Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 03:27 PM

Default Smelly sea of green

Last night I finally found a use for my 20 lb. fishing line I bought years ago when I was going to become a professional fisherman. It seemed that every day her branches were sagging lower and lower. Well last night I had enough and tied up some supports.

Her name is Moe. She is a Hindu kush indica. I'm trying something new with this set up and really didn't know what to expect. I'll have better support set up next time. Usually I grow my plants quite a bit smaller. I'll tell you, when I was done, I had sticky fingers.

I have some outdoor goodies that are starting to come along as well.

Are you guys growing anything? How are they coming along?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200708-152626_Gallery.jpg (20.6 KB, 1645 views)
Old 07-08-2020, 03:44 PM

Reapers and ghosts lol. Was thinking about growing some weed. But I don’t like smoking it, so would have to learn how to create an oil.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:07 PM

You can heat it up in veggie oil and strain it. Then make your brownies and cookies with the veggie oil.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Last night I finally found a use for my 20 lb. fishing line I bought years ago when I was going to become a professional fisherman. It seemed that every day her branches were sagging lower and lower. Well last night I had enough and tied up some supports.

Her name is Moe. She is a Hindu kush indica. I'm trying something new with this set up and really didn't know what to expect. I'll have better support set up next time. Usually I grow my plants quite a bit smaller. I'll tell you, when I was done, I had sticky fingers.

I have some outdoor goodies that are starting to come along as well.

Are you guys growing anything? How are they coming along?
Nice lookin girls.

I have some Gorilla Glue and some Big Bud almost ready to come down, the BB top colas are the size of two footballs end to end, I'm guessing a half pound each dry. Sorry, I don't post pics of that.

If you haven't tried it yet, try this stuff out. Great product. You will think your plants have mould, but it's just the terps.

https://hydro-lite.com/products/gree...01b4c905&_ss=r
Old 07-08-2020, 11:16 PM

Dang that will be a nice crop. Nope I haven't used that stuff ill have to check it out. Do you have a hydro set up or are you using soil? Right now I'm using roughly 70% coco and 30% perlite.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:48 AM

Default Standard black 5 gallon pails with netpot lids.

Quote:
Dang that will be a nice crop. Nope I haven't used that stuff ill have to check it out. Do you have a hydro set up or are you using soil? Right now I'm using roughly 70% coco and 30% perlite.
I use buckets (Mama's are in dirt in Sunshine Mix soil) with three mister heads inside each bucket feeding the roots just below the basket making it an Aeroponic system. It feeds the roots directly but dosent drown them. I used to use a top drip system but it's to inconsistent in dispersing the nutrients over all of the roots and instead picks its own line and runs like a river over a select few main roots. My way they ALL get covered with the good juice.

I've recently switched from using Advanced Nutrients exclusively to Rèmo (Reh-mo, not Ree-moe). Instead of having about 15 secondary nutrients like AN they only have four additional nutes on top of the three basic ones as opposed to AN's roughly fifteen additional products besides the three main ones.

Besides considerably less products, Remo is way, WAY cheaper than Advanced. Using quality nutrients can get REALLY spendy.
If you haven't tried AN's Voodoo Juice give it a try, it's a great product. You can double your root production between the Veg & Flower stage by using it, when I cut down usually the roots come almost to the bottom of the basket, the pail is FULL of big, healthy roots. You know what they say, the bigger the roots, the bigger the fruits! That's so true. I'm boarder line OCD when it comes to roots.

He has some good videos on YouTube, here's a couple. He has buds as big as your leg, and not just one or two.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4rKB2Dlwoms
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6I64UMUfrhE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T71ZclpmDQs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNgWAGBroEs&t=53s

If you haven't tried using CO2, try it. Besides giving you substantially more weight it tightens the bud up big time. I use a couple Green Air Products generators combined with a main controller that I can control my exhaust fans. It's super important if your going to use CO2 to make sure there's none left in the air when the lights go out, it turns toxic to the plants when the lights go out.

Here's the gennie's I use

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...MygCegUIARC6AQ

And the controller.
https://old.greenair.com/images/spcwiring.gif

I'm going to swap out the CO2 generators for a tank & hoop system and not worry about lugging 30 lb propane tanks around anymore. Can't believe I've done that as long as I already have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Part-Equipm...YAAOSw9VZe8ckh

I've set a few friends up since legalization that don't even smoke, they do it just for the fun of it. It's a great hobby if you can stay on top of the details. When we do a cards night or games night at one of their places they will set out a huge popcorn bowl overflowing with bud for the people that do partake. None of the smokers in our circle ever have to worry about buying that overpriced dispensary bunk weed. Everybody wins, except the dispensarys and especially the tax man.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
You can heat it up in veggie oil and strain it. Then make your brownies and cookies with the veggie oil.
Could you please explain the process or provide a link on how that is done? The making of the oil that is.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Could you please explain the process or provide a link on how that is done? The making of the oil that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z58FiH87-6w
lots on youtube

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-09-2020, 08:31 AM

I have a hard time believing these over priced nutrients wil do any good.I would think most people overfeed their plants not even knowing it.
I have a small experiment going on,one with coco and the other in a mix of peat and compost.Same strain ,coco is fed every watering with 1.0
ec veg the dirt one is just straight tap water.Curious on the flavor difference.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Thanks!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You can also buy the THC or CBD oil at a dispensary. Either in a liquid spray or dropper. Wife makes 2 bite brownies in mini muffin tins. Figure out the dose you want and drip or spray the oil into each brownie. Instant edible.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:01 AM

Just wondering how many members are like me who has never tried weed and has no interest in it whatsoever . Hey not knocking you guys who use, to each there own. Am I a odd ball or is there others who are like me?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Just wondering how many members are like me who has never tried weed and has no interest in it whatsoever . Hey not knocking you guys who use, to each there own. Am I a odd ball or is there others who are like me?
to each his own, just curious what the point of your comment is if you have no interest? some permanent injuries require a real solution not some man made poison that does zero good. you could always start a poll if you want to know

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I use buckets (Mama's are in dirt in Sunshine Mix soil) with three mister heads inside each bucket feeding the roots just below the basket making it an Aeroponic system. It feeds the roots directly but dosent drown them. I used to use a top drip system but it's to inconsistent in dispersing the nutrients over all of the roots and instead picks its own line and runs like a river over a select few main roots. My way they ALL get covered with the good juice.

I've recently switched from using Advanced Nutrients exclusively to Rèmo (Reh-mo, not Ree-moe). Instead of having about 15 secondary nutrients like AN they only have four additional nutes on top of the three basic ones as opposed to AN's roughly fifteen additional products besides the three main ones.

Besides considerably less products, Remo is way, WAY cheaper than Advanced. Using quality nutrients can get REALLY spendy.
If you haven't tried AN's Voodoo Juice give it a try, it's a great product. You can double your root production between the Veg & Flower stage by using it, when I cut down usually the roots come almost to the bottom of the basket, the pail is FULL of big, healthy roots. You know what they say, the bigger the roots, the bigger the fruits! That's so true. I'm boarder line OCD when it comes to roots.

He has some good videos on YouTube, here's a couple. He has buds as big as your leg, and not just one or two.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6I64UMUfrhE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T71ZclpmDQs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNgWAGBroEs&t=53s

If you haven't tried using CO2, try it. Besides giving you substantially more weight it tightens the bud up big time. I use a couple Green Air Products generators combined with a main controller that I can control my exhaust fans. It's super important if your going to use CO2 to make sure there's none left in the air when the lights go out, it turns toxic to the plants when the lights go out.

Here's the gennie's I use

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...MygCegUIARC6AQ

And the controller.
https://old.greenair.com/images/spcwiring.gif

I'm going to swap out the CO2 generators for a tank & hoop system and not worry about lugging 30 lb propane tanks around anymore. Can't believe I've done that as long as I already have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Part-Equipm...YAAOSw9VZe8ckh

I've set a few friends up since legalization that don't even smoke, they do it just for the fun of it. It's a great hobby if you can stay on top of the details. When we do a cards night or games night at one of their places they will set out a huge popcorn bowl overflowing with bud for the people that do partake. None of the smokers in our circle ever have to worry about buying that overpriced dispensary bunk weed. Everybody wins, except the dispensarys and especially the tax man.
Those are nice big buds! I'm on the lookout for a small co2 tank. I have a 30 pounder i use for my keezer setup that I can use to transfer to a smaller tank. I am using advanced nutrients. I'll have to look into the nutes from the video.

I was thinking of looking into something like the misting heads you were mentioning.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Assuming you watched the video Wayne linked. This is the way I've made my cooking oil for as long as I can remember. You don't get bad weed tasting food or chunks of weed in your teeth. I never really had a measuring system. I waited until I had a big bag of dry stuff and just winged it. Then I just put the cooking oil in a jar and label it. I might do something similar with all my clippings when I harvest.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I have a hard time believing these over priced nutrients wil do any good.I would think most people overfeed their plants not even knowing it.
I have a small experiment going on,one with coco and the other in a mix of peat and compost.Same strain ,coco is fed every watering with 1.0
ec veg the dirt one is just straight tap water.Curious on the flavor difference.
I dont know if you'll have flavour differences but you will most likely develop nutrition deficiencies. Especially growing in coco. Did you buffer your coco first? And are you feeding with cal-mag? This is a must with coco.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Odd ball. But hey, that's ok.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Not meaning to spam my own thread but if someone can post big clear pics for me I'll text them to you. I just know how to add small blurry pics. I don't have a computer.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I dont know if you'll have flavour differences but you will most likely develop nutrition deficiencies. Especially growing in coco. Did you buffer your coco first? And are you feeding with cal-mag? This is a must with coco.
Ya I have no problems with coco. Couldn’t be easier. Great way to test different ratios as the plant responds quickly.
I wouldn’t bother with the Advanced over priced stuff. I use powder and mix with my own water. Veg all the way through no added nothing except Ca and Mg.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:28 AM

Ya coco is great. I actually mixed half coco half soil mix and half perlite for my tomatoes too.

Yep 3 halves. That's my logic lol.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Assuming you watched the video Wayne linked. This is the way I've made my cooking oil for as long as I can remember. You don't get bad weed tasting food or chunks of weed in your teeth. I never really had a measuring system. I waited until I had a big bag of dry stuff and just winged it. Then I just put the cooking oil in a jar and label it. I might do something similar with all my clippings when I harvest.
So once you have the oil, how do you know how much to mix with olive oil or the dosage? Interesting video, but he had a lot of specialized equipment. The reason I ask is because I take medicinal MJ but it costs a lot.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
So once you have the oil, how do you know how much to mix with olive oil or the dosage? Interesting video, but he had a lot of specialized equipment. The reason I ask is because I take medicinal MJ but it costs a lot.
You can get one of these too.

https://www.amazon.ca/MAGICAL-Extrac...36640577&psc=1
Old 07-09-2020, 12:06 PM

I don't bother mixing liquid nutrients anymore too lazy.

I just use dry organic slow-release mostly Gaia Green but lately just Promix tomato/fruit bush (because 85% off is good) two feeds and some compost tea during the stretch.

Maybe I could get more, but as it is I probably give away half of most every batch and I generally only grow 2 plants at a time. I personally think proper training to maximize a small grow space will increase yields way more than high cost plant food

To the OP nice plants

To make butter (I just use trim)

1 oz trim is put into 2 500ml canning jars put a lid and finger tight ring (like if you were canning something)

90min in an instantpot (they run at 242f) to activate the weed.

1lb of melted butter is spread between the two jars (it should be plenty to just cover the contents)

90 min in an instantpot

Strain

(Optional) Add a tablespoon of Sunflower lecithin and as the butter cools whip the butter up a few time so things stay mixed more consistently.

Caramels are the edible of choice at our house. Very easy to get the right dose.

A dry herb vape for the rest

Last edited by aulrich; 07-09-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I haven't made it in a while and like I said I was just winging it. I'd take around an oz of weed. All busted up. Then put a litre or so of vegetable oil in a skillet and heat on low. Then add the weed and stir for a couple min. After it cools id run it through my typical metal screen kitchen strainer. Or coffee filter into a jar. You need to keep the heat low enough so you don't burn away what you're trying to absorb into the oil.

I have no idea the ratio you're looking for. I'd put enough oil to cover the weed. We just did it to get stoned. All the recipes call for veggie oil so thats the oil I used. We liked it because it didn't alter the taste of whatever you are baking. If you're recipe calls for say 1/3 cup of oil, you could do the math and figure how much weed you're using per batch. I didn't watch the whole video. I stopped when he was grinding.

Like I said I wasn't consistent. If I do it again I'll keep track of actual measurements.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I don't bother mixing liquid nutrients anymore too lazy.

I just use dry organic slow-release mostly Gaia Green but lately just Promix tomato/fruit bush (because 85% off is good) two feeds and some compost tea during the stretch.

Maybe I could get more, but as it is I probably give away half of most every batch and I generally only grow 2 plants at a time. I personally think proper training to maximize a small grow space will increase yields way more than high cost plant food

To the OP nice plants
Thanks! I'll have to get better pics on here somehow. That's actually just one plant.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:40 PM

Yup it's amazing what you can to with one plant/light. The only thing I would say is next time to train the center colas down and get a flatter canopy you could then run the light a little closer and get more out of the side branches.

I try to start flower with an even (as possible) canopy and then train branches down a needed during the stretch.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
hopefuly you let the tap water sit a couple days to evaporate the crap the city adds before you use it

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 07-09-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Yup it's amazing what you can to with one plant/light. The only thing I would say is next time to train the center colas down and get a flatter canopy you could then run the light a little closer and get more out of the side branches.

I try to start flower with an even (as possible) canopy and then train branches down a needed during the stretch.
It was all perfectly flat and spread out right when I switched to flower. I tried growing one plant where, for years, I've grown 4. And when she really started to go i ran out of room. Only option would be to take out a wall and the boss would kill me if I even mentioned that to her lol.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a very simple method that works bang on every time but it requires a sous vide setup. I like to use coconut oil because it masks the cannabis well and results in a more consistent outcome than butter and I have an good cookie recipe. Your MJ budget will stretch a lot longer this way.

Start with 3.5 grams, if you use a 20% THC strain this should result in your oil being between 600mg and 650mg of dissolved THC, you can portion that out to 20 doses of roughly 30mg. It's difficult to judge the effectiveness of the extraction so this is an estimate only.

First thing you're gonna do is put it in the oven for a bit to breakdown the THCA in the bud to THC so your body will take it up orally. This is called decarboxylation and is a critical step. Preheat the oven to 225F, grind up your flower and put it in a 500ml mason jar. Take a tea towel and get it damp, fold it up and put it on a cookie sheet, lay the jar on it's side using the towel to help keep it from rolling around. Bake for 60 minutes, shake up the jar a couple times during the process. Once that's done remove the jar and let it cool for 30 minutes or so, at least until you can open the lid.

Now setup your sous vide running at 185F. Open the jar, put in 1/2 cup plus a teaspoon or 125g of coconut oil, close it back up and drop it in the water bath for 4 hours, this will complete the extraction. Let it cool enough so you can open the jar but don't let it solidify on you. Strain the oil through a coffee filter or fine mesh sieve, you should end up with 1/2 cup or 113 grams.

Use this to make these cookies:
https://boysahoy.com/brown-sugar-cin...t-oil-cookies/

Some notes;

You don't have to use the jar to decarb but it helps with the stink, just put the grind on some parchment or foil if you don't mind.

You could use the oven or any other method to heat the oil for extraction but the sous vide allows you to keep the temp stable without having to mess with it. Most ovens don't work well below 200F if at all.

Start with HALF a cookie, wait 90 minutes. HALF
Old 07-09-2020, 02:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

man there is a science to this...and I thought pot heads were well just that...pot heads....dam smart scientists I say.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...