn are excited is we have a chance to hunt world class bighorns in the rut. I was fortunate to be one of those lucky people this year! I hope that those who apply for this draw realize the kind of work involved in a sheep hunt and don't let it go to waste. There are plenty of guys and gals that would love to put the time, sweat and tears into this hunt.

Congrats to everyone to drew this tag. I'll see you out there scouting and in November.

Cheers

Ben
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Haven't hunted it myself, but have 2 Buds that have in separate years,, 'toughest hunt" they have ever been on was the common line, one fellow has done a lot of hunting outside North America, that said it is a chance at a world class Bighorn, but it does also point out the one of the problems with our draw system and people shotgun applying, cause it's only 3 bucks.......
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Banned

Oops, double tap.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
it does also point out the one of the problems with our draw system and people shotgun applying, cause it's only 3 bucks.......
Absolute truth for sure. Threads like this illustrate to perfection a large problem with Alberta's draw system.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanka View Post
Yes there is a general season in 438. This is a special license lottery draw split into three different 10 day hunts In November. Last year 5 people received tags for each time slot.

The reason those of us who were drawn are excited is we have a chance to hunt world class bighorns in the rut. I was fortunate to be one of those lucky people this year! I hope that those who apply for this draw realize the kind of work involved in a sheep hunt and don't let it go to waste. There are plenty of guys and gals that would love to put the time, sweat and tears into this hunt.

Congrats to everyone to drew this tag. I'll see you out there scouting and in November.

Cheers

Ben

Ohh ok. So its areas of 438 that are not part of the "general area". Got it.

I have to ask.....Am I correct in saying that the meat from one of these Bighorns in the rut will taste bad...I hear meat from a male in the rut is terrible... So I assume this is simply for the head/trophy?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:15 PM

Default taste good

Those rut rams taste like high grade Swiss chocolate. Especially after carrying one on your back through the mountains for a few miles.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:

I have to ask.....Am I correct in saying that the meat from one of these Bighorns in the rut will taste bad...I hear meat from a male in the rut is terrible... So I assume this is simply for the head/trophy?
Not really a different area. It explains it all in the regs when you read through it.

Sheep meat is great. Especially when you cook up sheep stew In camp after living on oatmeal and mountain house meals for 10 days. Shot my last ram in September can't imagine that the meat would taste any different in the rut considering most deer are shot in the rut and taste fantastic as well.

Cheers
Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:

No it's the same 438 area that is open for general only difference is they rut in late November to early December also the sheep come down where the feed is
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 PM

Make sure you guys have top notch gear. It is cold and windy like you wouldn't believe. We packed my sheep off the mountain in 100 km plus winds! The one guy helped his wife get a ram last year, and believe me when I say he busted his butt to help make it happen for her. The nobody shot a ram in the first season last year, so be prepared to sit and wait all ten days. Best of luck!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
No it's the same 438 area that is open for general only difference is they rut in late November to early December also the sheep come down where the feed is

Got it!! Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
7mm08 is plenty...quad is not going to help you there it's pretty much all on foot...the hunt is far from easy when your hiking in a foot of snow and sitting all day long in the November weather
They'll need some luck to only have to walk thru one foot of snow.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 AM

A person not knowing anything about sheep hunting but utilizing the draw system to win a tag to only start asking questions after the fact about sheep hunting and what it all entails, would be like a fat slob entering a bodybuilding competition, filling out the forms then asking what foods he should start eating and training programs he should utilize......

WOW.................
Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
A person not knowing anything about sheep hunting but utilizing the draw system to win a tag to only start asking questions after the fact about sheep hunting and what it all entails, would be like a fat slob entering a bodybuilding competition, filling out the forms then asking what foods he should start eating and training programs he should utilize......

WOW.................
Get over yourself it's a draw he pulled a tag he can do whatever he wants with it try to hide your jealousy a t least a little bit. ...........WOW
Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:

WOW.................
Everyone deserves the opportunity to try it out and learn what its about.. If only the people who knew about sheep hunting could enter the draw for the tag than the sheep hunting community would die after 1 generation. Be happy for the guy and yes I do hope he utilizes the tag/opportunity.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Check with Srd office in Hinton they will have a answer to most of your questions
http://outdoorquestblog.blogspot.ca/...1_archive.html
http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...Sheep-2011.pdf

its not hard if they come off the mine site

there are about 250 Rams in the herds and its about 10 square miles of disturbed land

you can walk right up to most

just stay off mine lease or this could happen

http://www2.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb/...06abpc0369.pdf

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=3

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wssmwhistler View Post
First off holy sh#t I couldn't bealeave it when I checked my wife's draw results she got first hunt 438 sheep. And now the stressed part I never really hunted that way so now I need to educate my self to make her dream hunt be sucessful lol . Any. One hunt there on here ?
One question I have are sheep a tuff animal as for certain calibers needed. My wife shoots a 7mm08( I'd prefer her to use my 7wsm but she don't like that rifle) and I've never doughted 7mm08 caliber ever or what have you guys used to kill sheep.

I'm going to take a quading trip early this fall and look around and see what it looks like. But is there any resorses as far as detailed maps or anything and what terrain is it out there like Easter accesses . Thanks for any input folks

Last edited by Speckle55; 07-18-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:

WOW.................
That's a pretty good analogy. This should be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Get over yourself it's a draw he pulled a tag he can do whatever he wants with it try to hide your jealousy a t least a little bit. ...........WOW
Glad to see you understand the issue here. You seem to be suggesting that HE will be hunting sheep. At least this time it was a person whose name was on the WIN number and not a pet. At 3 bucks per application thee are far too many daughters, cousins, wives and dogs in a few of these draws, not to mention all the newfies that aren't actually residents of this province other than for the convenience of accessing hunting opportunities.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM

wssmwhistler, I hope you have fun and your wife has a great hunt.

There are a lot of unfounded accusations being tossed about in this thread.

A Petty and sad reflection.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Sheep hunting

Hey folks so thank you for the congrats made to my wife those of you that did and-all and well the rest what ever. Fist off I didn't ask how to hunt sheep. Any intell or advise in any situation or more knowledge gained or learned is all tools to be better .and how is any one saposto learn or become a sheep hunter if a person doesn't try or start some were. I have bin on 3 sheep hunts my self with the first 2 more less being the ride along. But have never bin successful but still loved it and enjoyed the opportunity. So as far as stuck up hunters with bad attitudes I have no time for but any one willing to help another out why not and I have I'd love to see some one be successful because of my help and I can say I did with 3 antalope hunts and on my last day scouting for sheep last year a cuple of guys that I met along the trail a cuple of days in a row and were willing to work together as far as ground covered and areas to check type of thing I showed them exact location of a herd and got a phone call 3 day later saying that one little spot helped and managed to get one out of there.
So yes I've hunted for sheep but I'm not saying I know a lot and well applying for 438 is saposto be an amazing hunt with opportunity of world class sheep who wouldn't want to try for a trophy when your mainly a meat hunter. I just don't know the area and my wife is the one who always said this hunt would be fun and exciting to shoot a big horn. She has bin up in that area some where quading with family. so that's why I do ask question and for advise witch is very appreciated. like I said before any ways to be successful I'll take I think any one would.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 PM

wssmwhistler,

The suspicion towards your situation here is understandable, and your posts have been mostly about you, not the person with the tag. As a suggestion, have your wife sign up for AO and she can seek the information herself. I suspect that she will be well received.

---

Any concerns that one might have about the licence holder not being the one to pull the trigger can be assured that very few rams are ever shot on this hunt without witnesses observing the kill, and likely recording it too. One would have to be loco to use another person's tag on this hunt.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-19-2014, 04:07 AM

So what is the whole story with someone's pet being drawn for 438 sheep? Have heard it referenced a number of times, but never heard the whole tale. Please, do share...
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Banned

God our draw system is a joke. Hope these people put more effort on than half of last years eSte that quit early!!!!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsZ7 View Post
God our draw system is a joke. Hope these people put more effort on than half of last years eSte that quit early!!!!
how is the ''draw system'' supposed to differentiate die hards from lazy azzes
Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 AM

Besides.... if the lazy azzes get drawn and don't go that just means there'll be one more sheep up for grabs for those lucky enough to ever get drawn.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Congrats on you and your wifes tag. 438C in November is a differnet beast altogether the biigest thing will be the wind. Its a bit of a mental hunt because you will see heards of sheep and legal rams everyday. but they wont be in areas you are able to shoot them. You will hike straight past them and sit in the snow and wind hoping something will make a move up the hill. Early season might be a bit tough. but i would go grab a map from the Hinton office make your 3 hikes into the areas you will hunt know your mine bountries and do not tresspass. All the areas you can pretty much "glass" from the hwy and it more or less takes an hr or 2 to make your way up the trail to where you can hunt. When it happens it happens the animals move and sheep step off the mine. Seems to me there are less big rams around than past years but that being said there still seems to be a few good brusiers around.

Good Luck