Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 11:44 AM

Default OPINION: Is this a used pistol?

Looking for opinions. I ordered a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm from a dealer in Alberta, and had it delivered. It was listed as new. Once I received the pistol I noted several scuffs and dings. As this is the first pistol I have owned, I’m looking for input. Is this normal condition for a new, un-used pistol?
I contacted the place I purchased from and was told “What you are seeing is fairly common for a production police duty firearm. These are meant to be work tools not custom guns.”
I have not fired the gun. I was told it was not even used as a floor model. What do you guys think?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:52 AM

#1 - are you using it for hunting ? Then why are we in the Hunting Section ?

#2 - ever heard of "test firing" ? Some companies employ this as part of Quality Control.

Looks like an NOS pistol, likely taken out once or twice to fondle and work the slide.

YMMV
Old 05-23-2020, 01:00 PM

It might not technically be used but it sure hasn't been treated with kid gloves while looking for it's first owner. I would have expected a bit of a discount for it myself.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:13 PM

Looks like it's been "demo'd"!
Old 05-23-2020, 01:29 PM
Banned

That type of finish is prone to marking. Shoot it for a few boxes and you’ll likely forget all about it.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
"..#2 - ever heard of "test firing" ? Some companies employ this as part of Quality Control."
Imagine if a 'New' car was handled in this way though.."just a couple paint scratches because
of QC test drives". For me, this is now a 'Used' pistol category. If this 'QC test firing' was disclosed
at time of purchase, then purchaser was dealt a somewhat shady hand. imo
Old 05-23-2020, 02:26 PM

Default every pistol is fired at the factory

Dont know if it is still done in Canada but in the US the first shot fired from each pistol was sent to the ballistic lab for recording along with the serial number. Each probably has a finger print from variations in the lands and grooves.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Its been handled and has been shot.

Osky
Old 05-23-2020, 02:40 PM

I have become very intolerant of the BS many places try to feed me. If you are not happy with the condition of a brand new gun make them replace it or give you your money back. To say a new gun should look like it has been used because it is Police style issue is pure nonsense.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:43 PM

I have become very intolerant of the BS many places try to feed me. If you are not happy with the condition of a brand new gun make them replace it or give you your money back. To say a new gun should look like it has been used because it is Police style issue is pure nonsense. From what I could see in the pictures that gun is in poor condition, even for a used gun.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:53 PM

Definitely looks like there was some poor handling

If I buy new, I expect it to look new.

Ill scratch it up on my own time
Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 PM

Of all the handguns I've bought, most have been fired once or twice from the factory. I recall my Glocks and Rugers had 2 spent casings included in the case to submit to law enforcement if that type of thing is required. the Sig's I've owned never had that but I believe were test fired. I never considered having been fired once or twice at the factory to mean "not new". As for the scratches on the barrel, who knows, could be a new pistol that was handled rough, could be scratches from cycling the action, could be just a poor finish. As most barrels can be replaced very easily, I wouldn't be worried about the finish on them near as much as the finish on the slide or frame. In short, I've bought new pistols in the same shape and never considered them "not new".
Old 05-23-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Of all the handguns I've bought, most have been fired once or twice from the factory. I recall my Glocks and Rugers had 2 spent casings included in the case to submit to law enforcement if that type of thing is required. the Sig's I've owned never had that but I believe were test fired. I never considered having been fired once or twice at the factory to mean "not new". As for the scratches on the barrel, who knows, could be a new pistol that was handled rough, could be scratches from cycling the action, could be just a poor finish. As most barrels can be replaced very easily, I wouldn't be worried about the finish on them near as much as the finish on the slide or frame. In short, I've bought new pistols in the same shape and never considered them "not new".
So did you buy the gun all scuffed up face to face or is that what you got buying online. If u bought it face to face at least u made an informed decision. I know I would never accept a new gun in that condition if I got to see it prior to purchase. I sure don't think it is okay to palm that off on a buyer just because they trusted u and bought is sight unseen.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So did you buy the gun all scuffed up face to face or is that what you got buying online. If u bought it face to face at least u made an informed decision. I know I would never accept a new gun in that condition if I got to see it prior to purchase. I sure don't think it is okay to palm that off on a buyer just because they trusted u and bought is sight unseen.
Here’s a thought, stop buying online and buy in person that way you know what you get. I personally would send it back and get my money back.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:11 PM

First off, a apologize for posting in the wrong forum. Now I don’t know how to move it. Lol.
I purchased the gun, sight unseen. I’ll be honest, my schedule didn’t allow time to go shopping around and I was afraid if I waited too long, everything would be on the ever increasing banned list.
I do understand it was test fired by S&W, but I don’t believe that would warrant the damage to the finish.

I also understand it would probably look like this after I used it for awhile, but like mentioned above, at least I’m the one putting the wear on it.

I never received a discount. And I’m not really looking for one. I would prefer a new pistol. I just want what I paid for. As this is the first pistol I have purchased, I was wondering if I am being fed BS or not. From what most are saying, they are incorrect in telling me this wear is to be expected on a new gun.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Banned

IMO it shouldn’t look like this.
A few years back I purchased a new Norinco 1911 that looked better than that....and it was a Norinco.
On the other hand it shot as well as my friends two Colt 1911’s 😀
Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Willy View Post
"..From what most are saying, they are incorrect in telling me this wear is to be expected on a new gun.."
I would never tolerate paying full price on that obviously now in 'used condition' piece.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
mixture of both online and in store. I'm not saying it's "ok" to pawn stuff off, I'm just saying sometimes things are still new, but not necessarily mint condition. I don't generally worry about the finish of my handguns as I usually carry them and sooner or later the finish wears from EDC in my holster or practice. For me it doesn't really matter as long as it functions right. My current P320XCompact that I EDC is less than a year old and the finish is already worn from my holster, but the gun has never FTF/FTE. It was a clearance gun but still brand new when I got it in August 19. To each their own my friend!
Old 06-09-2020, 08:14 PM

What does the bolt face look like?
No wear on the barrel that slides through the bushing.
The shop cater to precision shooters. ie barrel switch from another gun.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:34 PM

I'd say handling marks either at manufacture or possibly in store. It's entirely possible that this gun never saw light of day after it left S&W, and the seller probably never stripped and examined it, just took the appropriate box off a shelf where there were a half dozen others just like it. I wouldn't be quick to lay blame, but if it bugs you, ask for an exchange. I don't think it's been fired, no 'smiley' on barrel at all.

Personally, having owned well over 100 handguns, if this is your first and you are planning to shoot it a lot....I wouldn't sweat it. That's just me. I make sure the guns I shoot are clean and in good service, but expect the odd cosmetic issue is going to happen anyway.

Now if that was a $4000 Sig x5, or Les Baer or a Korth or other high end unit....different story. Again, that's just me, and my approach to a 'work gun' is that it's going to get shot a lot and show signs of use anyway.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-09-2020, 09:52 PM

Your time would be better spent going to the range and putting a couple thousand rounds through that bad boy to break it in... The barrel is going to scratch and wear from the slide cycling anyway
Old 06-10-2020, 12:01 PM

I agree with skytop. Just go out and shoot it. It's a pistol not a wood stocked hunting rifle so a few tiny little scratches will happen just from regular handling and use so what's the point complaining about it.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-10-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Your time would be better spent going to the range and putting a couple thousand rounds through that bad boy to break it in... The barrel is going to scratch and wear from the slide cycling anyway
This--barring expensive ones or personal taste I suppose, guns are tools, not showpieces--at my house anyway
Old 06-10-2020, 12:59 PM

I’m sure you could find out if there was another previous owner simply by asking the rcmp, if it was never registered then chalk it up to poor handling, contact the seller, let them know your displeased, and will they do something about it, in the mean while take the pistol out, and go have a blast!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:40 AM

Default "new" pistol

I am much less experienced than many who have already posted FYI. I own 20+ pistols and all but 2 have been bought used. If I bought it new, I would expect a new gun, not a "demo"
This is not a new, unused pistol. I understand how you feel and would feel the same way. I would be unhappy having paid new price, as you described.
Vance

Tags
9mm, m&p, pistol, s&w, semi