Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Do you check your water ph levels?
Yes of course,pH is probably the thing that most dont understand and causes a lot of problems.Back in the day we used litmus paper to check pH.Now you can get a meter for $20.I used baking soda and water as a control.Cant remember 7.9 i think it is.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:01 PM

I thought this thread would be about Rough Riders fans.

1/10.

Disappointed.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post

1/10.

Disappointed.
Good for you. Run along.

Last edited by sns2; 07-16-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Yes of course,pH is probably the thing that most dont understand and causes a lot of problems.Back in the day we used litmus paper to check pH.Now you can get a meter for $20.I used baking soda and water as a control.Cant remember 7.9 i think it is.
I run my hydro at 6. I don’t chase it around, just adjust the initial mix. Every thing is drained and recharged weekly, with buffered water added to make up.

Quote:
NPK is NPK, as long as all the micro and macro nutes are there it’s all the same.$12 worth lasts me a long time. My tomatoes and cucumbers are getting some of it now as I don’t know how old it is. It’s not what you buy it’s how you use it.
No so. Different nitrogen sources are tailored for the system you utilize.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:

1/10.

Disappointed.
Head yourself on back to saskatchatoon then.
10/10
Old 07-16-2020, 09:45 PM

This grow I used advanced nutrients with ph stabilizer and every time I checked it, it was right around 6.0 so I actually stopped checking.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 AM

I don’t have a lot of hydro experience but is it not recommend to have a rising pH?start at say 5.5 let it rise to 6.1 or so then re adjust back down?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Just wondering how many members are like me who has never tried weed and has no interest in it whatsoever . Hey not knocking you guys who use, to each there own. Am I a odd ball or is there others who are like me?
you're not alone, one of those 'thought i'd never see a thread like this here', but it's legal and gotta accept it, i find it weird as hell too, never did understand the stuff, can't get on with the smells, coughing a lung out, bursting blood vessels in my eyeballs while coughing a lung out etc.

having said that, whatever benefits can be had from the stuff in edible form for pain relief as i get more old and broken...i'm gonna be doing my gear junky level research into it and figure out what will work for me...eating it will be the only way i fly...i'm keeping my one remaining lung
Old 07-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

1/10.

Disappointed.
So did I lol
Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 AM

Would it be too late to start a couple auto-flowers now? I have access to a greenhouse that puts out tomatoes into late September.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Would it be too late to start a couple auto-flowers now? I have access to a greenhouse that puts out tomatoes into late September.
you should be fine, autos will typically have on average a 40 day grow period then a 5-6 week flower
Old 07-17-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I don’t have a lot of hydro experience but is it not recommend to have a rising pH?start at say 5.5 let it rise to 6.1 or so then re adjust back down?
THere are charts that indicate the uptake capacity of a plant at different ph levels. EC is another consideration for maximizing your nutrient levels without locking up the plant. Ph will drift as the plant effects the chemistry of the water, as expected. It’s when it starts swinging, indicating an upset in happy growth, that one becomes concerned. Best action is a replacement of media. Trying to chase it can collapse a growth. This is with hydro. Soil is a wonderful ph buffer. Testing your drain water allows you to water with a ph that won’t shock the plant, which luckily for us, is basic tap water lightly adjusted.

To your NPK comment, nitrogen sources are packaged to provide a continuous source. Bacterial systems have a time delay, whilst hydro has more readily available form. You’ll get benefit from either, but they are tuned differently

Last edited by MyAlberta; 07-17-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
you should be fine, autos will typically have on average a 40 day grow period then a 5-6 week flower
If you need more time, enclose it in a poly tarp, ventilated.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:59 AM

Is anyone else growing it that can't use it? I've got a couple auto's on the go but smoking was never my thing (and I get tested at work). I do enjoy trying to grow new things. The wife has tried smoking a couple of times for sciatica since she can't stand using pain killers. It puts her right to sleep and helps her get a good rest. (The pain is mainly when she is laying down.)
So, I figured I'd try growing some for her.

I find the plants fascinating and they do smell amazing. Looking forward to trying some different techniques for growing. Next round will be some low stress training.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:07 PM

Way to have an open mind buckbrush. It’s a unique plant for sure.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Is anyone else growing it that can't use it? I've got a couple auto's on the go but smoking was never my thing (and I get tested at work). I do enjoy trying to grow new things. The wife has tried smoking a couple of times for sciatica since she can't stand using pain killers. It puts her right to sleep and helps her get a good rest. (The pain is mainly when she is laying down.)
So, I figured I'd try growing some for her.

I find the plants fascinating and they do smell amazing. Looking forward to trying some different techniques for growing. Next round will be some low stress training.
i don't use or smoke it either, just a fun hobby to grow
Old 07-17-2020, 01:40 PM

It’s a great sedative on the golf course. You know when your beside the green in two on a par 5 and you end up with a hockey stick😆
Old 07-17-2020, 07:33 PM

Like happy Gilmore
Old 07-17-2020, 07:38 PM

Tomorrow morning she is coming down. Tonight I'll get her hanging area ready. I can smell her exhaust fan in my driveway every day when I get home. I'm going to miss that lol. I think I'll grab a different strain and start another one right away. Tonight I'll do my final measurements for my notebook for the next time I grow this strain. And how close to my light that she likes. I do have 2 seeds left but I want to switch it up.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:08 PM

I think setting up a seed/clone swap here would be a good idea.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Tomorrow morning she is coming down. Tonight I'll get her hanging area ready. I can smell her exhaust fan in my driveway every day when I get home. I'm going to miss that lol. I think I'll grab a different strain and start another one right away. Tonight I'll do my final measurements for my notebook for the next time I grow this strain. And how close to my light that she likes. I do have 2 seeds left but I want to switch it up.
I always take a couple of healthy cuts for cloning. Once rooted, they carry on at that stage of growth. You’ll have offspring of the main plant, which in my mind, if I find a plant that has certain qualities, I want it to continue producing.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I think setting up a seed/clone swap here would be a good idea.
Now the buy and sell will full of clone and seed ads lol.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I always take a couple of healthy cuts for cloning. Once rooted, they carry on at that stage of growth. You’ll have offspring of the main plant, which in my mind, if I find a plant that has certain qualities, I want it to continue producing.
I have 2 nice clones that are almost 2 feet tall now. Plus another plant started from seed. I'm trying to decide which strain to grow next as my 4th plant.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:11 PM

Here are the girls that live in the back yard. 3 clones from my indoor plant that I harvested, and one seed of the same strain.

Update: my indoor plant in the previous pics gave me a good supply of personal smoke. I had it hanging for 9 or 10 days before I started my cure process. Which I think went well. The weed is stored now and I'd say it's a step up from being actually dry, but not damp. I didn't weigh it because I got off early that day to trim and bag everything the day we were leaving to go camping on the August long weekend. So the first 5 days of cure time happened in the camper on crown land. Now that I think of it I'm not sure I was allowed to have that much personal on me? I ended up with 2 freezer bags full. Next time I'm going to grow 2 plants indoors instead of 1, with a bit faster veg stage.

How's everyone else's outdoor crops doing? I'm worried here in Alberta we will have a short time for the flower stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200828-215402_Gallery.jpg (19.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200828-215352_Gallery.jpg (34.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:20 AM

had to move mine into the garage last night because of frost. Will finish them under lights. I'll post pics later when i get home from work.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:33 AM

Not many folks have been as weirded out like my kids, thier law and order dad smoking a joint on the back deck . I had not touched the stuff since High School, then the wife had hip trouble and we started to look for non-opioid pain management and she got a green card.

It did not help her much and she did eventually get a hip replacement but I found it very useful for me, as I aged I picked up chronic but what I would call annoying low-level pain, it works awesome for me, the pain does not go away like a pain pill but it does take the edge off and the pain relief last longer than the buzz so a dose at night makes the next day better, and does not really fade for a couple of days. I still use conventional medication when it gets bad but that is every once in a while now vs 2-4 a day constantly

Even now the wife uses one of my carmels at night really helps her sleep. For her she likes my last batch the best it was from a 1:1 cbd/thc plant relaxes her but with almost no buzz.

But let me warn you about edibles it's easy to take too much and have a bad experience.

I use a combination of edible and a dry herb vaporizer. Since edibles have a bit of a lag time I like to take those about an hour before bed, if it has been busy I'll use the vape. Ironically I have found that weed with a heavy lemon taste actually makes my lungs feel clearer.

The theoretical advantage of the dry herb vape is that you get all of the possible benificial chemicals (canabanoids and terpenes) out where those are lost during the extraction and cooking of an edible. And you skip most of the toxic stuff since those are usually a funtion of the combustion of the material. And unlike smoking it now where near as harsh at lower temps you hardly notice anything but a slight taste of the terpenes.

Stay away from the vape-juice stuff even the government stuff and especially black market. That crap is nasty, I have in-laws in the legal business and got some free disposable vapes great for smoking in public but that is it.

The other side benifit is that even though I was never a big drinker, I have basically stopped drinking and probably lost 10lbs just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
you're not alone, one of those 'thought i'd never see a thread like this here', but it's legal and gotta accept it, i find it weird as hell too, never did understand the stuff, can't get on with the smells, coughing a lung out, bursting blood vessels in my eyeballs while coughing a lung out etc.

having said that, whatever benefits can be had from the stuff in edible form for pain relief as i get more old and broken...i'm gonna be doing my gear junky level research into it and figure out what will work for me...eating it will be the only way i fly...i'm keeping my one remaining lung
Old 08-31-2020, 03:28 PM

Now that it's legal and they are using cannabis for everything from pain and anxiety to hand lotion and cloths it's pretty hard to argue with it being beneficial. Plus I don't have to hide my plants anymore!

It's funny, I bet your kids are baffled at the fact that their dad is relaxing outside smoking a doobie lol.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:55 AM

Here's the girls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20200831_212927.jpg (47.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20200831_212936.jpg (50.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:02 AM

^^^ beautiful girls. Those branches are going to start getting heavy!
Old 09-01-2020, 09:37 AM

The pick of this years outdoor auto flowering the smaller is a sour diesel and is about done. The other is a lemon skunk that took it’s sweet time to go into flower, might have to finish it under light. It has a couple of weeks to go. Both are well over 100 days from sprout, the other two have been done and they are in the jar but not nearly as big. The colas on the diesel are about the size of a coke can maybe a bit bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0