Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 06:55 PM

Default firewood

anyone have any decent hookups for some firewood. looking for a couple cords. I think 600 bucks for a cord of birch is a bit ridiculous but maybe that's just the times. would entertain the idea of buying a trailer with raw logs if was more reasonable. located around Edmonton.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:37 PM

Ouch! Any way you could cut your own? At 600$ a cord I’d definitely look at buying a log truck load and selling some off to help pay for the load.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:42 PM

Hehe...

$10.99 for an arm full bag at 7-11 in Rocky today! Crazy stupidity!

Yea...doing it yourself is the way to go...if you can of course...
Old 10-26-2021, 08:53 PM

Default Coal lake wood

I bought some this year from a guy 6kms east of wetaskiwin on highway 13. He seemed on par with everyone else. You can find him on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Coal...0042773007331/

I bought two cords of birch. My wife insists on birch for starting first burns. I don’t agree and definitely don’t agree with the price but what do you do. Anyhow got 8 water tote cages which is suppposedly 2 cords and I don’t doubt it was. The owner Sheldon is a straight shooter and I recommend him. Not much for birch left and he said the reason was most guys like him rely on lease cuts and the oil companies are now selling all the wood themselves to get chipped and go to China. Go figure! The next best wood he tells me is tamarack. I have two cords of that from last year curing and plan to start burning it this year. Can’t tell you how I like it yet, but hear it’s noisier and the density makes it a bit harder to get going but once you got it started burns hot and long.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:57 PM

Default Wood

Neighbor bought a load of wood once. Said never again after he realized just how much wood comes on a truck and how much work it is cutting and splitting with only a tractor, chainsaw, and axe. Kept him in shape though.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Hehe...

$10.99 for an arm full bag at 7-11 in Rocky today! Crazy stupidity!

Yea...doing it yourself is the way to go...if you can of course...
If I could sell wood for that price consistently I’d consider quitting my day job. &11 for 1 big round or 2 medium ones adds up quick, I’d have to buy a splitter and a bigger flat deck
Old 10-26-2021, 10:37 PM

Default Firewood

Thank you m.ote for the recommendation..much appreciated. I do my best to provide a premium product at a reasonable price. If anyone on the forum is looking for firewood you can find coal lake wood products on Facebook or at 780 387-1214.. thanks
Old 10-26-2021, 10:42 PM

Wow this guy has a mental strength! Being a member here for 11 years and only 26 posts:sHa_shakes hout:
Old 10-27-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchbark View Post
Thank you m.ote for the recommendation..
Small world it is. Thanks for your patience and teaching me how to Etransfer.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:45 AM

People need to get over the fascination with Birch, rare as hen's teeth and priced accordingly.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-27-2021, 09:02 AM

Give this guy a call at (780) 394-6808 if you are in the Edmonton area. I buy a big bucked up trailer load of cherry, apple, birch and fire pit wood for less than half of split
Old 10-27-2021, 11:03 AM

Default wood

You just missed good chance for wood at Lake Wabamun. Fortis putting in new power line and left a large number of birch and poplar/aspen cut blocks. Let all my neighbours know and some got 2-3 free pick-up loads.
PS One good guy even brought me a bottle of best for my trouble.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
People need to get over the fascination with Birch, rare as hen's teeth and priced accordingly.

Grizz
Man I’d love birch but as you said rare as hens teeth so I find good stands of lodge pole and have at it! When your cold and it’s snowing out any wood you can burn is worth it’s weight even poplar!
Old 10-27-2021, 11:48 AM

Can one no longer get a permit to go cut your own birch on crown land
Old 10-27-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
Camped at the LaCrete ferry campground this summer. Lots of free birch! Too bad you can't take it with you.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Can one no longer get a permit to go cut your own birch on crown land
Yes...but they have "specific" areas for the birch permits. In other words, you are not allowed to simply go anywhere to cut them.

And by the time you get there, they are already picked over, and all there is left is garbage.

Tamarack is just as good, but takes awhile to cure.

Last year, permits for green stuff (except birch) were free. U can get them online...
Old 10-27-2021, 08:51 PM

A friend from the Hardisty area has lots of birch for sale.
His name is Devin and you can reach him at 780-888-7133
Old 10-28-2021, 08:25 AM

i just drive around and ask the farms if there is a bunch dead wood from field clearing or in there wind breaks that i can clean out for them, some farmers pay me, some just let me take for free since im cleaning for them, some charge me, cheaper to buy a small chain saw and buck your own in long run. also the huterites have wood for sale alot times. rough cut 2x4 2x6 etc , some times small logging outfits will let you grap the scraps from there limbing, basically your cleaning for em for free the wood is payment. big garbage dumpsters at construction sights have a ton of scrap wood. alot options for free wood out there or at lest cheap wood. just my 2 cents
Old 10-28-2021, 08:36 AM
Banned

Anyone interested in birch? I know a guy that has 200+ cord. yes his prices are par with anyone else selling birch.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ote View Post
I bought some this year from a guy 6kms east of wetaskiwin on highway 13. He seemed on par with everyone else. You can find him on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Coal...0042773007331/

I bought two cords of birch. My wife insists on birch for starting first burns. I don’t agree and definitely don’t agree with the price but what do you do. Anyhow got 8 water tote cages which is suppposedly 2 cords and I don’t doubt it was. The owner Sheldon is a straight shooter and I recommend him. Not much for birch left and he said the reason was most guys like him rely on lease cuts and the oil companies are now selling all the wood themselves to get chipped and go to China. Go figure! The next best wood he tells me is tamarack. I have two cords of that from last year curing and plan to start burning it this year. Can’t tell you how I like it yet, but hear it’s noisier and the density makes it a bit harder to get going but once you got it started burns hot and long.
I have been buying my wood there for a few years, but I was late this year, and had to settle for tamarack, as he was sold out of birch.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 AM

Default Birch

Lot of time you can get lucky when hunting. Last year on our moose hunt the fellar bunchers knocked down bunch of birch on Athabasca river, they skidded it to roads and had someone buck it into blocks. Hunters, oilfield and forestry workers then loaded their pickups on way home.

Tags
birch, cord, firewood, wood