Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Diaghram call secret?

How the heck do you use these things? I bought one for the first time yesterday, followed the directions on the back of the package, and almost swallowed the damn thing, gagging myself in the process. I'm a little nervous about this.... if I accidently swallow it, every time I fart the Elk will come a runnin!

Seriously, whats the trick?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 PM

First I would pic up a 'how to call for elk' video. They will tell you more that we could on the forum.

Then if you still can't get it to work, then try a different type of call...by primos.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Some guys can use em, some cant...I find that its all in how I hold my tongue and apply pressure on the diaphram. I cut mine a bit to fit my mouth so they dont move as much....

Mostly I dont like diaphram calls though....I can cow-chirp with my voice anyways just as good as any diaphram call, so I'd rather use my voice anyways....but they're nice for hands free....
Old 07-12-2007, 02:33 PM

I guess I must be one of the people who can use them. When I purchased my diaphragm call, several years ago now, I picked up a copy of Wayne Carlson's cassette tape on elk calling. He described how to use the call and I followed his instructions and within an hour or so I was imitating the calls on the tape. After that it was like riding a bike--as soon as I pop one in my mouth, I can use it.

I think the critical thing is to get the diaphragm to fit the roof of your mouth so that it's comfortable and stays in place. The key is to put air pressure between your tongue and the edge of the plastic flapper such that you get that screaming call. If you have to fit the diaphragm, don't cut too much too soon. Cut a little bit, test it, then if necessary cut a little more.

I keep my calls (I have a collection with different weights of material) in a box that is handy and I can quickly pop one in my mouth if the needs arises. I wouldn't go elk hunting without them. When that bull is responding and coming your way, there's no greater high.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM

For beginners... Put it in your mouth and just let it sit there for a few minutes before you start calling. Let the spit and gob flow for a bit and eventually your mouth will get used to it. It will also soften up the outer rim of the call.

When your done, soak it in a dish of Scope to keep the bacteria and stink at bay.

I've been using diaphragm calls for turkey and coyotes for years and they are tough to beat. If you can bugle with one in your mouth then that's a bonus too- You can still chirp and mew with your bow at full draw.

Not everybody can mouth call elk, including me!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:16 PM

ABDUKNUT, as I read your post, for a second I thought you wrote "soak it in dish soap"....man I am glad I read that wrong....you think Eldiablo had trouble with the call now.....LOL

It took me a while to get use to the call in my mouth too....I am definitely a gagger (no shots, it's too easy)...after some practice it is pretty easy...it really doesn't sit far back in your mouth when you are using it correctly.

I agree with Don....there is no substitute for a Diaphram call, espically bow hunting, when at times both hands can be occupied at draw, or ready to draw, and you need to give that one last chirp or bugle to get the elk to stop or turn......Keep on practicing!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 PM

like what was said it just takes pratice, i drove a lot of people crazy when i was first learning but it comes around. some people learn quick and some never do. when your first learning dont be overly concerned about sounding like an elk just put it in and make noises and learn all the diffrent pitches that they can make. Once you learn it i think there is nothing better. Those calls that you just blow are good for locating bulls but when your in close and personal the mouth reeds are way better and you can do a lot more with them. I can tell the tube calls miles away and know when it's another hunter almost everytime. I have called in that many hunters it's funny. But i have a friend that just cant use the mouth reeds becasue he gags as soon as it touches his tounge but he still calls in elk with the other ones. Good luck
Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM

Start off with a single reed and work your way up.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Mouth Calls

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE... It took a buudy of mine a few months of trying, to his ex-wife's content. Once you get it, you will not loose it. Trial and error on position of call in mouth, tongue pressure and how hard you exhale.

HAVE FUN TRYING.. If you live by an elk farm, drive up the road and away from the farmer's house and try cow calling
Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM

I' m one of those people who can't hack these things, so for elk at least, I bought a call, believe it's a Carlton, that the diagphram just fits into.
Grizz
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM

I picked one up also last year ,because i could not remember why i threw the last one out years ago.....
Now I remember after trying ...they tickle my mouth
and secondly how clean are they after using them over and over and just throwing them in a bag.
How do all you guys store them ?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:26 AM
smokinjoe

First thing is to make it comfortable. Trim the edge little by little until you quit gagging. Don't trim too much, or you will just end up spitting it out every time you blow. Don't try to bugle right away. Just work on making noise with it, practicing different pitches. When you can squeak out a tune with it, then go to the cassette or video. Remember, this isn't going to happen overnight, tomorrow, or next week.
If you get discouraged, throw on a Primos video and listen to them bugle- you don't have to be perfect and it still works.
Best of luck
Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 AM

I bought a small plastic box designed to hold several of them. The box fits neatly in my pocket and protects the diaphragms from dirt etc. I clean them and the box at least once-a-season using a light solution of dish soap. I soak them for a while and then rinse in warm water. In camp, I may rinse them in water.

I agree that these things may not work for everyone. My partner can't hack them and uses a prepared call. He sounds awful , but called in a royal 6x6 the first day he used it. So, no, you don't have to be good to be effective.

Definitely start out with a single reed and work yourself up to the heavier ones. I think my most effective diaphragm has two pieces of plastic. They do wear out after a few seasons.

The tickling does take some getting used to, but is soon forgotten when a bull calls back at you.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiablo View Post
How the heck do you use these things? I bought one for the first time yesterday, followed the directions on the back of the package, and almost swallowed the damn thing, gagging myself in the process. I'm a little nervous about this.... if I accidently swallow it, every time I fart the Elk will come a runnin!

Seriously, whats the trick?

nothing to add but thanks for the morning chuckle
Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 AM

I found the best way to get used to these calls was to practice while I was driving alone - fewer distractions and embarrasments. When the gagging reflex starts to get the best of you, just spit it out fast.

Once you master them, they are hard to beat for endurance and convenience. I sometimes keep one in my mouth for several hours at a time. I flip the call over side ways, between my outside gums and cheek when needing to talk, swallow, chew, etc. Makes a good party trick around the bonfire when you all of a sudden let out an earsplitting bugle to demonstrate a call to someone you have been conversing normally with for the last five minutes!

When I hunt on foot or muleback, I just keep moving and calling every few hundred meters as I go along. Undisturbed bulls will reply most any time of the day during the rut, as long as you get within hearing range of them. The closer the better.

I keep mine in a couple of those old oval shaped plastic coin holders with the slit on one side. I just let the call air dry for a minute or so befor I stick it back in the coin case. They have never gone moldy and last several years.
Enjoy
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Reeds

The one mistake that I made for years was that I tried to use the tip of my tongue against the diaphram, and I couldn't handle the vibration on my tongue. Now I put the tip of my tongue at the base of my bottom front teeth and kind of arch your tongue up against the diaphram, this way it dosen't tickle at all and seems to work for me. That's probably the way the way it's meant to be used but I never was told that before. I still have to work on my calling but it's getting better, at least now I get some calls back. Can't wait for Elk season!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Hey, give it to your wife to try when you've had enough. You'll be so embarrassed how quickly she got an elk sound out of it that you won't quit until yo do too!! At least that's what I had to do! Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 AM

What kind of call are you using. I like the Primos brand with the 'palete plate' it helps to keep from sliding too far back. I suggest the Primos cd "mastering the art, elk calls made easy" It is a great beginners cd. Rocky Jacobs (buguling bull game calls) makes some good calls and his cd is good too. Jim Horn has a couple of cds too. Get in the truck toss in a cd and call in your mouth and keep practicing you will get used to it.

Good Luck
Old 07-13-2007, 12:31 PM

Turn it around.... hey who knows I have seen guys try to use them backwards before.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 PM

I'll second Fallairfever's about the palate plate from Primos. Its the only call a buddy of mine can use b/c his gag reflex is really bad....Even worse after he gut shoots a moose and we are skinning it out..

Practic in the truck is a good idea mentioned also. Helps me get ready again before the season. But after awhile it gives me a headache...to loud. Once my boy is old enough, I'll do it around the house more b/c of his encouragement and to my wife's displeasure...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Default I can't do it

I bought a diaphram call, opened it up and tried it as I was driving home from the store. It ended up on the Yellowhead about 4 km from Wholesale Sports

I use the Power Bugler. I think it's the best one that I've heard for a tube call, and you can take the tube off and use it for a coyote howler. For cows, the Hootchie Mama is about as easy as it gets.

Mind you, I'm far from an experienced authority on elk hunting...
Old 07-14-2007, 02:11 PM

LOL, some good comments here guys. Like FAF said, I would reccomend the plate calls. They reduce the amount of vibration in your mouth considerably. I practice with mine year round, and come Sept. it is just second nature to have one of them calls tucked into the side of mouth, all day long. I have found the Primos ones to be the best, followed by the carlton tone trough. I bought some of Rocky's calls, but I didn't really care for the inconsistency out of them once they were in my mouth for a few hours.

Practice, in front of a DVD, or a tape in the truck, and copy every single bugle/cow call, you, or the people around you, can handle, and you will be sure to be rewarded come fall time.