Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 10:13 AM

Default 40 and newly single

Well separation has gone through. Luckily every went quick and civil.

What do you guy suggest for a single 40 year old guy looking for companionship which would slowly lead to a relationship?

Young guys at work want me to get a Tinder account ....oh how times has changed. Especially with Covid.

Looking to slowly dip back into it in the Red Deer area.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:22 AM

Asking these guys?????

Well, allow me some time to grab some treats and a case of beer.....lol

My best advice would be to be yourself and be social. Find one that accepts you for who you are. There is no magic site.

And enjoy this thread. Roll with the comments.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:22 AM

From the stories I've heard from younger guys and 40 year olds at work do yourself a favour and get a tinder account for awhile
Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 AM

I'd take some time to reflect, get a dog.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:35 AM

Default New gal

First accept the fact you are no longer shopping in the show room. Your prospects are in the Used Car lot back of the dealership. Lastly you are also used pick-up truck and not the best buy for the lady.
Most of the 'good ones' have been spoken for and most guys not to interested in giving them up. Happy Hunting!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:45 AM

Be yourself and do not comprise and be something you are not ... as well find a gal from a different town or city cuz if it goes sideways she goes back there ... also, there is going to be a guy or girl who will think they have won the lottery with your X ... you win ...lol
Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 AM

At 40 your shopping opportunities are directly related to the size of your bankroll.

Can't offer more than the joke - Got no real advice, have the same one for 47 years but it will be a fun thread to watch..
Old 10-18-2021, 10:55 AM

How dare you people assume he's looking for a woman.
These are modern times, and love can take many forms.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
First accept the fact you are no longer shopping in the show room. Your prospects are in the Used Car lot back of the dealership. Lastly you are also used pick-up truck and not the best buy for the lady.
Most of the 'good ones' have been spoken for and most guys not to interested in giving them up. Happy Hunting!
But they need lovin' too...Hehe

Be yourself, be patient, and whatever way you choose your mate, you and only you will know after what you are presently going through. Good luck!

42 years for me this year with the vixen...wow time flies by...
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM

It's actually nice to hear you separation has been civil and you both kept a level head. Best advise I can give is Volunteer with organizations you feel strongly about, there will be like minded people and some you may connect with...

Looking for companionship in your forties on dating sites is like visiting the dump and retrieving the least damaged toys.

All the best to you.

Last edited by Sledhead71; 10-18-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'd take some time to reflect, get a dog.
x2. A lot safer.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-18-2021, 10:58 AM

Better start hitting up the benchpress, learn to like mojitos, and maybe pick up a few pool noodles. Just in case.

All the best!
Old 10-18-2021, 11:09 AM

Default Take your time!

Internet dating is fine if you can follow a few of my rules; Be honest, don't lay a hand on any of them unless you are really interested, take you time, there are lots more women at your age than there are suitable men, so you will meet lots and lots.

This isn't a joke but I let my dog pick my present spouse and Sienna has excellent judgement, they (dogs) can see through a fake better that I can. All three of us are very happy.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post

What do you guy suggest for a single 40 year old guy looking for companionship which would slowly lead to a relationship?

Young guys at work want me to get a Tinder account ....oh how times has changed. Especially with Covid.

Theres still plenty of time, your on your first penis as the old guys would say, stay away from them dating sites in my opinion just money grabbers and bars are a no no,go to places where people go to relax,parks,restuarants libraries etc theres lots of fine people out there just like you. good luck on your journey.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:14 AM

More on serious side, take time few years to get your own head/self settled and in a good place. If you are a good dancer, most ladies are impressed by Fred Astair.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:16 AM

More on serious side, take time few years to get your own head/self settled and in a good place. If you are a good dancer, most ladies are impressed by Fred Astair. Lastly give the relationship time, do not jump into marriage on the rebound.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:17 AM

Find out if she has a boat and motor, or if her ex has one that she can get.

All silliness aside, densa44 gave some good advice. You will be popular, take your time, lots of time be respectful and honest with them. Good things will happen. Also get a dog if you can. It's just good to have one, to take on walks and invite one of your pursuits to with you. You can tell tons about how a person treats a dog.

BW
Old 10-18-2021, 11:17 AM

With covid it’s harder.
Lack of social events. Wearing masks in public, etc.
Dating sites have exploded due to covid.
Probably your best option.
If that’s not your thing, join lots of groups and clubs. Voulanteer work is another way to meet people old school way.
Facebook is probably the best way. There are Alberta hiking for singles. Alberta camping for singles, Alberta yadayadayada for singles.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 AM

Join the Red Deer Legion, put on a uniform and volunteer in community, de-clawed cougars will hunt you down ... enjoy.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I'd disagree. The used car lot has a lot of poorly maintained cars. Essentially 20 year old ladas with poor maintenance and a badly repaired accident or 2, that seem to think they're top of the line new Bugattis and want the top of the line Bugatti price. They seem to think that the value of that car increases with age and use.

On the other hand, a guy at 40 if he's in reasonable shape, and has a reasonable paying job, and has a bit of game can easily score with the new showroom (18-24) crowd of girls. If the above prerequisites are met, guys are at peak dating value at 37-55. Scoring in the younger legal range of ladies is a lot easier at that age. Be attractive to a lot of women, date and smash a lot of women, and choose the best one when you're ready to settle for her.

Spend some time listening to Tom Lycus and Rollo Tomassi you youtube. Very counter intuitive to a guy, but women at the opposite of men. They look at things in the opposite way. Example. A guy values a woman's purity, but a girl values a guy's experience with women. So, girls, thinking that men and women want the same things go and sleep around not knowing that men actually value the opposite of what they value. They think that they're making themselves more valuable by sleeping around.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:15 PM

First thing I’d do before looking to settle down long term is lay a lotta pipe.
🤪
Old 10-18-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Join the Red Deer Legion, put on a uniform and volunteer in community, de-clawed cougars will hunt you down ... enjoy.
are they not called Def Leppard's past the best b4 date?
Old 10-18-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post

IMHO, this is the wrong place to look for advice on relationships and love.

But it will be entertaining to see the responses.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:33 PM

Go hunting, fishing. Enjoy. Not sure how long your previous marriage. However takes few years to enjoy being single. Nothing wrong with being single. Say No revenge relationships. You still have many years ahead of you barring sickness, or accidents. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM

Who ever you find, after a bit, make sure to intentionally make her angry kinda early on..is a good
fruitful, worthy task to peek into on what lies behind hidden curtains.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:46 PM

A rule without exception: Stay away from the cat ladies....
Old 10-18-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
A rule without exception: Stay away from the cat ladies....
Any red-blue-green etc dyed hair colorations are an immediate 'proceed with extreme caution'/100%'no-go' for me.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Who ever you find, after a bit, make sure to intentionally make her angry kinda early on..is a good
fruitful, worthy task to peek into on what lies behind hidden curtains.
Lol I agree, lots of crazy out there .
Old 10-18-2021, 12:56 PM

My wife and I met online, there's no shame in us about it.

The good about online dating: You get the first few dates over with through text, before ever meeting in person. Saves you a pile of money, and wasted first dates with non-compatible people.

Give online dating a shot, make an effort - you get out what you put in.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:03 PM

I think the tinder thing is a bit greasy, but nothing wrong with going the online route, maybe just a better site. One with a small fee even I think may have more mature suitable folks looking for more than just a hookup.