Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 08:57 PM

Default Parker hale mk1 no3 scope mount options

Hey all looking to help an aging friend out. His old iron sighted parker hale is not working with his eyes anymore. He asked me if I could mount a scope on it for him. It's a no 3 with the rear bridge ground off so the ATI mount wont work.. it does have three plug screws in the side of the action ahead of the thumb notch...think it might be for an older side mount weaver rail?? Anyways anyone have some old parts kicking around I could buy off you for this or know of any commercial offerings? I did find an addlyprecision mount but it requires drill and tap and I have no way of knowing if the exsiting holes will cause problems with the new ones the addly requires... thanks for any help
Old 10-23-2021, 11:47 PM

I actually built a scope mount for my old no1 years ago out of a 3 inch long piece of 1x1 angle iron. It screwed to the side of the action. I drilled and tapped the top side and mounted a weaver rail on in. I believe you can buy the same style mount commercially but it is super simple to make. Rock solid as well.

Here is a link to where I got the idea from in the first place I think.

http://www.303british.com/id32.html
Old 10-24-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I actually built a scope mount for my old no1 years ago out of a 3 inch long piece of 1x1 angle iron. It screwed to the side of the action. I drilled and tapped the top side and mounted a weaver rail on in. I believe you can buy the same style mount commercially but it is super simple to make. Rock solid as well.

Here is a link to where I got the idea from in the first place I think.

http://www.303british.com/id32.html
Your correct my mk4no1 has flat side to the receiver and I did the exact same thing. This mk1 no3 has a radius on the receiver making the angle iron trick much more difficult. Thank you for the suggestion though
Old 10-24-2021, 08:31 AM

I have a no drill mount for a No1 that somebody gave me. IMO its a pretty Micky Mouse looking setup but I think if one were to mount it using the set screws, mount the scope and ensure it is aligned properly and can be sighted in, then pulled the scope and drill/mark your pilot holes with the mount in place... it would likely work alright.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:23 AM

Old eyes and the need for optics is a mean mistress, I feel for your friend.

The other sad reality is your run of the mill Lee Enfield doesn’t have the proper stock geometry to accept scope mounting very well. You never end up with any cheek weld at all once a scope is mounted, at best chin weld is achieved.

There’s 3 avenues to get around this dilemma.

1. Eye surgery (LASIK or similar)
2. Different style rifle stock.
3. Different el cheapo rifle w/scope.

Think hard on his options.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-24-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Old eyes and the need for optics is a mean mistress, I feel for your friend.

The other sad reality is your run of the mill Lee Enfield doesn’t have the proper stock geometry to accept scope mounting very well. You never end up with any cheek weld at all once a scope is mounted, at best chin weld is achieved.

There’s 3 avenues to get around this dilemma.

1. Eye surgery (LASIK or similar)
2. Different style rifle stock.
3. Different el cheapo rifle w/scope.

Think hard on his options.
He said it was a Parker Hale sporter, I was assuming it has the monte carlo stock, but I do suppose that isnt necessarily true.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
He said it was a Parker Hale sporter, I was assuming it has the monte carlo stock, but I do suppose that isnt necessarily true.
Easy enough to check.
Just don’t go with the Weaver 3/8” base route, it’s the worst set up out there, utilizing rimfire rings that put the scope a 1/2 mile above the bore.

These are a better option;
https://www.thecountryshed.com/SK-1-...ings_p_37.html

https://www.combathunting.com/Enfiel...ope_Mount.html

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 10-24-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:00 AM

The rifle indeed has the monte carlo stock. It was modified by parker hale and had the rear receiver ring ground off so the mounts that utilize that to fix the rail are not an option...I need to get a side mount. The side of this enfield is different than my #4, it is a radius so the 90deg side mounts wont work. I'll check into getting a machinist to maybe make a rail mount that will work.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
The rifle indeed has the monte carlo stock. It was modified by parker hale and had the rear receiver ring ground off so the mounts that utilize that to fix the rail are not an option...I need to get a side mount. The side of this enfield is different than my #4, it is a radius so the 90deg side mounts wont work. I'll check into getting a machinist to maybe make a rail mount that will work.
Check this out , looks to me like it is a match.

https://addleyprecision.com/product/le1p/
Old 10-24-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Check this out , looks to me like it is a match.

https://addleyprecision.com/product/le1p/
Yes that's the one I found.. only thing I'm not certain of is that one requires drill and tap to install. My concern is the placement of the new holes in relation to the exsiting ones