Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 PM

I think the truck will last fine but I do think these newer vehicles will be serious nickle-&-dimers as they age. All those electronics, sensors, LEDs, etc are just more and more parts and pieces that can and eventually will malfunction or wear out.

Imagine the replacement cost on one of those massive dash screens if they start acting up, or if the electronic gauge cluster wears out, and those parking sensors that have already been around, people will tell you they just become a headache. And what's the cost if one of those new LED headlights dies? I don't even want to know...
Old 04-22-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It depends on what you consider reliable, for some people that means the vehicle always starts and runs, even if it requires numerous repairs, or has features that stop working, for other people, that means that the vehicle only requires oil and filter services, and tires and consumable parts replaced as they wear out, no leaks or failures that require repairs. I have only had four vehicles make it through the warranty period with zero repairs required, three Toyotas, and a Hyundai, every one of my Ford or GM vehicles required repairs.
I've owned 3 VWs and 2 GM trucks. I have never had to call a tow truck. I guess that's my benchmark for reliability.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
I sold F-150's for a couple of years, and just like some of the comments, it's how you take care of it. I've seen trucks with 40,000km that were bagged out and obviously mistreated after a 2-year lease. On the other hand, I've seen properly taken cared of trucks with close to 500,000 in still great condition. I own a '17 F-150 and I take care of it and it still even smells new. Bottom line is if you do proper maintenance and respect your vehicle no matter of the make it should last a long time.

As for the deal you're looking at, it's most likely a super cab 301 package which is an entry-level work truck which is fine if you can live without any bells and whistles.

Reach out if you need any advice on buying!
good luck
Nice to see you back
Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 PM

I have a 2006 F-250 XL with the 6.8L 3V v10. I've owned it for 10 years (it's got just over 300K) and it doesn't owe me one cent. Bought it for $12,000 and other than brakes, filters and fluids, all I've done is cleaned the MAF, replaced battery and the oil temp sensor. I maintain it religiously and wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country.

My only complaint is that if it isn't pulling or hauling weight, it rides a little stiff. This thing likes to work and seems to be happiest at 3000 RPM.

There's a reason why the 6.8L was considered "Ford's best kept secret". I still think about upgrading the truck but then look at what I have for what I need and can't rationalize $40,000+ for a new 3/4 ton.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I'm seeing Ford dealers blowing out 2018s for what Sherwood Ford claims on their website is cost plus GST. True or not, $32k for an F-150 XLT has got me thinking of trading up from my car.

My concern is with all the crazy efficiency-scraping technology they use on these new trucks nowadays that there's so much more to break or wear out. Not just on Fords but the big 3 are all building them like this now.

I'm not asking for reliability stories, there are already a hundred of those threads. How well do you guys think these trucks are gonna hold up in 6, 8 or 10 years?
So how did it go? Did you buy a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Sport with 302A package is my go to. Center console and enough bells and whistles without stepping up to a Lariat

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Nice truck!, same here I did get the moonroof and custom leather as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Nice to see you back
Thx Randy, I lurk once and a while but refrain from posting a lot of the times lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1556090153_tmp_IMG_0699.jpg (63.8 KB, 234 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:02 AM

Hard to imagine NOT being able to make a new full size truck last ten years unless your using it as a truck every day, even then...
Old 04-24-2019, 02:21 AM

That's a sharp-looking truck, Ruger1022!

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Hard to imagine NOT being able to make a new full size truck last ten years unless your using it as a truck every day, even then...
Yup, ten years goes by fast, too...
Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 AM

I had a 2004 GMC Sierra F150, and was a great truck for about ten years; until the engine started on fire and became a write-off. I think they have fixed that problem by now, though.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It all depends on how you use, maintain and take care of it.

If you are in the oilfield, it won't last 10 years.
That there is the simple truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
I have a 2013 F150 ecoboost that has 407000km's that still runs pretty good. I would say it can last if properly maintained.
My 2013 F150 ecoboost only has 150,000 km's on it but it's still in excellent condition. Mechanically, it's perfect. It's a got a few scratches, chips and a door ding in it, but no rust.

I keep it clean and do the proper maintenance. I expect to still be driving it 10 years from now.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 AM
Banned

As others say...depends on how you take care of it.
I have a 2007 Chev Trailblazer with 325000km.
No visible rust, runs as smooth and quiet as anything new.
I wash it regularly, especially during winter, and keep up my regular maintenance.
Would have no qualms heading out to Nova Scotia this afternoon in it.
But I've also seen some that are the same year that are rusting hulks with 1/2 the mileage.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I've owned 3 VWs and 2 GM trucks. I have never had to call a tow truck. I guess that's my benchmark for reliability.
I have never had to call a tow truck either, but I don't consider a vehicle reliable, if the crank seal leaks, or the pinion or axle seals leak, or the 4x4 solenoid won't engage, or the front hubs won't lock, clutch and release bearing fail,or the front seat breaks so I have to prop it up by placing a plastic crate behind it to get it to the dealer, or the gauges stop functioning, heater fan quits,or if I have to get in and out through the passenger door because the driver's side lock can't be released. All of these things happened to my Ford and GM vehicles, before the warranty had even expired. The pinion and axes seals, and the 4x4 solenoid issue happened to multiple GM vehicles. To me, reliable is no parts failures, just routine oil and filter services, tires and consumables.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I have never had to call a tow truck either, but I don't consider a vehicle reliable, if the crank seal leaks, or the pinion or axle seals leak, or the 4x4 solenoid won't engage, or the front hubs won't lock, clutch and release bearing fail,or the front seat breaks so I have to prop it up by placing a plastic crate behind it to get it to the dealer, or the gauges stop functioning, heater fan quits,or if I have to get in and out through the passenger door because the driver's side lock can't be released. All of these things happened to my Ford and GM vehicles, before the warranty had even expired. The pinion and axes seals, and the 4x4 solenoid issue happened to multiple GM vehicles. To me, reliable is no parts failures, just routine oil and filter services, tires and consumables.
Pretty close to my definition of reliable as well.!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:

So Elk hunter what year were these ford and Chevy trucks you had so many issues with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
See and I’ve only owned Fords except for 1 Jeep Cherokee and 2 Toyota cars. I’ve never had any of the issues you mentioned on any of the 7 Fords I’ve owned or the 1 Jeep. The Toyota’s were fine but it was the little stuff like window motors and guides, lock actuators etc... but that was late 80s and one early 90s car.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
So Elk hunter what year were these ford and Chevy trucks you had so many issues with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought them new starting in 1988, and I switched to Toyota in 2007. I have no doubt that the Fort McMurray climate was a factor, yet my Toyotas stood up to -40 to -50 degrees. Our GM company vehicles suffered many of the same issues as my personal vehicles, so the issues with my own vehicles were not isolated instances.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 PM

If a vehicle should happen to remain reliable for 10 years then it seems that it is not behaving as designed.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I bought them new starting in 1988, and I switched to Toyota in 2007. I have no doubt that the Fort McMurray climate was a factor, yet my Toyotas stood up to -40 to -50 degrees. Our GM company vehicles suffered many of the same issues as my personal vehicles, so the issues with my own vehicles were not isolated instances.
So how often do you get your vehicle inspected by a licensed mechanic? If your not getting inspected then how do you know that it doesn't have a worn part somewhere?

I can Google any manufacturer for problems and oil leaks and they all come up with them.

Have some high standards for vehicles. My mothers Toyota would fail horribly. Oil leaks at engine and trans, electrical problems with parts not available , check engine lights . No different than any other manufacturer. Been a good vehicle but not perfect.

I figure most vehicles will give ten years or 300000km with very few problems if maintenance is done. Doesn't matter the manufacturer. Some may have more problems than others but they are mechanical and will break eventually.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
So how often do you get your vehicle inspected by a licensed mechanic? If your not getting inspected then how do you know that it doesn't have a worn part somewhere?

I can Google any manufacturer for problems and oil leaks and they all come up with them.

Have some high standards for vehicles. My mothers Toyota would fail horribly. Oil leaks at engine and trans, electrical problems with parts not available , check engine lights . No different than any other manufacturer. Been a good vehicle but not perfect.

I figure most vehicles will give ten years or 300000km with very few problems if maintenance is done. Doesn't matter the manufacturer. Some may have more problems than others but they are mechanical and will break eventually.
Regardless of the manufacturer, all of my vehicles are serviced at the dealer who does inspections at every oil change, which I have done at the factory recommended intervals.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 AM

Son traded his 2017 in for a GM. he had nothing but problems with it. Door handles on a recall that they could not fix. Transmission problems that GM helped engineer , also they could not fix. My 2013 is a keeper though. Not a single problem at all. I love my ecoboost, high flow air intake and a programer. It would easy beat a hemi in a 1/8 or 1/4 mile now. Not that it was a pig before. Probably dropped a second or more off the 1/4 mile with the two mods.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
Not a chance in hell
Mine is......like anything else in life put the maintenance into it and cross your fingers....my old gmc went 21 years....had a Toyota that went 8 years of pure crap....just depends.

Get what you need that fits your requirements and carry on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-25-2019, 07:18 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I had the same - only got rid of it because my tetanus shot expired.

Oh, and we needed more room for the additional kids over time...

LMAO
Old 04-25-2019, 07:38 AM

Default There is no such thing as trading up anymore.

From what I’ve seen from our fleet vehicles and service trucks as well as people I know with newer vehicles. The complexity has gone up and reliability is at an all time low. For our company trucks we run Fords 150’s and up and are not used and abused. Most of our trucks don’t go more than a kilometre in a day. The most mileage they get is going to town for training or repair, mostly repair.
These new truck generally come new with an engine light on and go down from there.
When my 03 dodge is finally done I will be searching far and wide looking for a used just like it that is worth building back up. I will head to the US if I have to.
I would restore mine except the body got completely destroyed from hail damage a few years ago so I’ll run it until it’s life is done and find another.
I’ve had it for 14 years and been a great truck. I think I could rebuild one from the frame up and It would cost way less than a new truck. I would have a much more reliable vehicle this way.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Owned a 2011 f150 for 8 months. Wasn’t worth the heartache.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Has anyone on her ever done the math to determine the cost of maintenance to follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule.

Seems like a conveniently forgotten expense like interest on a mortgage.

What is the total cost of ownership in real world applications.

Wife's 2007 Honda Fit has cost about 11K in repairs,tires, oil changes and fluids not including recalls since new in fall of 2006.
It has 300,000 km and we budget $30 a week in fuel

Has depreciated about 13k in 13 years
Seems like new trucks depreciate more than that the first year.

Last edited by omega50; 04-25-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 AM

My 11 F150 was very reliable till 120k when I got rid of it.
My 15 Silverado was a complete nightmare,the Chevy shake....multiple lifter and pushrod failures, and a bad tranny that Chev deemed normal.
2 years of Chev telling me its all normal was enuff.
My current F150 with 40k on it has been pretty good,few little issues but a dream to drive compared to the previous Chev.
Some people say Im hard on my trucks....I use it as a truck ffs

Thing is I havent ever owned a vehicle for 10 years and dont plan to.
If I was I think Id look hard at the Tundra....ignore ****ty gas mileage,interiors that are way behind the times,options not available that other brands have.
It hasnt changed much in 10 years so its sorted out....and should be
10 years with any of the other brands....I wouldnt
I also agree that all the electronics on trucks are gonna be a problem later on...and expensive.
Thank god I dont want alot of the electronic doodads
Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Has anyone on her ever done the math to determine the cost of maintenance to follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule.

Seems like a conveniently forgotten expense like interest on a mortgage.

What is the total cost of ownership in real world applications.

Wife's 2007 Honda Fit has cost about 11K in repairs,tires, oil changes and fluids not including recalls since new in fall of 2006.
It has 300,000 km and we budget $30 a week in fuel

Has depreciated about 13k in 13 years
Seems like new trucks depreciate more than that the first year.
My Trailblazer (2007) was paid off in 2014. It now has 325000 kms. Every tax season I average the costs and over the time it's been paid off I've paid an average of $885/yr. This includes regular maintenance and a couple of brake jobs. I've been very lucky that in the last 5 years other than a serpentine belt, a steering rack and a power steering pump nothing has failed.
Plus I deal with a very good independent dealer who charge by the hour, not book rate (meaning you don't get charged a 2hr book rate for something that his mechanic finishes in an hour).
Of course doesn't include gas.
It runs like a charm has no rust and if you work it out on a monthly basis it is $73.75/mo.
I personally don't need to spend an extra $300-$400+ per month just to say my car is shinier than the next guys
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 AM

Everything will last to a certain age as long as you take proper care of it.
That being said, some products, including cars are better than others. That is the hard truth no matter how some guys spin it.

What I find hilarious is the people saying my truck is really good, only had a couple minor issues such as........

To me, and I believe Elkhunter mentioned it too, a reliable vehicle means no problems at all.

For example, my Tacoma, which I bought new is now 6 years old, just passed 140k, and has had literally ZERO issues. No problems, no repairs, nothing.
All it is getting is proper maintenance in the form of timely oil changes with synthetic, tire changes, fluid changes and that's it. I am still on my original brakes and I tow a camping trailer every year multiple times.
The truck has done everything I have ever asked of it and more. I think my truck has done more work and play than half the city princess trucks out there.

I know pricing has gone up over the last few years but when I look at the price I paid for my truck and compare it to a similar domestic for around the same price, a question arises...What does the price difference mean when a mid-size truck from Toyota costs the same as a full size from the big 3??
In my opinion, it's the R&D, quality of parts and overall build quality.

Everyone makes different choices when it comes to vehicles and in no way are they all trouble free, however there are some clear front runners when it comes to reliability and quality and not to mention value retention...
To each their own, I prefer to spend money wisely on a proven, reliable products from Toyota.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
My Trailblazer (2007) was paid off in 2014. It now has 325000 kms. Every tax season I average the costs and over the time it's been paid off I've paid an average of $885/yr. This includes regular maintenance and a couple of brake jobs. I've been very lucky that in the last 5 years other than a serpentine belt, a steering rack and a power steering pump nothing has failed.
Plus I deal with a very good independent dealer who charge by the hour, not book rate (meaning you don't get charged a 2hr book rate for something that his mechanic finishes in an hour).
Of course doesn't include gas.
It runs like a charm has no rust and if you work it out on a monthly basis it is $73.75/mo.
I personally don't need to spend an extra $300-$400+ per month just to say my car is shinier than the next guys
Yup, that's the way try to look at vehicle ownership as well. I expect a vehicle to average $1K in maintenance annually over its lifetime.

Historically I bought older Ford pickups because they were cheaper to buy used on average, and I've become accustomed to working on them. With a Haynes manual and some good googling, I was able to do a lot of the work myself. I had a 2005 that I really loved to drive, spent a fair amount of time and money fixing it, but the purchase price was very low - so on average I did okay with it, and it was a great ride.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
What does the price difference mean when a mid-size truck from Toyota costs the same as a full size from the big 3?? In my opinion, it's the R&D, quality of parts and overall build quality.
I think it means that's what the finance guys feel people will pay for it, and that's it. The Ranger costs more than the F150, the Ridgeline and Gladiator are more than the base F150, both 1500s, Titan, and Tundra, yet I have a suspicious feeling you wouldn't think they are the best trucks offered by those five manufacturers.

Last edited by Trochu; 04-25-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM

I absolutely hate vehicle shopping. Right now I need to start looking for a newer ride, I’ve been driving my truck for the last 17years (360000km) - it’s dependable and I like driving it but it’s really starting to look like hell.
For me the body’s usually rust away before I need to worry about serious mechanical issues. This thread really has me worried - and dreading my next purchase.