Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 01:51 PM

Default Shore fishing Vancouver island!

https://youtu.be/gWOElNAcQ5g

Hey guys! just showin a short video of me catching bottomfish off the shore.
This area is beautiful. It offers a good Rock wall near shore you can cast to which is about 80 feet deep. The area is perfect for rockfish and lingcod. Access is easy and it also has a small parking lot.

If you guys would like to know where to go or if you're within the south side of the island this place is pretty good. Look up google maps and you can see the furthest point of the island. (eastside of the island)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-23-2020, 03:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

hmmmm banging the bottom on the best of days costs lures.....a hunk of meat on a hook was our go to way of catching the bottom fish...usually the first rock fish ended up as bait too......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-23-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
hmmmm banging the bottom on the best of days costs lures.....a hunk of meat on a hook was our go to way of catching the bottom fish...usually the first rock fish ended up as bait too......
What kind of meat do you throw on the hook? Do you set it up like a sliding sinker rig?

Respect wildlife
Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
What kind of meat do you throw on the hook? Do you set it up like a sliding sinker rig?
Common options squid, octopus, prawns, anchovies, herring, chunks of salmon, chunks of rockfish, and basically any fish you can chunk up

Any mix of bottom fishing rigs work. I prefer to use rigs that if you hang up your weight in the rocks you can break it off without loosing your hook
Old 05-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Common options squid, octopus, prawns, anchovies, herring, chunks of salmon, chunks of rockfish, and basically any fish you can chunk up

Any mix of bottom fishing rigs work. I prefer to use rigs that if you hang up your weight in the rocks you can break it off without loosing your hook
Ya I like to tie a lighter line to the weight so it breaks off first.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Yup.....exactly.....and we would never run out of bait because we usually chunked up a rockfish etc....man fishing the coast was so simple, ample and fun all the time.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yup.....exactly.....and we would never run out of bait because we usually chunked up a rockfish etc....man fishing the coast was so simple, ample and fun all the time.
As a kid we would throw basically and thing we could find on a hook. Fire it out there and see what you caught.

Only thing I truly miss about BC is the ocean
Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
As a kid we would throw basically and thing we could find on a hook. Fire it out there and see what you caught.

Only thing I truly miss about BC is the ocean
I miss the island...small lakes full of dolly's and cutties...jump on the motorbike and head to the hills...peaceful.....just gotta get away from the city centre's though....

Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I miss the island...small lakes full of dolly's and cutties...jump on the motorbike and head to the hills...peaceful.....just gotta get away from the city centre's though....
With the exception of being born in the Charlotte’s and a few years there I spent most of the first 40 years of life on the Island with majority of it being in Campbell River. It was a truly great place to live if you loved the outdoors. Deer and black bear hunting was awesome. Elk were everywhere and the hardest part was getting a tag. Freshwater and saltwater fishing was excellent.

I had a couple good places a guy could go for a quad ride and catch salmon or bottom fish from shore with no one else around. I usually fished with a Buzz-bomb or Sting-Zelda so I had as good a chance of catching a salmon as a cod. Bait of some sort worked good for bottom fish as they as just scavengers but salmon a quite a bit more picky.

Lots of sun in the summer but the fall/winter/spring were long with months of gloomy weather. I don’t miss that much...
Old 05-25-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
With the exception of being born in the Charlotte’s and a few years there I spent most of the first 40 years of life on the Island with majority of it being in Campbell River. It was a truly great place to live if you loved the outdoors. Deer and black bear hunting was awesome. Elk were everywhere and the hardest part was getting a tag. Freshwater and saltwater fishing was excellent.

I had a couple good places a guy could go for a quad ride and catch salmon or bottom fish from shore with no one else around. I usually fished with a Buzz-bomb or Sting-Zelda so I had as good a chance of catching a salmon as a cod. Bait of some sort worked good for bottom fish as they as just scavengers but salmon a quite a bit more picky.

Lots of sun in the summer but the fall/winter/spring were long with months of gloomy weather. I don’t miss that much...
yeah once November rolls in its too dreary for me....we use to go off king coho in my canoe to chuck buzz bombs blue/white or pink/white for salmon...get a few then off to fart around the ferry docks for bottom fish etc...usually limited out the and next day hit the mountains for more fishing...kinda wrapped up a wk-end.....

ate fish three times a week....

Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

Haha where is this zen place you speak of

Respect wildlife
Old 05-25-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I gotta get the dollys and cutties off my bucketlist

Respect wildlife