Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2020, 10:28 AM

Another one surprised to see this thread pop up but happy to see the stigma fading!

Been involved with the hobby for a quite a while. Don't often grow throughout the summer, keep threatening to try autos but the humidity around my parts is the nuisance.. fight mold every year! This year I decided to build some seed stock over the summer. Just putting the finishing touches on a Zig Zag seperator.

The DIY projects are what keeps this interesting!

Old 09-01-2020, 10:58 AM

i gotta ask, what does the separator do and how does it work
Old 09-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
The pick of this years outdoor auto flowering the smaller is a sour diesel and is about done. The other is a lemon skunk that took it’s sweet time to go into flower, might have to finish it under light. It has a couple of weeks to go. Both are well over 100 days from sprout, the other two have been done and they are in the jar but not nearly as big. The colas on the diesel are about the size of a coke can maybe a bit bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice little bushy plants. Lots of buds in a small area!
Old 09-01-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusticles View Post
Another one surprised to see this thread pop up but happy to see the stigma fading!

Been involved with the hobby for a quite a while. Don't often grow throughout the summer, keep threatening to try autos but the humidity around my parts is the nuisance.. fight mold every year! This year I decided to build some seed stock over the summer. Just putting the finishing touches on a Zig Zag seperator.

The DIY projects are what keeps this interesting!

With a 4 plant limit, you're going to need to have your whole neighborhood growing pot for you!
Old 09-01-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
i gotta ask, what does the separator do and how does it work
The unit uses vacuum to separate good seeds from plant matter and lighter, unviable seeds. You hook a shop vacuum up to the PVC collar then tune the system to leave just enough suction at the fill port to almost suspend good seeds. Anything lighter gets whisked away to the chamber on the right.

Still takes some sorting afterwards but seemed like a cool project and should save me a step or two. Built out of all repurposed junk from here on the farm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
With a 4 plant limit, you're going to need to have your whole neighborhood growing pot for you!
I went through the work of getting my ACMPR last year then got my mom on board as well. Lots of room to hunt!
Old 09-01-2020, 01:35 PM

Seed projects are fun, the lemon skunk is from a bean I got from my first attempt at self'ing a plant. My second attempt did not work but it was close.

The plan is to make seeds of every strain I get a hold of, I have one more bean of the sour diesel so that is the next attempt. I bought a little 2x2 tent just for making seed paid for itself on the first batch.

And yes I went all Johnny Apple seed co-workers, family, and friends and I still have a bunch leftover.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM

We need to put together a seed/pollen trading sticky.... I have a pile of feminized Crop King Gelato, Early miss and white widow seeds plus feminized pollen.
When I get a new strain, I usually make sure I get some seeds out of it.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:13 PM

I was checking out the girls in the back yard today and noticed they are starting to show signs of flowering. It's about time lol I'm getting worried about the cold weather. If you guys and gals have any trimming to do before flower stage you better get trimming asap!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I was checking out the girls in the back yard today and noticed they are starting to show signs of flowering. It's about time lol I'm getting worried about the cold weather. If you guys and gals have any trimming to do before flower stage you better get trimming asap!
Wow that’s late. Normally around aug 10 photos will pre flower. Your gonna need a green house or something. Are these autos?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:14 PM

Well they may be a week into showing signs. I just noticed today. Plus a week before showing white hairs? These won't fit in my little greenhouse. Tomorrow if I remember, I'll bring some thick poly home from work to seal in my frame. My nephew might be moving out in a couple of weeks. If he does, I'll be converting his room into an indoor garden. Not auto flower. They were clones from my indoor plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200907-200638_Gallery.jpg (24.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200907-201007_Gallery.jpg (31.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 AM

So when you grow your seed's,do you get femitized seed's or both,is there away to tell witch ones are female.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:04 AM

It depends if you do it the old fashioned way using actual male plants for pollen then you get the normal 50/50 mix (some folks say you can tell from a seed but that is likly bro-science not real science). To get feminized seed you need to use 2 female plants. In the early days they would stress out the plant to force it to go hermaphrodite so a female plant would grow male flowers and pollinate the plant (this is the major reason early feminize seeds had the reputation of going hermi).

Now a seed grower can use a chemical treatment to block the hormone that produces female flowers, the three I know are Collodial Silver, Sliver thiosulfate and Gillerbric Acid. You apply it on a schedule over 30 days starting a week or before you go into flower. You then use that pollen to make seeds and since no male genetics are there all of the seeds are female, and if the original breeder selected out the tendency to hermi the feminized seeds should be stable.

Now here is a fun thing, you can just treat a branch or two and not the whole plant, that way a seed project does not take up half of your plant count.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Well they may be a week into showing signs. I just noticed today. Plus a week before showing white hairs? These won't fit in my little greenhouse. Tomorrow if I remember, I'll bring some thick poly home from work to seal in my frame. My nephew might be moving out in a couple of weeks. If he does, I'll be converting his room into an indoor garden. Not auto flower. They were clones from my indoor plant.
Looks like you should do well off those girls.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:33 PM

So it's time again to start the indoor garden. I'll be building a bigger area downstairs this time. When I started this thread, I was growing one plant. But by the pics I posted, you can see that she was a big mama. This time I'm growing four plants. I won't be growing them as big as the last one. I don't have the space for that.

I'm not sure yet what size "plant room" I'm going to build. 4x4? 6x3? I'll figure that out when I start surveying the basement. For now the girls are in my old original space.

I was using a 600W LED light with adjustable, 1-100%, veg and flower. For now I'm using the same light. But I will either buy a second identical light, or upgrade to something totally different. I haven't decided yet.

On Feb 28, I started 4 seeds. 2 Purple Majik, and 2 MK Ultra. Today I got my light and exhaust plugged back in and fired back up. I'll update when I can.

What about you guys and gals, still growing? Or waiting for outdoor weather?

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2021, 08:41 PM

I may try one outdoors this year. I know aphids will be a problem may just build a one plant greenhouse so I can flip it in the middle of June by just covering it up for 12 hours light. Be finished by September 1. Never tried an auto before so may go that route but their hit or miss.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I may try one outdoors this year. I know aphids will be a problem may just build a one plant greenhouse so I can flip it in the middle of June by just covering it up for 12 hours light. Be finished by September 1. Never tried an auto before so may go that route but their hit or miss.
I will through some autos outside when it turns nice but i'll keep my photo's inside in the tents.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:58 AM

Smile

I have a nice Indica Strain, Blue Cheese, coming along nicely.
Just topped it and it has super tight node spacing.
I started on January 25th with seeds from Expert Seed Bank.
I researched what was a more compact and hardy strain, with a good kick !
I will be cloning in about 4 weeks, taking 8 and growing the best 4.
Will be in my heated greenhouse May 1..7 Gallon Air Pots using Coco-Perlite..
Should be a great season !!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:19 AM

Don't go smaller than 5X5 room you will regret it if you do. Go with 6X6 or bigger if you can and as much height as you can get. Just finished a
thc bomb, gigabud and blueberry. Started new crop of Zombie Virus, Black Zombie, Strawberry Cream, and Alien Rock Candy. All photoperiods.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Last year my outdoor plants were covered in aphids. They only became an issue when it started getting cold out. I'll use auto flowers next time. I don't have the option of covering the plants to change the light schedule as I work long days in the summer.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Don't go smaller than 5X5 room you will regret it if you do. Go with 6X6 or bigger if you can and as much height as you can get. Just finished a

thc bomb, gigabud and blueberry. Started new crop of Zombie Virus, Black Zombie, Strawberry Cream, and Alien Rock Candy. All photoperiods.
I'll have to map out my room and see the square footage I have to work with. And what square footage the boss lets me use, this is the main factor in my tent size lol.

What are you guys using for building materials? At first I was thinking a 2x4 frame. I thought this would be solid, but overkill. Then I thought cutting the 2x4s into 2x2. Then I thought about 1" or ¾" plastic conduit tube. It would be cheap and lighter weight.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Last year my outdoor plants were covered in aphids. They only became an issue when it started getting cold out. I'll use auto flowers next time. I don't have the option of covering the plants to change the light schedule as I work long days in the summer.

I spray with safers soap starting early so that keeps them away. Last year end of August it seemed there was millions all of a sudden and so spray was gonna keep them away lol. Even a green house would be hard. Not sure why but it was like someone flipped a switch and there were millions of them. What a pain.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'll have to map out my room and see the square footage I have to work with. And what square footage the boss lets me use, this is the main factor in my tent size lol.

What are you guys using for building materials? At first I was thinking a 2x4 frame. I thought this would be solid, but overkill. Then I thought cutting the 2x4s into 2x2. Then I thought about 1" or ¾" plastic conduit tube. It would be cheap and lighter weight.

Figure out your size and use a tent there are many sizes. I use a 5X5 and it can be a little small at times. I have three lights and a exhaust fan hanging off the roof of mine so they support lots of weight.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:11 AM

I did the diy wood box, but unless you need/want the stealth (a wood one looks like furniture) you will be better off with a tent they are cheaper( at least used) and purpose-built.

this is my current crop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarchHarvest.jpg (86.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 11:22 AM

tent (2).pdf

my current grow.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:43 AM

Hey guys,glad to see this thread back,gonna build a cheap greenhouse,would like to try some autoflowering,where is the best place to buy some seeds and what would be the best bang for the buck,looking for something in a indica but I am starting to like some of the sativa's.Could I grow both in a greenhouse.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Just wondering how many members are like me who has never tried weed and has no interest in it whatsoever . Hey not knocking you guys who use, to each there own. Am I a odd ball or is there others who are like me?
Ditto however I love growing plants. From what I hear even the plants have a distinct odour so growing for fun isn’t in the cards for me. I have a couple dragonfruit plants growing out of control now and keeping me busy.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Would something like this work?

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/bug-ou...0/8594272.html

I used a sheet like it to cover kohlrabi and carrots to keep the bugs off. Worked well.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-09-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
Hey guys,glad to see this thread back,gonna build a cheap greenhouse,would like to try some autoflowering,where is the best place to buy some seeds and what would be the best bang for the buck,looking for something in a indica but I am starting to like some of the sativa's.Could I grow both in a greenhouse.
Check out Seedsman i get all mine from there. Lots of freebies too.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Ditto however I love growing plants. From what I hear even the plants have a distinct odour so growing for fun isn’t in the cards for me. I have a couple dragonfruit plants growing out of control now and keeping me busy.
When it became legal I dropped a seed and kept it under my patio.When it was about 6" tall the smell was over powering.I ended up putting it in the shed with an led light and purchased a carbon filter to remove the smell.Worked well for the first while but after the buds started to grow I had to vent it out the roof.Was Ok until I opened the shed door,negative pressure was lost and the smell was every where lol.
In the wide open where wind will hit it would be better but I think all the neighbours would smell it then.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 AM

The smell does vary from plant to plant even with the same strain. The autos I have run are pretty moderate smell-wise. I have taken photo periods outside to get some sun when one batch developed Powdery mildew the neighbors did notice those but one of those was the terpyest weed I have ever had, and they were in full flower when I started to haul them out every day. Start a plant outside and the neighbors will be less likely to notice since any smell will build slowly.

I use True North Seed Bank