Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Wabamun or Lac St Anne

Time to dust off the ice fishing gear. Have the power auger, gear, big buddy and big tent. Been a while since I fished either lake.

Just for the fun of catching, sitting around & jigging in the tent. Which lake will produce the most action as far as seeing some fish come to your hook under the ice?

Keeping is not important. More about a few of us having some fun catching fish.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 05:58 PM

This year, either one is a good choice. Seriously, flip a coin. If you're in the right spot on Wabamun the action is non stop for small walleye & jack & St Anne is the same but more of a mixed bag with Perch, Whitefish and the occasional Burbot mixed in with the usual Pike&Walters.

Most of the productive spots are pretty popular on both lakes and a quick thread search should point you in the right direction on either lake. Somewhere to start would be west of the main marina at the town of Wabamun, or perhaps off Fallis Point if you're able to access it (though I heard there was a pretty bad ice heave, haven't seen myself though). On St Anne near Val Quentin is usually productive and also accessing near Yellowstone and heading for the weedy point to your left is usually a decent place to start for multi species. Plenty of other locations if you do a little bit of research, but I hope this helps!

Tight lines :-)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
This year, either one is a good choice. Seriously, flip a coin. If you're in the right spot on Wabamun the action is non stop for small walleye & jack & St Anne is the same but more of a mixed bag with Perch, Whitefish and the occasional Burbot mixed in with the usual Pike&Walters.

Most of the productive spots are pretty popular on both lakes and a quick thread search should point you in the right direction on either lake. Somewhere to start would be west of the main marina at the town of Wabamun, or perhaps off Fallis Point if you're able to access it (though I heard there was a pretty bad ice heave, haven't seen myself though). On St Anne near Val Quentin is usually productive and also accessing near Yellowstone and heading for the weedy point to your left is usually a decent place to start for multi species. Plenty of other locations if you do a little bit of research, but I hope this helps!

Tight lines :-)
Have you catch any whites in Lac Ste Anne this year yet? I am told it is very challenge to catch one.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:33 PM

Wabamun a bit nicer and lots of lil walleye with some getting decent and of course the chance of good white or decent pike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM

The whites were on fire at St Anne earlier this winter, probably quieted down now as they moved back out after the spawn.

I have never seen a white in Wabamun since probably 2011 lol
Old 01-09-2018, 03:14 PM

They should come back to search for burbot's eggs soon, am I right?