Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 PM

Default Looking for tips on every WMU, help needed

Sarcasm on:

I drew every tag available to me in a bunch of zones that I hardly even know how to get to let alone hunt in. Looking for everyone's honey holes and secret spots. It will be just me, except for the zones where my wife drew tags, she doesn't really hunt, so vehicle access will be super important.

Ps. I've been a member since 2009 and only have 4 posts, all of which ask this same question when I actually get a draw.

Thanks in advance (since I'm gonna sign out for 2 years now)

1 post a year guy
Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 PM

Are you going to tell just your wife, and maybe your best buddy?
If it's just your wife, I guess it's okay - shoot me a PM and weight for my response!
Cat
Old 07-20-2014, 11:30 PM

I knew you were a good guy cat. It will be just me and the wife most days, except for the other days when I bring my newfie buddies who just work here and live back home but still get draws up here cuz they work in the oil sands and deserve it
Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Never could figure why someone would apply in a WMU they had never been to.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 AM

Hope my thread post served as some inspiration...

I've been in Alberta 9 years, but I suppose that by some people, if you've not been here your life, you can go do something anatomically difficult to yourself.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 AM

And you expect everyone to grant you access to their land online, so that you don't actually have to go around meeting landowners. And when you ask for permission, that includes permission, for a dozen of your friends, even if you aren't with them. And if you wander onto the wrong property, because you are too lazy, or too cheap to obtain a landowners map, and you couldn't read it anyways, nobody is supposed to get upset because you are trespassing on their land.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Gone Hunting

Send pic of wife......
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Send pic of wife......
x2
Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Send pic of wife......
in camo
Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Never could figure why someone would apply in a WMU they had never been to.
Well, in some cases its for something special/infrequent. I got drawn for turkey this year. Never drawn before, been waiting years, wasn't sure if I would get drawn. Would have been sort of pointless to go down there, scout, and line up permission possibly years in advance. I would imagine most people who get drawn for bison are the same. That's an awful long way to go to famliarize yourself with the area if you have no idea if you will be drawn.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Seeing as how you asked so nicely I'm going to give you a little insider secret. N51*02.742' W114*01.3930' One stop shopping.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
Seeing as how you asked so nicely I'm going to give you a little insider secret. N51*02.742' W114*01.3930' One stop shopping.
Paid access. High fenced enclosures. Not for me!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well, in some cases its for something special/infrequent. I got drawn for turkey this year. Never drawn before, been waiting years, wasn't sure if I would get drawn. Would have been sort of pointless to go down there, scout, and line up permission possibly years in advance. I would imagine most people who get drawn for bison are the same. That's an awful long way to go to famliarize yourself with the area if you have no idea if you will be drawn.
X2 i always thought this forum was all about guys sharing their experiences and knowledge. Drives me crazy to see a guy jumped on for asking for help. Asking hunters for tips is part of preparing for a hunt IMO.. If you dont want to offer help, then dont. I have been helped a ton by guys on this forum and met a few new hunting partners in the process and have zero problem offering any, albeit limited, knowledge I have. Rant over.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 AM

I applied for moose in a wmu that I have never hunted in before. Last year 100% of the P2's were drawn and I was a P2 this year so I know the chance of being drawn was pretty high. We will be spending a few days in late august scouting and finding a good camp spot. Will spend another weekend the beginning of September scouting. September 30 we will be leaving for a 10 day moose hunt. I really don't see what the big deal is with applying in a wmu that you have never hunted. Do your homework and have fun.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM

With a lot of species, it takes several ( many? ) years to get drawn. Pretty tough to build a relationship with a landowner when you don't see them regularly. I'm pretty sure they don't want everybody whose ever hunted their property 'keeping in touch'.

Zone 406 has lots of opportunity for hiking, biking and fishing. It's a fun way to scout. Lotsa non-hunters use the area as well. They thin out after Thanksgiving. Best to hike back a bit. It sounds like the OP is getting out there and doing his research. There's nothing wrong with asking for help. All I have is encouragement.

Nothing wrong with asking. Nothing wrong with travelling to hunt. It's a big province to enjoy!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
Hope my thread post served as some inspiration...

I've been in Alberta 9 years, but I suppose that by some people, if you've not been here your life, you can go do something anatomically difficult to yourself.
Nope, not you at all. More referring to the people with 5 posts over 8 years who crawl out of the wood work every year after the draw results are out, ask a question then crawl back in to hiding. And by the way, im not born and bred albertan either
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 AM

It bothers me to hear from the one post wonders that thought it would be a good idea to draw a 536 or 534 moose tag when they live 1000kms from the wmu.. I hear it all the time.

" That wmu has almost a 100% chance of drawing, so I thought I would grab it. Turns out the zone is a full days drive away but isn't an easy one to hunt. Maybe I won't bother, seems like a lot of fuel and time spent for a maybe."

When a local, like myself, has to go without tags for a year or two, it really bothers me when people draw a tag and them can't event be bothered to come up and hunt because it's too far away, or too cold, or whatever.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Nope, not you at all. More referring to the people with 5 posts over 8 years who crawl out of the wood work every year after the draw results are out, ask a question then crawl back in to hiding. And by the way, im not born and bred albertan either
Lots of guys use this forum as a resource without posting.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I applied for moose in a wmu that I have never hunted in before. Last year 100% of the P2's were drawn and I was a P2 this year so I know the chance of being drawn was pretty high. We will be spending a few days in late august scouting and finding a good camp spot. Will spend another weekend the beginning of September scouting. September 30 we will be leaving for a 10 day moose hunt. I really don't see what the big deal is with applying in a wmu that you have never hunted. Do your homework and have fun.
I think that is the point of this thread, people need to go out and do their own scouting and planning. I think there are ways to "scout" without leaving home. Satellite and topo maps are a great place to start.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM

As far as a forum like this goes....you get out what you put in...

Become a part of the community, belong to the community, assist the community and the payback will open a lot of doors.

Come here with a bad attitude or a "want want want" or "me me me" attitude and it won't produce for you like you might like.

I think most folks here will help each other if they see your name floating around and being involved, pop in for a 1 post asking for a honey hole and guys are less likely to assist....it is human nature....

LC
Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Come here with a bad attitude or a "want want want" or "me me me" attitude and it won't produce for you like you might like.
LC
Glad to see you finally learned that lesson, Lefty! Congrats! LOL

Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
As far as a forum like this goes....you get out what you put in...

Become a part of the community, belong to the community, assist the community and the payback will open a lot of doors.

I think most folks here will help each other if they see your name floating around and being involved, pop in for a 1 post asking for a honey hole and guys are less likely to assist....it is human nature....

LC
This!! ^^

It's the same with people here.... Landowners, etc. Get to know them first. Help others here first.

Earn it somehow.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Just remember when your shooting feral cows with your .416 rigby don't forget your pool noodle.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So now that you've been drawn, will you spend time in that area scouting, or will your scouting amount to 5 minutes on the computer asking for someone to share their test answers?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM

I drew a Suffield tag last year.....I didn't scout the base out until I got there. Does that make me a terrible hunter and a blight on society? I should have sent my squadron of drones out for some light recognisance.

I kinda hate these threads making fun of people who don't post on this board very often. I for one surfed here a long time before I ever decided to even sign up, mostly because these types of threads make AO seem like an ol' boys club and nobody except those that know somebody would fit in.

Even if it is in good fun and humorous, these threads still keep people from contributing and asking questions, in my opinion.

But....if you expect help from someone, you should contribute or help in another way I think, and I don't believe post counts are truly indicative of a person helping others in different ways.

All my own opinion however.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
X2 i always thought this forum was all about guys sharing their experiences and knowledge. Drives me crazy to see a guy jumped on for asking for help. Asking hunters for tips is part of preparing for a hunt IMO.. If you dont want to offer help, then dont. I have been helped a ton by guys on this forum and met a few new hunting partners in the process and have zero problem offering any, albeit limited, knowledge I have. Rant over.
Thanks for that. Was surprised to get jumped on when I posted up http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=225008
Wasn't asking for anybody's special spot, just saying that I'd never seen mulies on the crown land around the Powderface, might the Bluerock be any better, and was I looking in the wrong types of spots, and suddenly I'm an armchair venison slaughterer.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
I drew a Suffield tag last year.....I didn't scout the base out until I got there. Does that make me a terrible hunter and a blight on society? I should have sent my squadron of drones out for some light recognisance.

I kinda hate these threads making fun of people who don't post on this board very often. I for one surfed here a long time before I ever decided to even sign up, mostly because these types of threads make AO seem like an ol' boys club and nobody except those that know somebody would fit in.

Even if it is in good fun and humorous, these threads still keep people from contributing and asking questions, in my opinion.

But....if you expect help from someone, you should contribute or help in another way I think, and I don't believe post counts are truly indicative of a person helping others in different ways.

All my own opinion however.

I think AO is more like a potluck dinner. No one goes away hungry, but sometimes the people who never bring anything to the table are the first in line for second helpings.

Nothing wrong with scouting on the day you get there, as long as you are happy with the result. Don't expect someone who did the heavy lifting to just give away their hard work.

I have no idea how many times i've helped others with areas that they were unfamiliar with. Drew maps, gave them numbers for permission etc. In 99% of the cases that I talked to after the season, they did not use them because it seemed like a lot of work. The other one percent thought it would be OK to just invite a few friends, after I asked them to keep the info confidential.

I have brought guys along with me only to have them return on their own with their friends. The landowner called me with questions about 'my friends' who showed up without calling, when his family was hunting. Left a mess and told him that they were friends of mine.

Soon enough the entitlement wears out.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 PM

Default Wasent a jump on bud....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
Thanks for that. Was surprised to get jumped on when I posted up http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=225008
Wasn't asking for anybody's special spot, just saying that I'd never seen mulies on the crown land around the Powderface, might the Bluerock be any better, and was I looking in the wrong types of spots, and suddenly I'm an armchair venison slaughterer.

But really, your post more or less comes across as

I got tags to fill... Can u point my gun in the right direction?

At least it did to me.

My response in a nutshell was... They are there... Enjoy the hunting.
Cause your starting to sound like you wanna know where a guy can do some shooting.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-21-2014, 01:31 PM

I've help out a few people in the past but I have Also been helped immensely myself by several members here, who have become good friends!
Cat
Old 07-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I think AO is more like a potluck dinner. No one goes away hungry, but sometimes the people who never bring anything to the table are the first in line for second helpings.

Nothing wrong with scouting on the day you get there, as long as you are happy with the result. Don't expect someone who did the heavy lifting to just give away their hard work.

I have no idea how many times i've helped others with areas that they were unfamiliar with. Drew maps, gave them numbers for permission etc. In 99% of the cases that I talked to after the season, they did not use them because it seemed like a lot of work. The other one percent thought it would be OK to just invite a few friends, after I asked them to keep the info confidential.

I have brought guys along with me only to have them return on their own with their friends. The landowner called me with questions about 'my friends' who showed up without calling, when his family was hunting. Left a mess and told him that they were friends of mine.

Soon enough the entitlement wears out.
People have helped me. norwestalta (pretty sure thats his screen name lol) comes to mind immediatly, bit there are lots of people, and ussually its the guys with low post counts offering help through PMs and texts. And ive helped folks as well. But just because someone doesnt post very often about trivial things does not mean they have nothing to contribute or shouldnt ask questions. I do not beleive it has anything to do with entitlement.