Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 01:49 PM

Default foundation crack

any you guys have experience or recommendations on getting a crack in basement wall repaired from inside by injection ?
Old 10-23-2021, 02:49 PM

Never had it done myself. I fixed the drywall for a lot of people that had it done. Like anything you'll have to find a good contractor. Post your location and someone can recommend a company.
Cheers Leroy
Old 10-23-2021, 03:19 PM

sitka has a epoxy injection kit that does the job. i have seen a set up when the person use a modified paint sprayer that injects the epoxy.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:31 PM

this is in the Edmonton area, I know that is is better to dig it out and repair on the outside but don't really want to bust up the driveway to get at it,
Old 10-23-2021, 07:14 PM

Avanti makes products that are much better and longer lasting than epoxy options. https://www.wateronline.com/doc/injection-resin-0002
Old 10-23-2021, 07:31 PM

How big a crack? Length, width and depth? Fully exposed on the inside?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-23-2021, 07:43 PM

I think epoxy is more for structural issues, this is not structural in any way just hairline that runs diagonally from the corner of a window to footing " very typical location" maybe 6' long fully exposed that just weeps on occasion.
What I'm looking for is some reviews from people who have had it done, was it successful, and possibly some contractor recommendations
Old 10-23-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
any you guys have experience or recommendations on getting a crack in basement wall repaired from inside by injection ?
I recently, after a ton of research, and talking to some structural engineers at work (guys that specifically deal with concrete forming and shoring) and ended up digging up the outside of my house and fixing it properly and here's why ...

- My crack was horizontal which indicates a foundation structural concern

- It had a small amount of leaking in a few areas

- filling a crack from the inside may be ok for hairlines and normal cracks but if the cracks are wet (letting in moisture) you are sealing the water "in" from the inside and when water migrates in from the outside, and stops in the crack, its WORSE (because it has nowhere to push out) when it freezes if you had hydraulic pressure there (water being pushed in) and the damage it does is amplified.

The quote for the inside job ranged from $1800-$4000 but the outside quotes were all around $25-$30K

I bit the bullet and fixed the root cause.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I recently, after a ton of research, and talking to some structural engineers at work (guys that specifically deal with concrete forming and shoring) and ended up digging up the outside of my house and fixing it properly and here's why ...

- filling a crack from the inside may be ok for hairlines and normal cracks but if the cracks are wet (letting in moisture) you are sealing the water "in" from the inside and when water migrates in from the outside, and stops in the crack, its WORSE (because it has nowhere to push out) when it freezes if you had hydraulic pressure there (water being pushed in) and the damage it does is amplified.

The quote for the inside job ranged from $1800-$4000 but the outside quotes were all around $25-$30K

Hope that helps.
Well my friend...I understand why you may have an issue...

OP...sorry I can't help you...had to comment on that one....
Old 10-23-2021, 08:29 PM

it's my understanding that injection process pushes the chosen media through the crack to the outside thus preventing moisture from entering the crack eliminating the hydraulic pressure.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:08 PM

Default Foundation Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
it's my understanding that injection process pushes the chosen media through the crack to the outside thus preventing moisture from entering the crack eliminating the hydraulic pressure.
I have seen work done by Crackmaster Concrete while in Fort Mac. They drill holes along the crack and inject the hydraulic concrete or resin with a high pressure pump. They guarantee that it will not leak along that crack again. They were not cheap - $100 per linear foot of the crack. Seen it done many times and it did work.
They are from Edmonton.
Jerry
Old 10-23-2021, 10:44 PM

I had four vertical cracks in the middle of all 4 walls of 4 level split foundation.

Looked into it all. Had some quotes which all came in ridiculous price. However it is very labour intensive.

I hand dug down 6 feet around all four side.

I V-NOTCHED all exterior and interior cracks with a cement chisel and hammer.

Brushed out debris. Acid etched. Rinsed. Dried then filled inside and outside cracks with Quick Plug cement with silica in it to bind tight. I had a really heavy duty trowel and pushed the cement into the crack as deep as possible past the V. Smoothed the areas but left it more enforced on the exterior with a slight bulge. Then pressure tested after curing by filling holes with water. No leaks.

Final step was I tar painted the exterior around the crack repair. Put a fabric liner over it. Applied thicker tar paint layer to fully seal the area.

Then I backfilled clay along the exterior wall and then the gravels i had dug up.

Followed with re-contouring the ground away from the home.

I did this in 1996. No leaks since. House was sold years later but I sold the home to a buddy and he still owns it.

So whatever I did has stood the test of time.

This stuff

https://www.lowes.ca/product/patchin...ent-5kg-572685

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-23-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Well my friend...I understand why you may have an issue...

OP...sorry I can't help you...had to comment on that one....
I'm glad at least you had a good laugh about it - my laugh cost me $30K and I still had to replace my wooden deck out back and still have to replace my stamped concrete pad they had to cut away - so there's another $15K ...

I will let you know how it goes and then you can laugh again.

I'm sure glad you don't believe in Karma
Old 10-23-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Your story is very correct, i ran into the same problem 25 years ago for around 20 k , dug all around it and fixed it right, wasn't cheap , but i know the house was safe for myself and my family plus for selling since i knew the new owners and i seen them 2 years ago and the place is bone dry. No mold or mildew smell that isn't healthy for anyone. Plus everyone is healthy, all good karma in the long run.

I could have patched it up and took my chances ,but i thought if it wasn't done right i would be a very unhappy new home owner. My integrity would be lost within me if i did harm to a young family bringing up kids or my own family . Never forfeit your character on who you really are over any material things or money, life's to short .

EZM is a very good cool headed person. The dude is solid to the core.

CHEERS
JD

Last edited by JD848; 10-23-2021 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I'm glad at least you had a good laugh about it - my laugh cost me $30K and I still had to replace my wooden deck out back and still have to replace my stamped concrete pad they had to cut away - so there's another $15K ...

I will let you know how it goes and then you can laugh again.

I'm sure glad you don't believe in Karma
Was simply humoring the "bolded" wording that was used. Not your issue.

I would not wish this on anyone, that part is not humorous...

If I hurt your feelings, I apologize...
Old 10-24-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Was simply humoring the "bolded" wording that was used. Not your issue.
I got your joke.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:39 AM

https://nextstar.ca/shop/category.as...repair-kits/2/

I ordered this product several years ago a fixed some foundation cracks myself. It wasn’t hard and it’s worked excellent. I could see where some of the product came right through to the outside of the crack at the top of a pony wall. Of equal importance was to have good grading away from the foundation.

I was going to have a contractor dig around the foundation and repair the cracks from the outside until someone put me onto this product. Saved me a tone of money going this route and no water since.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:13 AM
Banned

Default Hand bombing with a goon spoon

I had that issue with a rubble foundation in a house in Inglewood built in 1904. The lot was sloped back to front and a lot of water had flowed past and against the back corner for who knows how long. I took a similar approach as Sundance Fisher did but I also changed the contour around the house and provided correct drainage to prevent future infiltration. I had no driveway to dig up so my point is in regard to only the water problem.

Free
Old 10-24-2021, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the shout out JD.

That's exactly why I decided to spend the money. My youngest is finishing university next year and my wife and I will be empty nesters at that point and this house is far too big for us two and I'm not patching it knowing it's not fixed properly.

We don't really even use the downstairs at all, it's another living room, bathroom and bedroom that is "extra" and only go down there to utility and storage room really - so could have easily and safely patched it and moved on.

At the end of the day "it's only money" and it hurts to write a check that big, but I will sleep well knowing it's done right and won't impact those who may buy my house in the future.

Last edited by EZM; 10-24-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I got your joke.
I totally missed it. You should know, after all these years by now, I'm not the sharpest stick in the bundle ....

No harm, the tears wiped up easily and a good cry was good for me.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:20 PM

My old ass house aint worth that much.

I had them inject the stuff in several times including in cracks and the snap tie holes that were patched in the old days with a cork it seemed.

No leaks. Probably been 15 years or so
Old 10-24-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the shout out JD.

That's exactly why I decided to spend the money. My youngest is finishing university next year and my wife and I will be empty nesters at that point and this house is far too big for us two and I'm not patching it knowing it's not fixed properly.

We don't really even use the downstairs at all, it's another living room, bathroom and bedroom that is "extra" and only go down there to utility and storage room really - so could have easily and safely patched it and moved on.

At the end of the day "it's only money" and it hurts to write a check that big, but I will sleep well knowing it's done right and won't impact those who may buy my house in the future.

That's the number one rule in my life also, never burn no one. I've had it done to me and i must say i felt like crap ,plus i sleep very well also.

A man can lose his money in life it's not the end of the world.
A man can lose his health to a certain point which is much worst.
But when a man loses his integrity and character then he has lost it all.

Cheers
JD