Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 AM

Default Mule Deer Behaviour in the Mountains

I started a WMU specific thread but apparently people don't like that. Would anybody care to share a bit about what kind of habitat mule deer bed and feed in? I've seen them in farms a fair bit, but not in the mountains. But I understand that higher in the mountains is where I should look for them for hunting public land. Now I have a rough idea from internet research of what they eat, and I have no problem putting in boot hours, but I'd like to get an idea of where in an area I should be looking?

I understand that one of the main reasons white tail may be on the move during the day is to get water, and they do bed down in an area somewhat close to a stream or something. Same for muleys?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM

They will be in pockets as they are in farm land certain areas have better browser feed .. I live close and have hunted and watch mulies in the foothills here in Hinton area .. and also the mountains .. what you need to do is spend some Recon time in your WMU and note where you see pockets of mule deer and time of year as they will move where the first snow comes sometimes

and yes to deer being the same... just like us they like to be out of wind and in shade with water near by

David
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM

leeward sides of hills in the daytime. check ridge top game trails.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM

7500'

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
I started a WMU specific thread but apparently people don't like that. Would anybody care to share a bit about what kind of habitat mule deer bed and feed in? I've seen them in farms a fair bit, but not in the mountains. But I understand that higher in the mountains is where I should look for them for hunting public land. Now I have a rough idea from internet research of what they eat, and I have no problem putting in boot hours, but I'd like to get an idea of where in an area I should be looking?

I understand that one of the main reasons white tail may be on the move during the day is to get water, and they do bed down in an area somewhat close to a stream or something. Same for muleys?
Still don't understand why guys care about talking about specific WMU's. Its funny really that a guy would think he actually knows top secret info and data in this day and age. Ive hunted across most of the province. If you want specific pointers ill do my best to help you out. Pm me if you like.

Last edited by wildside2014; 07-22-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM

Many moons ago while hunting 438 between 1984 to 1995 (before draw came into play for mule deer) the trees were cut down. You could see the tops of the hills clearly & you could see the Mule Deer. Just walking down those old forestry roads (with ten foot ditches running across them every 80 yards). You could see Mule Deer does bathing in the sun on a small hill side but close to trees for a quick get a way. Heck while walking along through tall grass we almost walked on a Mule deer doe that was sleeping. We never did get a Mule Deer buck, we saw some but they were to far away, or like this one time when I never squeezed the trigger....I just stared with ah when I saw this big 6x5 looking at me. When I & got my sight on him a Mule Deer doe decided to walk right in front of him & stayed there & there was no way to get a shot off & so they walked together into the trees. That was my second chance. So I went back down the hill. There was water & food, & shelter for them.

Some tips in my story. Just remember Mule Deer for the most part give you a second chance.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
7500'
Some truth to this ^.

Two ways to look at it, depending on the area:

Limiting factor: if there is something important ( food, water, cover, or minerals) that is very rare, look in places where its available.

Prime habitat: In areas where there is no limiting factor (much of our mountains) you then have to focus on areas where the best of everything is available within close proximity.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:39 PM

Wow guys, thanks so much for all the info! I think I get why I haven't been seeing them. I've been looking too low. More like 5500-6000 feet. I'm headed up a ridge today. Should be a little better chance of spotting them. Again, I really appreciate everybody's help.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
Wow guys, thanks so much for all the info! I think I get why I haven't been seeing them. I've been looking too low. More like 5500-6000 feet. I'm headed up a ridge today. Should be a little better chance of spotting them. Again, I really appreciate everybody's help.
Just to let you know they are down low to. I see them in my front yard out in Thorsby, AB (in the village) & at the Lions camp ground, on the hiking trails here. At Pigeon Lake, also in 337 & other places. If your hunting 406 then your in the hills anyways. You well see them just keep looking. Sorry but that puts you right back to square 1. If your hunting in 406 (I looked under your user name) then you may see a Mule Deer Doe before a Mule Deer Buck. Are you after a doe or a buck or both?

Last edited by Dunezilla; 07-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 PM

My tag is antlered, and you're right I'm hunting 406. Elbow Sheep wildland park is where I'm headed now. Gonna either go up Nahani Ridge and spend a few hours glassing from the top, or first follow the Little Elbow on my mountain bike, and then follow a tributary up. Hopefully I'll have time for both.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Still don't understand why guys care about talking about specific WMU's. Its funny really that a guy would think he actually knows top secret info and data in this day and age. Ive hunted across most of the province. If you want specific pointers ill do my best to help you out. Pm me if you like.
This
Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 PM

The mulies will be where they can see you before you see them.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 PM

Most of the bigger mountain mulies that i have seen especially in early fall are above treeline, in sheep country....lol. Little , out of the way basins are worth a look as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:51 PM

Default Yee ole 'Fryingpan mulie'

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Most of the bigger mountain mulies that i have seen especially in early fall are above treeline, in sheep country....lol. Little , out of the way basins are worth a look as well.

Sheep hunters I know call them that, cause all you'll be doing is eating them where u drop them. He he!

I've chased a few of them with my bow over the years. I still am not sure how I'd get them packed back to the truck all by
My lonesome...

But yes, I've seem some doozies up in those hidden bowls... Alpine lakes too.

Sheep I can see... But mulie?

Especially when I can drop a 180 or better within driving range.

Mountain
Mulies are a heck of an adventure.
Say hi to grizz for me.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Some truth to this ^.

Two ways to look at it, depending on the area:

Limiting factor: if there is something important ( food, water, cover, or minerals) that is very rare, look in places where its available.

Prime habitat: In areas where there is no limiting factor (much of our mountains) you then have to focus on areas where the best of everything is available within close proximity.

That's why I said it.

7500' is the average treeline altitude in Alberta. Of course there will be deer higher and lower than this, but most bucks in the mountains will spend most of their time around this level. They may bed, feed or water higher or lower, usually a combination, thus spending most of their time near or passing by the treeline.

More specifically to 406, there are much greater deer densities to the eastern boundary. If you are going to hunt the mountains, then expect to see few deer. But when you do, take note and come back.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."