Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

Blackwolf...happy your doing what your doing and for how long etc. good things imo. Personally i'm not a fan of imposing my own distance limits on others. I think its fine to educate the norm ranges the average guy can deal with but others may have even shorter limits they should be hunting within and others much longer as they put in the time etc. So on that point...thats where i be standing. You'll get lots of push back by trying to impose 'your' limits on other folks imo.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
So as a self proclaimed expert in the art of archery hunting .
Do you not agree that maybe a archery hunting course should be taught as well as mandatory in the west as it is in the east ,where they teach the basics the same as a hunters ed course but throw a flare in there ,
you must hit 3 of 5 arrows in a 5 inch circle at 3o mtre as well as pass a wounded animal tracking scenario .
I must also say you just admitted to shooting game for someone else , you partners animals . NOT EXACTLY SMART ON A MONITORED HUNTING BOARD .
Pretty sure your partner has to get thier own , anyrate the point was that not always do animals present the perfect 20 mtr shot so thats why as bow hunters we practice to limits we are comfortable with and try to be persistant with our shots.
we are not shooting bullseyes all the time , we are hitting small area,s of a target at said distances to improve our rate of success in obtaining game .
IE the kill zone
I know you probably have a clue what you are saying and im sure you hunt by the rules, but most guys practice to thier limits .
I shoot to a max of 50 mtr so i can see arrow placement and shoot more accurate to get a kill .
telling a man he cant shoot past 30 mtr is like telling a rifle man he cant shoot past 100 mtr.
1) I have never heard of a profficiency test to get your archery tag. Anywhere in Canada.

2) In Ontario where we hunted, we are allowed partnered hunting. So don't assume what doesn't happen.

3) I really don't care if you want to take shots over the 30 yard, however you had better be proficient with your bow. If the pics you posted are any indication of your skills, you had better do a lot more practicing before you advise anyone how long a shot to take. Of the 4 shots in the deer, only one was a kill shot, the other were fatal wounding. One in the shoulder, one in the kill zone one in the liver and one in the intestines.

4) As I said, you should be able to hit beer bottle caps fist time every time at 60 yards before you consider taking longer shots in a stressfull, hunting condition where anything can happen.

5) As far as being an expert, no... I have a few years experience and was taught by some of the best, but I'm no expert and I have a lot more to learn.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

With those groupings, I wouldn't shoot farther than 5 feet.

It's early Chef, I am sure they will be tightened up over the next few months.
The Bottle cap at 60 yards seems a bit extreme to me. I would guess a 6" circle would do at 60. But thats what I want to see out of the Bow.

With the 3d target Chef showed, I would want all my arrows in the Super kill up to 30 yards. I would be okay up to 60 if they all went in the kill zone. (Larger circle). Anything else and its time to keep practicing.

Jamie
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default shots

Those shots were the first of a few since last hunting season and they will get tighter .
I had new arrows to set up and alot of adjusting to do yet .
Hate to tell ya but all those shots would have definately killed an animal at 30 mtr .
bottle caps at 60 everytime is a dream im sure you have all the time and iM sure you will wake up and smell the roses .
Nova Scotia has mandatory testing for archery hunters /course .
I wasnt the one claiming to be the expert shot here nor do i expect to be , i shoot where i think im able and hit where i should in most cases.
As i said ,we were aiming for a kill zone at 40 mtr not a bottle cap ,lung ,liver , heart or a major artery will take an animals life .
when it come down to the actual hunt , i do not get nervous nor do i get buck fever or any jitters what so ever.
I have hunted many years and 20 plus with the bow ,im sure i dont have to justify my shooting to an expert .
Tight groups cost money and when you pay 100 bucks for a dozen arrows , you keep the group open .

Last edited by chef; 07-06-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

Chef.
You dont need to spend $$ to get tight groups. (Perhaps super tight) But when I was shooting all I used was Easton XX78 (I think)
My Bow was a PSE low end. My Release was from Wal mart (Also miss tagged)
It was PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE. But then I have allways had to work hard on things like that.

As for "Buck Fever".... Just you wait, it will happen. It had never happened to me... Till it did

Jamie
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Default tight groups

Jamie.
what i meant by tight groups costing money was,
The cost to replace arrows and heads etc, when you keep hitting each other.
Im too old now i think! for buck fever , been there done it kind of thing , i have gotten some big animals and seen many more , now im not saying i dont get excited to see them .
I just dont get all nervous ,sweaty or shaky when the time comes to make a shot ,rifle or bow.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 PM

Chef...that is one thing I understand about archery....it can be costly. I know you weren't talking to me, but yea replaceing arrows is costly. When they hit each other, or when they go right though the target...or worth yet, you loose one or so with a broad head on it.

Anyhow this subject we are on makes me want to get back out and practise some more...except I won't be able to until next Thursday.

Just 46 more days to bow season
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Banned

My original though ....way back when, was that Archery was cheaper than the rifles...

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jamie
Old 07-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

Default Duhh

No doubt a misconception , i was douped by the cost way back when .
It was worth every penny i spent and still do but its nice to minimize the cost when possible , and 100 bucks for a dozen arrows is not cheap then a 10 dollar broadhead on the end deffinately rates the cost way above a 1.50 dollar bullet.
I wreck at least one if not 2 arrows every evening of shooting.
a good bow cost more than a run of the mill rifle , when you can buy a savage 300 win to a 243 or a 270 package simmons scope included for 550 in caroline supplies and then go to russell and by a cheap pse without any extra,s for the same price.
Its hard to fathom why we would consider such a foolish sport.
Probably gonna wreck a few more this week.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Gone Hunting

I shoot real tight, and out to 70 yds. I dont wreck my arrows{often}. On the closer ranges, only shoot one arrow, you may be able to avoid this problem.