Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Beginner Ice fishing questions

Went out ice fishing for the first time, came home empty handed. Here's a video of my trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ3DDZMrNRI
I'm sure I'm doing a all kinds of stuff wrong.
I've decided I want to try again, for perch this time. Here are some questions;

- What line type / weight do you guys recommend? Mono, braid or fluoro?
- tip-up vs jaw-jacker? The tip-up is cheaper...is it less effective?
- how do you prevent your line from icing up when fishing outside?
- Is there some sort of fish finder do-hickey that can be used from my canoe in summer, as well as from a hole in winter? I'm fishing with no electronics right now.
- Any killer lure / bait combos that you recommend?

I'm thinking of going out to either gull or sylvan to make my next video. Which lake would you say is more likely?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:43 PM

for the line freezing up a ice fishing line like berkley sub zero type line will work well but the line is blue in colour so i am not sure how visible that is to the fish even though i have caught fish with this line but still not a fan of the zub zero ice fishing line so i still just use regular mono for ice fishing or carry an extra reel one with mono and one with ice fishing line. if you can afford it electronics is your best friend for ice fishing cause it shows you the depth you are at structure if there is any and shows you where the fish is swimming or hanging out in the water column. if bait is allowed there obviously and your buddy got a few hits that's a place to start then next time maybe carry a bit more variety of baits to see what works. if its trout the usual power bait, corn, worms, shrimp works. for myself i prefer mono 6lb test and a reel with a good drag system. sometimes lure action provides action{ like a jigging rapala} and triggers bites but dead sticking and leaving a bait sitting still also works. just don't be afraid to try different methods. depending on the lake try and find a topographic map of it to study the contours of the lake and look for structure.