Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 08:30 AM

Default Calling Lake PP Launch is open

A few people have been calling me to see what I know about the Provincial Park Boat Launch. I had looked at the Ben Auger Memorial Park Launch on the north side of the lake, and it is open, with 2 piers, big parking area, and a very nice playground thanks to Bernie Cardinal and the MD staff.

I drove into the Provincial Park, and the group overflow camping was gated. Loop 1 camp sites were gated, as was Loop 2 camp sites.

At the boat launch, the bath rooms are not open, and the main pier is not in. There are a stack of launch blocks on the side, but people are launching some pretty big boats.

Where someone could camp is a problem, as it looks like you would have to bush camp somewhere and drive with your boat to the launch.

All the same, you can get in to fish the lake, so the complete closure story was not correct.

Drewski
Old 06-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Banned

Thanks Drewski, is the north boat launch open to the public? Where exactly is it? Is it by the calling river or out in front of Jo-Kats?
Old 06-02-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Thanks Drewski, is the north boat launch open to the public? Where exactly is it? Is it by the calling river or out in front of Jo-Kats?
Good to hear Drew. Might make it there next week after all. Thanks for the info 😬
Old 06-02-2020, 01:53 PM

The launch at Ben Auger Memorial Park is located north of the Jean Baptiste Indian Reserve, and south of Sucker Creek. This is north of the townsite on Calling Lake Drive, past the local store.

Drewski
Old 06-02-2020, 02:58 PM

Thanks for updating really appreciated!
Old 06-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Thanks drew for all your effort. Robin
Old 06-05-2020, 09:13 PM

Was there today and as per Drewski the launch is open at the PP, they put down new launch pads which is very nicely done, the gates to all campsites were still locked. When we got back to the launch to pull out the boat Fish and game and RCMP were there was nice to see checking everyone's catch. The FG officer told us he heard they might be opening up soon but wasnt sure. If i figure out how to post pics from computer i will, the walleye bite was on! Used a whole tub of minnows. the largest we caught was 74 cm.

Skawtty
Old 06-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Not real familiar with the lake but is the PP on the south side of the lake?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:16 AM

yes it is first left off hiway
Old 06-07-2020, 08:18 AM

We have a couple camping spots booked at the Provincial Park in Early July. Is the park suppose to be open then?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info Drew!

I went Friday and launched and Ben Auger. I found lots of walleye about five min's south of the launch and of the 15 or so I caught in 2 hours, only two were outside the slot........one at 63 cm's and the other at about 40 cm's.

I'll probably go to the PP launch next time I got out now that I know it's open and improved.

I contacted Alberta Parks on Thursday and they told me that Calling Lake PP is officially open for camping as of June 19th. I asked at that time if the launch was open and was told no. But I knew there were no gates between the highway and boat launch but didn't know if they'd added some so went to Ben Auger and never checked on the PP launch.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***