Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Default Little Bow Reservoir? (Beside travers)

Anybody know how the fishing is at the little bow reservoir? Was thinking of possibly heading down south that way after Christmas for some icefishing.....Is the icefishing there decent or should I invest my time somewhere else?
Thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 PM

We usually have good luck for pike on smelts. But havent found any of the walleye in there yet.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM

I have never ice fished there but the Summer fishing can be fantastic. There are some huge pike and walleye in there. I would try ice fishing there but it is so far from Calgary.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Went there when I was a bit younger like 9 or 10 caught a couple good sized pike just used a smelt on a jig head can't tell ya much else as I don't remember some of it but hope the bit I told you helps.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Default Lttle Bow

The ice is likely iffy....been warm and lots of wind ...I think Jacen is confused , he is thinking of Travers at the Little Bow Provincial campground ...
for big pike and walleyes .....Little Bow res. can be pretty quite and most fish smallish ....I wouldnt be surprised if there is open water there now.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM
jrs

Yeah, id be skeptical of the ice on Little Bow, its very wind swept and normally doesn't freeze that early in the year. We went skating on it last winter and there was open spots right into January, user beware. As for fishing, there's a reason locals don't spend much time on it, way better choices in every direction. Skinny pike can be fun but the tanks available a short drive away are a more popular choice.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
The ice is likely iffy....been warm and lots of wind ...I think Jacen is confused , he is thinking of Travers at the Little Bow Provincial campground ...
for big pike and walleyes .....Little Bow res. can be pretty quite and most fish smallish ....I wouldnt be surprised if there is open water there now.
I wasnt confused. I was speaking about Little Bow Reservoir. I have fished there quite a bit in Spring and Summer. I have only fished Travers a few times. This summer I did really well using big spoons and caught one of my biggest pike of all time off the rocks by the big spillway into the canal.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Never fished there, but going to make a couple attempts to get out there this winter.

As far as ice goes, it should be fine. Sure, near the middle MAY still be a bit open (if at all), but there was 10 inches on Travers on Saturday, 14 inches on Badger yesterday, and 13 inches further east where ever Wayne has been fishing - hardly doubt Little Bow is any different. And it hasn't been even remotely warm enough (even with the wind) to deteriorate the ice that much, contrary to what some in this thread are saying.... Temps have maybe been near 0 as the high temp, if that...
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM

the only tip i can offer you if you choose to ice fish little bow res is if or when you do catch a fish look up and check the sky for birds of prey first. i had an incident when i was ice fishing there a few years ago and caught a small pike and all of a sudden a huge shadow decended upon me as i looked up expecting another angler but turned out to be a huge friggen bald eagle swooping down to get the fish. i didnt know they were that big and scared the bajesus out of me. never knew blad eagles were in the area of alberta go figure.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
I wasnt confused. I was speaking about Little Bow Reservoir. I have fished there quite a bit in Spring and Summer. I have only fished Travers a few times. This summer I did really well using big spoons and caught one of my biggest pike of all time off the rocks by the big spillway into the canal.
Caught a few nice eyes this summer straight out frm the spillway a couple hundred yards bouncing. Lots of depth changes out there, huge weed clumps, good ambush points for Pike and Eyes

And the little Perch in there are prolific. Perch would nibble at the bait on the bouncers on the flats west of the inlet from the southwest end. The eyes and Pike were there to........

It's no further to Little Bow than Badger from Calgary. Turn right at Lomond instead of left for Badger.

Good luck
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 PM

interesting, thanks for all the responses! might just have to make it down there someday....
thanks.