Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 AM

Default Northern guys wanna try for a big pike down south - Which Lake should we try?

Myself and a couple buddies would like to take a drive down south and try for one of these big pike you lucky fellas down there often post pics of. We know nothing about which lakes have the good potential to land a 15lb + pike.

If you guys were gonna give er a whirl for a day or two which lakes would you head to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.

PMs are fine too, as I would be happy to respond with some intel for up our way in return
Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Keho, Badger, Newell and Travers.

All hold pike well over the range you're looking for.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 AM

Go east, way way East. Like Manitoba or Ontario.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM

Default Northern guys wanna try for a big pike down south - Which Lake should we try?

Lac La Biche, Lesser Slave, Winfred, Pinehurst.

Sneak on to Genesee.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:01 AM

Down around here, definitely Newell.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM

+1 Newell, can also try Tilley B just east of Brooks.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Default never tried it but,....

Years ago I heard of an ice fishing tournament on McGregor (Vulcan area) in which 15 pound pike were caught on occasion. Heard nothing about that lake in 10 or 15 years.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Banned

Sylvan lake is hands down the best trophy NRPK fishery within the province. That lake out produces any around!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Sylvan lake is hands down the best trophy NRPK fishery within the province. That lake out produces any around!
Sure. Guess that's why Wayne keeps catching those 20 plus pounders at Newell and the Alberta record is from Keho> But hey it out produces all the lakes.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:47 PM

Keho has large numbers of big pike and is a relatively small lake, Newell would be my second choice but finding them might be a bit more work IMO. Badger would be my third choice.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 PM

+1 for Newell, south end. Since its been catch and release only for the last few years its become unreal. 20lb plus is not uncommon anymore.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Myself and a couple buddies would like to take a drive down south and try for one of these big pike you lucky fellas down there often post pics of. We know nothing about which lakes have the good potential to land a 15lb + pike.

If you guys were gonna give er a whirl for a day or two which lakes would you head to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.

PMs are fine too, as I would be happy to respond with some intel for up our way in return
In Lethbridge, we are very lucky, just in the city alone there is quite a few pike ponds, one in particular me and the boy found a dead one floating, got a pic of that one with my boy standing beside it, my guess would be around 25 lbs and I’ve seen the others lurkin around at other ponds in the 15-20 lbs range, what I’m getting at is if that’s any indication, I’m sure you can figure out what lies in the surrounding reservoirs as they are all connected, the wife loves shore fishing for walleye we go everywhere, I think there could a Canadian record or even world record down here, I’ve noticed the really big ones become almost like musky, when I’m sight fly fishing for them, they’ll follow then float off, or like a smart brown, you get one shot and shows over. It’s a different ball game down here, my best was 36 pike in about an hour and a half on a fly rod, went to the same spot a week later and maybe five in the same amount of time, I got her dialed in pretty good these days, it is slower than up there, compared to say dried meat lake for example. I used to be a total trout bum 1000+fish years I could do in my sleep,but the last few years, I’ve been totally obsessed with fly fishing for pike, don’t know why, think I was actually fishing too much for trout, going everyday, I found it predictable, where as the pike, you’d start thinking the body of water you were fishing was completely devoid of fish, then, WHAMO, scare the living bejezuz outta of ya, think that’s the appeal for me, the rush, although I did have a ten pound rainbow at a pond/lake by cam rose spool me on my four wt sage and micro orvis rimfly reel, and then there was the channel cats in Manitoba...............dang, can’t wait for spring, don’t matter what yer fishin fer, or how (as long as it’s legal)its all good!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned

Default Definitely Newell

Have seen 4 well over 20 in last few days .
Use big baits , keep it legal , checked twice
this year !
Just a note on Mcgregor , I have seen one
pike over 34" ,soft or hard water in the last 5 yrs.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
Keho has large numbers of big pike and is a relatively small lake, Newell would be my second choice but finding them might be a bit more work IMO. Badger would be my third choice.

Great point, Newell is huge in comparison and there’s a thousand spots to try. Took me a couple seasons to have a couple spots, and I can’t imagine trying it without seeing what it’s like open water.
Keep in mind targeting 20 pound plus pike requires a specific strategy. Very rarely will you get a 20+ while fishing for walleye with a jig.
Location, technique then timing.

If I was serious about trying for trophies in a new area I would hire a guide.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:27 PM

If you aren't catching big ones up north then you wont be catching any big ones down south. Sorry to break it to you but there is just as big, if not bigger ones up north.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
If you aren't catching big ones up north then you wont be catching any big ones down south. Sorry to break it to you but there is just as big, if not bigger ones up north.
We want to try a new place none of us have been to.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Lac Schuett or Lac Coulee Stalker are the best without a doubt.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:06 AM

PM me before you come down I can point you in a direction or two the hogs are clueing in now they figured out my strategy and figured out how to steal my bait again. just keeps it challenging oh and no big fish left in the lake they all left

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-14-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Great point, Newell is huge in comparison and there’s a thousand spots to try. Took me a couple seasons to have a couple spots, and I can’t imagine trying it without seeing what it’s like open water.
Keep in mind targeting 20 pound plus pike requires a specific strategy. Very rarely will you get a 20+ while fishing for walleye with a jig.
Location, technique then timing.

If I was serious about trying for trophies in a new area I would hire a guide.
you might be surprised, the biggest pike Ive ever seen all came in for a small bait. its all about switching things around so they see something new.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
you might be surprised, the biggest pike Ive ever seen all came in for a small bait. its all about switching things around so they see something new.
I once had one of the top ice anglers in north America tell me that sometimes smaller is better and will catch that big 30+ pounder. His analogy was that we as humans eat fairly large meals and even if youre full, you walk by that box of chocolates, 80% of humans still grab that little piece of chocolate. Same thing with animals. Sometimes that's exactly why he downsizes rigs.