Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM

Default WMU 410 Canmore Sheep

Has anyone ever hunting Bighorn Sheep in the Canmore bow zone. I hunting next year in November and looking for a partner to come along. Or if any has any tips. I was planning on hiking into Exshaw Mountain.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Archer View Post
Has anyone ever hunting Bighorn Sheep in the Canmore bow zone. I hunting next year in November and looking for a partner to come along. Or if any has any tips. I was planning on hiking into Exshaw Mountain.
First post and this is it. Ya good luck with that.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 PM

PM me with your questions. I'll help you out, had this tag last year.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsZ7 View Post
First post and this is it. Ya good luck with that.
Whats wrong with that question? seemed like a a fine question. I thought that is what this section was for. Just asked for some tips not coordinates.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
so you already Know your going to draw a tag next year? you must have an assload of priority saved up. 10-12 years might guarantee you a tag and if you've been putting in that long one would think maybe a little scouting trip would have been done already.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM

He might not have to draw to hunt anywhere he wants...just saying
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM

http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...ode30-2013.pdf

According to last years summary, priority 8 would guarantee you a tag.

I honestly don't get the problem with the OP's post. It is a tag that doesn't come that often and for a rare time of year to hunt sheep. There are many that ask these questions for these "special" tags, that don't get flak.......I guess it depends who you are on this forum.

I am also not sure that scouting for this tag any other time than November would do a person much good. If the rams are in the same areas or acting the same way in Sept and Oct, as they are while rutting in November, why bother with the draw......just go on the general tag. I can imagine some hunters with tags for November may frown upon a bunch of people scouting the area while they are attempting their hunt.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Next November would be the only time I'd ever have a chance at hunting that area. And this November I have a bison hunt I can't rebook or I lose my money. I don't have time to scout and yes game act differently and are not always in the same location when the rut kicks in. I didn't think my post was that bad. I was hoping for any tips or help of any kind. Or someone to come along. Some people enjoy just getting out and being there. I would appreciate anything and if you want to keep it private, message me.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Next November would be the only time I'd ever have a chance at hunting that area. And this November I have a bison hunt I can't rebook or I lose my money. I don't have time to scout and yes game act differently and are not always in the same location when the rut kicks in. I didn't think my post was that bad. I was hoping for any tips or help of any kind. Or someone to come along. Some people enjoy just getting out and being there. I would appreciate anything and if you want to keep it private, message me.
so you have the priority built up to draw the tag? as in its a DRAW tag in November.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...ode30-2013.pdf

According to last years summary, priority 8 would guarantee you a tag.

I honestly don't get the problem with the OP's post. It is a tag that doesn't come that often and for a rare time of year to hunt sheep. There are many that ask these questions for these "special" tags, that don't get flak.......I guess it depends who you are on this forum.

I am also not sure that scouting for this tag any other time than November would do a person much good. If the rams are in the same areas or acting the same way in Sept and Oct, as they are while rutting in November, why bother with the draw......just go on the general tag. I can imagine some hunters with tags for November may frown upon a bunch of people scouting the area while they are attempting their hunt.

even though 7's drew last year this year it could be a 10 or 11 to get drawn look at the 999's there are 208 last year with a 9 or higher priority. if all of them decided they want a tag it would take 7 years to clear out that group alone. Last year alone 849 new applicants applied for this tag. it wont be long until this is a impossible draw tag.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
even though 7's drew last year this year it could be a 10 or 11 to get drawn look at the 999's there are 208 last year with a 9 or higher priority. if all of them decided they want a tag it would take 7 years to clear out that group alone. Last year alone 849 new applicants applied for this tag. it wont be long until this is a impossible draw tag.

You are right......there is an increase in applicants every year, just like all the other draws; although I only see an increase of 321 applicants from 2012 to 2013: and unfortunately, like all of the other draws, over time, the wait time will gradually increase.

However, if the quota drawn in 2013 was 50 like all the years previous, instead of 30, all of the 7's would have been drawn, just like all the years going back to 2007.

As for all of the 999er's deciding to draw this tag in one year.......well it is possible, but highly unlikely.

Having said all of this, the overall point of my previous post was not really to discuss the finer points of the draw statistics, but instead to explain my reasoning for not having a problem with a fellow asking about a potential partner and possible advice for a rare and unique upcoming hunt.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
You are right......there is an increase in applicants every year, just like all the other draws; although I only see an increase of 321 applicants from 2012 to 2013: and unfortunately, like all of the other draws, over time, the wait time will gradually increase.

However, if the quota drawn in 2013 was 50 like all the years previous, instead of 30, all of the 7's would have been drawn, just like all the years going back to 2007.

As for all of the 999er's deciding to draw this tag in one year.......well it is possible, but highly unlikely.

Having said all of this, the overall point of my previous post was not really to discuss the finer points of the draw statistics, but instead to explain my reasoning for not having a problem with a fellow asking about a potential partner and possible advice for a rare and unique upcoming hunt.
we still don't know if he is eligible to draw such a tag
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM

Talking

I suppose your right. I am going to assume that since he has asked about the November time frame, that he is fairly certain he will draw the tag next year.......but we all know where assumptions can lead to.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 PM

I am fairly certain & didn't realize this post would make so many people angry.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am fairly certain & didn't realize this post would make so many people angry.
exshaw is a good place to start but wouldn't limit your search to there the outfitter sets up camp in the head of the valley. its a long day hike but can be done. most of the area can be hunted by day hikes
Old 07-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Default 410 sheep

Get in a scout trip or two, no matter the time of year, just knowing the lay of the land will save you precious time during the hunt. Get into the best shape you can.

If you use the search function on here you will find some very valuable information on which gear has worked, or not, for others during late season mountain hunts. And the biggest tip;( In my opinion) You need to be mentally ready for constant challenge, wind, cold etc. don't give up.

Also, we expect pictures!

Good Luck!

S.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Yeah I'll be posting pics if so lucky. In exshaw are the outfitters on the second ridge?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I'll be posting pics if so lucky. In exshaw are the outfitters on the second ridge?
they fly camp in right to the head of the valley. there is a pass right there. I believe its the pass into the ghost.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Right on thanks.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 PM

I may be interested. Wasn't really planning on pulling the tag next year but I also wasn't expecting to find someone else who is going to have a tag.

What are your plans?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM

The outfitter sets up in exshaw valley at the saddle between the ghost and 410. They are in that spot between two peaks so a natural travel route(if there is one for sheep) they set up a camp at the end of October and remove any camps that are already set up. They will hold that spot until all of their clients are tagged out. I believe the other vallys are simmalar. You do have a chance if the ram slips by while they are taking lunch, miss their shot or opurtunity or if they pass through in the night.
I also noticed some whole oats in the snow out there. I thought it was for horses for the clients but they walk in. Another thing that I noticed is the ewes feed consistently in front of one particular blind at about 15 yards, kind of like a pet.
Outfitters success rate is far greater than residents. Far more experienced I guess. They hunt those spots year after year for generations.
Best of luck!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Can that outfitter (or any outfitter for that matter) block the public from using those spots?? Those travel routes have been there for thousands of years so how can any individual just claim it as their own?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
The outfitter sets up in exshaw valley at the saddle between the ghost and 410. They are in that spot between two peaks so a natural travel route(if there is one for sheep) they set up a camp at the end of October and remove any camps that are already set up. They will hold that spot until all of their clients are tagged out. I believe the other vallys are simmalar. You do have a chance if the ram slips by while they are taking lunch, miss their shot or opurtunity or if they pass through in the night.

I also noticed some whole oats in the snow out there. I thought it was for horses for the clients but they walk in. Another thing that I noticed is the ewes feed consistently in front of one particular blind at about 15 yards, kind of like a pet.

Outfitters success rate is far greater than residents. Far more experienced I guess. They hunt those spots year after year for generations.
Best of luck!

Before I start banging my head on the stone wall.....

Did you take photographs and make the call?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C.W. View Post

If you use the search function on here
Sure would be nice if it let you search for three character queries. Like WMUs.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Is that not in the park side? I thought wmu 410 was all crown land. I thought the outfitters had to hunt within the zone.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:52 PM

I quoted the wrong one. I was referring to heretohunt's quote. You said they set up between ghost river and 410 in the park. I thought the outfitters had to hunt within 410, which is all crown
Old 07-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Yeah, I know. I'm sure that they have been operating like this for quite some time. It took me a while to figure out that they never had horses there I don't think that fish and wildlife is going to walk in there in a foot or more snow to bother a 30k hunt on some info that someone found domestic oats in the mountains. Also I assume they have established a relationship over the years.

They are hunting in 410 but along the boundary.

To answer the question if anyone can hunt there. They set up in October and leave their camp there within 100 yds. I've asked my self what I should have done but... If you drew a tag every year you would probably have to have a discussion with them but once or twice in a lifetime?
It's not their first rodeo... Just so you know one of the challenges of hunting there.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM

I understand Heretohunt, there's been more than a few times I wish I was on the ball. But I'm glad you shared the story. There will be more eyes and cameras out there this year and the year after that....

This should be a lesson shared and a lesson learned. People, please help enforce our hunting laws or we all will suffer the consequences.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 PM

I was thinking of hiking in along side exshaw mountain to the west straight north to close to the 410 zone edge and set up. Is there a helicopter company that would fly your gear in? Is that a smart trail/path to hike in.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM

It looks like the exshaw creek between two ridges. Is there a helicopter company that would fly your gear in? Is that a smart trail/path to go?