Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2021, 09:19 AM

Where is the best place to buy?
Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 09-30-2021, 09:41 AM

Bob

I have never considered Gold or Silver to be a good investment, nor do I see it as insurance or a good store of value. Same is true of Diamonds. Lots of people think you can always trade gold, diamonds etc for cash. All through history that has proven not to be true. German Jews had a lot of Gold and Diamonds as emergency funds, was simple for the government to make it illegal for them to own, sell or buy it.

The other problem with Gold is it is heavy, bulky and hard to store safely. Between 1980 and 2008, almost 30 years, the value was flat, if you bought in 79 you were still at a loss in 2008. Since then the prices have risen but look at the up and down movement. If you are going to beat inflation and have enough money to live on you need assets that go up as fast or faster than inflation. Land, rental property, top quality stocks all do far better at that than gold.
If you had invested 500,000 in Vancouver real estate in 1980 it would be worth about 10 million today. In gold you wouldn't even be at a million and gold won't pay you rent every month.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:06 AM

I had my silver for about 11 years! so made some $$$ but, I too now see now going through this Covid time-try a get rid of your silver! No-one has money! And if they do, they want it for cheap!
I was lucky to find about three buyer's that we buying for the long term and sold to them. Glad to be just about out, of the silver market!
Old 09-30-2021, 10:33 AM

Ok, points taken. I will buy more ammo instead!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-30-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Ok, points taken. I will buy more ammo instead!

If the poop hits the rotary oscillator, ammo and food will be far better hedges than gold.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I had my silver for about 11 years! so made some $$$ but, I too now see now going through this Covid time-try a get rid of your silver! No-one has money! And if they do, they want it for cheap!
I was lucky to find about three buyer's that we buying for the long term and sold to them. Glad to be just about out, of the silver market!
that seem to be a problem when it come to liquidity of the physical metal, the premium above spot for the physical item, hedge against the volume liquidity issue. rather if they trade contracts its instant with no time/logistic issues but no premium just spot price .
Old 10-22-2021, 08:41 AM

Gold and Silver finally catching a bid after a 8 month consolidation. The market started to trade a bit different over the last week or so. We weren't getting the usual 6-7 am in the morning, severe beatdown in the futures market prior to the North American open. We'll see if it lasts.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Gold and Silver finally catching a bid after a 8 month consolidation. The market started to trade a bit different over the last week or so. We weren't getting the usual 6-7 am in the morning, severe beatdown in the futures market prior to the North American open. We'll see if it lasts.
Gold has risen slightly, silver has quit dropping. From April 2020 to now, the value of Gold is pretty much flat, as it is from Oct 2011, silver has dropped a LOT from its highs, and both are bought and sold in U.S. dollars. With how much the Canadian dollar has strengthened and the current inflation rates, it made the performance of gold and silver even worse. Given what inflation has done the past 24 months, it does not appear that gold is a good store of value to offset inflationary trends. I hope everyone that is sitting on gold and Silver gets a good spike in price over the next few months.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-22-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:54 AM

Gold and silver had the run up in 2020 and it settle back down , in times of war and uncertainties it provides good storage of wealth. Once Biden won the election in November the markets been on a hot streak and all the money printing was flowing into the market
Old 07-20-2022, 07:36 PM

What a sh-tshow it has been! so happy I sold when I did!
Old 07-20-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
What a sh-tshow it has been! so happy I sold when I did!
Interest hike up usually means gold price is going down . Might see 1500 usd by year end. If they keep the rates on schedule.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:40 PM

$23.86 a oz. WOW!