Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 11:27 AM

Default folding camp saw

Looking for a light weight option for canoe camping/back packing for a folding bow type saw. (lost my last one on a canoe trip). Came across a company in Ontario called Agawa. I still carry an axe but it's nice to have a saw to cut down larger branches into logs etc.. Had good luck with my last one but like I said somehow I lost it on my last trip.

https://agawagear.com/

Anyone heard of them or use them before? I'd prefer to buy a quality item vs a cheaper made in china product.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:33 AM

I like my Silky.

https://silkysaws.com/

Durable and well-made.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:50 AM

Folding silkys are really nice... depending on how light you want to go I often just bring a bow saw blade with me. I can build a buck saw with sticks in the bush in less than 15 min using the tiny folding saw on my trusty swiss army and a hank of para cord...all I need to pack tennis the blade.....
I have also used the " hand chain saws" a considerable amount....they are not worth the effort lol
Old 10-22-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Looking for a light weight option for canoe camping/back packing for a folding bow type saw. (lost my last one on a canoe trip). Came across a company in Ontario called Agawa. I still carry an axe but it's nice to have a saw to cut down larger branches into logs etc.. Had good luck with my last one but like I said somehow I lost it on my last trip.

Anyone heard of them or use them before? I'd prefer to buy a quality item vs a cheaper made in china product.
I have the "Trailblazer" folding saw and it's super sharp folds down compact. Some of my hunting buddies I wouldn't let use cause they would break it in 2 seconds flat.

Having said that, it's pretty awesome and has what appears to be the same blade as the Agawa. The Agawa looks more durable.

Noticed that (IIRC) Sven saws are back locally (Campers Village). Reason I picked up the Trailblazer not being able to source replacement Sven blades when needed.

None are real durable and fold flat-whatever you buy, pick up a spare blade at the same time.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-22-2021, 12:30 PM

I had an Outdoor Edge that was very light, but it broke on me with fairly limited use/abuse. NFG if it breaks no matter how light it is.

Currently using a Laplander folding saw, so far so good.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:32 PM

I have been using one of these for about 40 years. It has two blades, one for wood, one for bone. Can use it as a meat saw or for bucking firewood. Very light weigh, compact and both blades stores in the long handle so no exposed teeth.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-22-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:50 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-22-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have been using one of these for about 40 years. It has two blades, one for wood, one for bone. Can use it as a meat saw or for bucking firewood. Very light weigh, compact and both blades stores in the long handle so no exposed teeth.

This... really cheap,robust and folds up pretty compact. Carried one on my 4 wheeler for years and used it often until I lent it to my brother and he got it jammed in a log and pried it out with an axe. Haven’t replaced it yet but I will
Old 10-22-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Just watched the Pathfinder review on Agawagear site, guy knows his stuff and rates it as his best pick.

The Sven, and the Trailblazer both have blade tension adjustment (important) which are absent on many of the others.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-22-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
This... really cheap,robust and folds up pretty compact. Carried one on my 4 wheeler for years and used it often until I lent it to my brother and he got it jammed in a log and pried it out with an axe. Haven’t replaced it yet but I will
Same here i have carried 15 years now, mine has 2 wood saws and one bone saw, great saw
Old 10-22-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I had one of these for a few years now. Switched blade to a heavier one. I really like mine, sits easy just about anywhere on my pack, cuts like crazy, and I have never hand a tension problem or blade issue.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:25 PM

Default tried and true

https://svensaw.com

-Confucius
Old 10-22-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:

I have the same one. It's been used, abused, cut firewood and Christmas trees for a few decades. Travels around in my jockey box (do people still call them that?) Still on the same blade!
Old 10-22-2021, 06:14 PM

Default Saw

I had that Coghlans saw back in the late 80’s when I was timber cruising. It was called What-a-saw. Looks exactly the same. We used to choose our pick-up spot for the helicopter from aerial photos the night before. Sometimes they were a little grown in when we arrived at our pre-determined time for the end of day pick up. Lots of scrambling with knives trying to clear the site before the helicopter arrived. That folding saw was a game changer when it came out. Used it for years after that.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm replacing. Was wanting something a bit nicer...
Old 10-22-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Every year, until a couple years ago, our Xmas tree got cut down with the very same saw. I got it from my dad. It zips through small logs pretty good.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
That's what I'm replacing. Was wanting something a bit nicer...
Well, the Sven Saw is very similar and about the same price. I have never used or held one so I can't say it is nicer or better. I do know we tried a number of the folding type saws like Silky and went back to this one. It is hard to find another saw the is excellent as both a meat saw and a wood saw that is this light and compact. Hope you find what you are looking for, post a picture for us. If you get the Agawa, similar design but a lot more money, does have two types of blades available, be interested to know if you think it is enough better to warrant the price and if the two blades are easy to stow in the handle. From the pictures and animation it seems like u can only have wood or meat blade on the saw unlike the Coghlan where you can have up ofour blades in the handle and just choose which you want to use for any job.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-23-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:09 AM

I like the more rectangular shape of that Agawa saw, The triangle shape affects the depth of cut at the tip
Old 10-23-2021, 09:39 AM

Jungleboy, you made my day with the "New Green Chainsaw".
Old 10-23-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
I like my Silky.

https://silkysaws.com/

Durable and well-made.
Agree on the Silky. I also have old one of the coughlans and we used them both this last week extensively. While they both worked, the silky folds and stores much better and is easier to stuff in a pack.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Jungleboy, you made my day with the "New Green Chainsaw".
It’s a gift.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:49 PM

Bought the Agawa 15" for myself a few weeks ago. Didn't receive the meat/bone blade in time to try it on a carcass, but I am very happy with the saw for camp use. Light, sturdy and made in Canada. Good cut depth for such a small saw.

Only change I would suggest is swapping the pins/retaining rings to a small bolt and wing nut, for easy blade changes while you're out
Old 10-24-2021, 11:52 AM

Another vote for the Coghlans saw. The Agawa looks nice but, at three times the price...
Old 11-05-2021, 10:35 AM

I have the Agawa 24" with the dead wood sawblade cant remember the name but it absolutely rips! its a premium price but you get what you pay for and supporting a Canadian company is why I went for it.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:40 PM

Curiously this saw showed up in my FB feed today, after having read this thread...

I've no first-hand feedback on it, but it does note that its made in Canada, so it has that going for it anyways. Oh wait, its the one already mentioned above, so there you have it, 1st -hand feedback!

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...7sxK6FkRIzJF-g