Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Thanks for posting those links,,,

Hopefully the links get opened, read and digested by all the armchair biologists here on this board.

It has been shown that slots without restrictions on harvest will not work on many of our fisheries.

Tags are in reality a slot with a harvest restriction,,, however our current tag allocation is fairly complicated and requires a lot of micro management.

Why not set up a tag system where like hunting for whitetail you are given tags when you buy your licence? Say,,, give out 10 pike or walleye tags in a combination of size limits with restrictions as how many tags can be used in certain zones / lakes (ie. 3 tags of the 10 tags can be used in PP2 only,,, no more than one tag in a "vulnerable" lake,,, and so on.)

This is similar to the idea slough shark threw out earlier in this thread.

This would put yearly or annual possession limits in place and could spread angling harvest pressure around vs concentrating it in a few open lakes,,, and with the elimination of a minimum size perhaps allow for more larger fish to be caught as well.
Good post.

I can add one thing about tags that I noticed on my own behavior, I use them - meaning I see them through and don't waste them. When I see some members on here calling them a joke and they have not even used them ... no credibility and the argument is done. If you think about it, all the trouble you go through to get them you are not going to let them go to waste. And, you pay $$ for them. Of course you are going to use them. And, I find myself that when I'm done with them I move on. That is a much more effective slot size limit than just setting a general one. A difference maker.

Would I rather not have to use tags or enter a draw, of course. But they seem to be necessary if there is going to be any harvest from AB lakes that can't handle pressure of general limits.