Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 07:10 PM

Default Broken garage door spring

Anyone know of a good garage door repair shop who can fix my broken door spring, I phoned Camrose Overhead Door , talked to the receptionist, she got the service tech to phone me , I told him the problem, never heard back from him , wouldn’t return calls , this has gone on for over a week
Old 10-22-2021, 07:20 PM

careful as the springs may still be wound and spring if moved if they are on the floor

Happened to me when I was 14 and tearing apart a garage for a house contractor
Old 10-22-2021, 07:29 PM

I used CK in Camrose, and they did quick work for a good price.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:22 AM

Default youtube

had the same issue a while back, watched a vid & did it myself.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:54 AM

Check you PM's.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:33 AM

You'll need to replace both. I recently did mine. Two springs were $140 at Garage Doors Calgary. Winding bars from Metal Superstore were $12. Took less than an hour to replace working by myself. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:36 AM

If you have Overhead door out there I would pass and look for a better price. Called them 2 weeks ago for a quote to replace the weather stripping on 4 garage doors, $180 per door, so $760 all in, plus they wanted mileage of 100 bucks because I live outside Edmonton. I live 4 miles north of the City limits. Bought the material, total cost including screws and caulking $150. Total install time, 4 hours.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
had the same issue a while back, watched a vid & did it myself.
Could be very hazardous to your health if you don't know what it's all about. I knew a guy who severely ripped up his arm, because he didn't.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-23-2021, 10:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

YouTube....if you have the time but do not just replace one do both of them.

Be extremely careful as there is a lot of stored energy in these buggers....in fact the last time I just got a company to come in and do it right as I was out fishing

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Could be very hazardous to your health if you don't know what it's all about. I knew a guy who severely ripped up his arm, because he didn't.

Grizz
100% agree if you're not mechanically inclined. Super simple if you are. A lot of the garage door guys are low paid with basic instruction.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:56 PM

Try H &M Bos Door + Service.
https://www.bosdoor.ca/
Local to Camrose.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:38 PM

I have done a couple over the years. As mentioned do both springs and be very careful if you do it yourself. You will need to know the size of spring to buy doing it yourself. Watch some you tube videos, really help. A friend to help, helps. Be very careful as the unbroken spring has full tension. You can use a strong thick screw driver or an extension from your ratchet set. Not the most safe way but it does work when you can't buy or have access to the proper tools. Be safe. Wear gloves and safety glasses. The extra help could hold your ladder. If unsure at all? Call the pros
Old 10-24-2021, 09:58 PM

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
I'm no mechanic but after watching some videos I felt comfortable with doing it with a buddy. Pretty easy to do, but as said, if you feel it's within your comfort zone.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
You'll need to replace both. I recently did mine. Two springs were $140 at Garage Doors Calgary. Winding bars from Metal Superstore were $12. Took less than an hour to replace working by myself. Good luck.
Always do both at once. Did one once… other went shortly after two visits were way more expensive. A couple different techs all said the same thing Springs are rated for a certain number of open and closes. I believe you can buy longer rated ones.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-25-2021, 09:25 PM

If you do it yourself, Amazon always has “used” for half the price of new. I got these springs three times, and they were always 100% new. My theory is that people get the winding backwards and return them. The right side is from the outside looking in, not as viewed from in the garage.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
If you do it yourself, Amazon always has “used” for half the price of new. I got these springs three times, and they were always 100% new. My theory is that people get the winding backwards and return them. The right side is from the outside looking in, not as viewed from in the garage.
Still need to know length and diameter of spring. If you know how to do the proper measurements perfect. Don't get the right size and does not work properly. I always took the good one in to a shop that deals in the springs and got the right ones no guessing. Color coded. They will also tell you how many turns to use and which side they go on for your door size.