Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta5678 View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed the regular season when the first line was dominant. During the latter part of the year, bigger teams were shutting down the top line. From the playoffs so far, the heavy teams are doing well, Treliving should have all the evidence he needs to improve the squad, not an easy task.
A few players specifically stood out to me as playing soft. Monahan could go into the corner with a dozen eggs and come out with 13 unbroken. Jankowski's compete level wasn't there, hopefully they tell him to bulk up in the off season. Koodos to Bennett, a middleweight playing big to keep the Avs defence on edge. Johnny hockey is a true talent, he would benefit from at least one bigger winger that isn't afraid to go in the corners. Neal doesn't have the footspeed, not easy to get rid of his contract. Should be an interesting off season.

Milan Lucic is probably available. Oilers would probably retain half of his salary to boot.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Milan Lucic is probably available. Oilers would probably retain half of his salary to boot.
I wouldn’t take this bum, he isn’t a hockey player. I wouldn’t have taken Neil either. Both those salaries are a waste of money.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You need two smiley faces for suggesting Lucic, I can't see a GM in the league willing to touch his contract.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If a good power forward or even two were added to the lineup, I think would instill some much needed confidence and grit to the whole team. Be nice to see a beast or two on the team next year. The whole team would benefit from it during playoffs.
like micheal ferland?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 PM

I just wanted to forward this. I found it humorous.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Banned

Old 04-21-2019, 11:54 PM
Banned

Apparently I am not the only one who feels this way. The lady sucks at her job.

Sign away, it might help. I blame her for our early Tee times. ;-)
https://www.change.org/p/calgary-fla...623-en-ca%3Av5
Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

I like er.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:03 PM

There were saying on the Radio this morning on my drive to the office, that in the past 12 years the Flames have 384 wins to the Oilers 304.

The Flames have 6 playoff game wins in the same time period and haven't advanced beyond the first round.

The Oilers have 7 playoff game wins and have advanced to the second round once.

Both Alberta Teams suck equally! Just that Calgary sucks more often!

BW
Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
There were saying on the Radio this morning on my drive to the office, that in the past 12 years the Flames have 384 wins to the Oilers 304.

The Flames have 6 playoff game wins in the same time period and haven't advanced beyond the first round.

The Oilers have 7 playoff game wins and have advanced to the second round once.

Both Alberta Teams suck equally! Just that Calgary sucks more often!

BW
Now go back one more year and Edmonton has another 15 playoff wins on top of that. Either way though both teams need to be better in both seasons.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I'm sure that petition is full of intelligent people.

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 04-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddin View Post
I'm sure that petition is full of intelligent people.
Not sure what intelligence has to do with enjoying Cassie Campbell. More than a bit high handed there.......................

Fact is, she is HORRIBLE at her job. Have you ever listened to the crap she spews? She is a embarrassment to her profession and should do the world a favour and and quit. By far and away the absolute 100% worst colour commentator to ever grace the airways here in Canada. I cant come up with one that is worse.

I don't give a crap she can play hockey at a "AAA" midget level or that she did a fine job of representing Canada. Congrats, I can go down the street and find a few other Midget players as well if thats the basis for the job. All of that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to intelligent and interesting commendation.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Gio nominated for the Norris.

Should win it I would think.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM

I am no Flames fan at all but I fully agree on Gio and I am rooting for him.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Gio nominated for the Norris.

Should win it I would think.
He should win it for his regular season play..He pulled a HOUDINI in the playoffs
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Not sure what intelligence has to do with enjoying Cassie Campbell. More than a bit high handed there.......................

Fact is, she is HORRIBLE at her job. Have you ever listened to the crap she spews? She is a embarrassment to her profession and should do the world a favour and and quit. By far and away the absolute 100% worst colour commentator to ever grace the airways here in Canada. I cant come up with one that is worse.

I don't give a crap she can play hockey at a "AAA" midget level or that she did a fine job of representing Canada. Congrats, I can go down the street and find a few other Midget players as well if thats the basis for the job. All of that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to intelligent and interesting commendation.
. I agree ! Asked a guy the other day, why is this person working a playoff game, did someone lose a bet ? She’s brutal.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:04 PM

I see today was final media day and all the clips are on FB, I don't know if I want to watch them or not. Have a feeling it's just going to make me full Hot. Hearing things like We should have done better, There's no excuses.. Umm yeah there is no excuse we choked again, had a deep solid team.
Well folks, I think no matter who you cheer for Oilers or Flames we both deserve better. 2 solid fan bases that deserve some good playoff runs.
Flames are close or I think they are close. Just need to make some tweeks, Other than Tkachuck, I really don't much care who they have to move in order to get the piece were missing.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Goaltending wasn’t the issue. I knew they wouldn’t go anywhere in the playoffs, they don’t have a big rough and tough team. That’s what you need, because when your a smaller team you will get absolutely run over when it starts to get physical and that’s what the playoffs are all about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I think Kassian would be a good fit for the flames.
Don't have to go back that many pages where I said the same things (think I was scoffed at by a couple of the faithfuls actually)....although I far prefer Kass with the oilers.
I'm not the least bit surprised with the results of the first round, said it before, a few times, Flames aren't/weren't a playoff team this year.
Guess there's always next year..for both Alberta teams.
Aside from goaltending, oilers are only 3-4 players away from being there, same goes for flames
Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Don't have to go back that many pages where I said the same things (think I was scoffed at by a couple of the faithfuls actually)....although I far prefer Kass with the oilers.
I'm not the least bit surprised with the results of the first round, said it before, a few times, Flames aren't/weren't a playoff team this year.
Guess there's always next year..for both Alberta teams.
Aside from goaltending, oilers are only 3-4 players away from being there, same goes for flames
I believe I scoffed at that idea for one. I still do. Toughness, physicality, hitting, whatever you want to call it, or lack thereof, wasn't why the Flames lost IMO. Colorado isn't a big physical team which simply overpowered the Flames. Sure, if Kassian laid out MacKinnon every time he touched the puck, that may have helped, but Kassian wouldn't be able to do that because he can't keep up with MacKinnon. If Kassian can; stop Brodie from giving it away, speed up Neal and Jankowski, give strength and desire to Monahan and Johnny, make Chucky show up, make it so when the Dman hit their guy in the corner, he doesn't pop back up and get the puck before the Dman get the puck, make the guys skate faster on puck retrieval as that extra second makes a difference, in general, give the entire team, with the exception of Smith and Bennett, a lot more urgency, and make it so, on a team with five 70+ point guys in the regular season, Bennet isn't the best skater for the series, sign me up. I don't think Kassian can do any of that though, so I'm a bit skeptical.

It's also easy for guys to come in here after the fact and make comments such as "I knew they wouldn’t go anywhere in the playoffs, they don’t have a big rough and tough team." while seeming completely oblivious to the fact one of the biggest, if not the biggest, team in the league was just eliminated in the first round. I don't think it's as simple as signing Kassian and Clutterbuck and calling it a day.

Last edited by Trochu; 04-22-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I believe I scoffed at that idea for one. I still do. Toughness, physicality, hitting, whatever you want to call it, or lack thereof, wasn't why the Flames lost IMO. Colorado isn't a big physical team which simply overpowered the Flames. Sure, if Kassian laid out MacKinnon every time he touched the puck, that may have helped, but Kassian wouldn't be able to do that because he can't keep up with MacKinnon. If Kassian can; stop Brodie from giving it away, speed up Neal and Jankowski, give strength and desire to Monahan and Johnny, make Chucky show up, make it so when the Dman hit their guy in the corner, he doesn't pop back up and get the puck before the Dman get the puck, make the guys skate faster on puck retrieval as that extra second makes a difference, in general, give the entire team, with the exception of Smith and Bennett, a lot more urgency, and make it so, on a team with five 70+ point guys in the regular season, Bennet isn't the best skater for the series, sign me up. I don't think Kassian can do any of that though, so I'm a bit skeptical.

It's also easy for guys to come in here after the fact and make comments such as "I knew they wouldn’t go anywhere in the playoffs, they don’t have a big rough and tough team." while seeming completely oblivious to the fact one of the biggest, if not the biggest, team in the league was just eliminated in the first round. I don't think it's as simple as signing Kassian and Clutterbuck and calling it a day.
I said before the playoffs started that the flames weren’t going anywhere as they are a small team and the small guys just can’t take the hitting. Where was Monaghan in the corners, oh yea he was no existent. You’ll get over the fact that the flames are done.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

Bingo....

I found us very streaky through the year. JG was trying his heart out but what about the other 2? It seems that whole line took a permanent vacation after the All star break. Sure the team had some streaks in there but that was when the 4th line was lighting it up. This had nothing really to do with size, it had to do with learning how to win. I really thought Monahan was hurt. He said he wasn't, so???

What ever the actual issue was, it will be addressed. Our GM doesn't sit on his hands, that is one thing I really do appreciate about him. Interesting that Frolik was trade bait. I doubt he is here for next year. Between trade bait and a mouthy agent we don't need him.

Sooooo, How would Stone have looked in a Flames uniform? I was 1000000% right about that. A real shame we didn't get him.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I said before the playoffs started that the flames weren’t going anywhere as they are a small team and the small guys just can’t take the hitting. Where was Monaghan in the corners, oh yea he was no existent. You’ll get over the fact that the flames are done.
Whats the post number? I don't recall you posting in here at all until after they lost...

I'll try again. Winnipeg, one of the biggest, if not the biggest, team in the leauge is out, had one more game than the Flames. The Avalanche aren't a big, physical team, that isn't why they won. Calgary outhit Colorado 181 vs 146 in the series. Also, the Flames are arguably bigger than Colorado. So no, the reason they lost isn't because the bigger, more physical Flames can't take the hitting. Really, your go to for a small player on the Flames is Monahan? There are what, 4 or 5 Avalanche players who are bigger than he is.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Flames never got out hit, they got out worked. I don't ever recall watching any of that round and thought, damn they beat the hell out of us. Kassian couldn't have done Shizz, he can't hit what he cant catch, and trust me he would have caught MacKinnon. Is Monahans job to go out and hit people? I don't think so.
Are McLovin and Dri paid to go into corners and crush people??
Do you think the key to winning a cup is loading your team with guys like Lucic and Kassian??? Just smash people.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Bingo....

I found us very streaky through the year. JG was trying his heart out but what about the other 2? It seems that whole line took a permanent vacation after the All star break. Sure the team had some streaks in there but that was when the 4th line was lighting it up. This had nothing really to do with size, it had to do with learning how to win. I really thought Monahan was hurt. He said he wasn't, so???

What ever the actual issue was, it will be addressed. Our GM doesn't sit on his hands, that is one thing I really do appreciate about him. Interesting that Frolik was trade bait. I doubt he is here for next year. Between trade bait and a mouthy agent we don't need him.

Sooooo, How would Stone have looked in a Flames uniform? I was 1000000% right about that. A real shame we didn't get him.
You see Tre presser today?? HE said we won't be skating the same team next season. He is smart, he know's what needs to be tweeked.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
You see Tre presser today?? HE said we won't be skating the same team next season. He is smart, he know's what needs to be tweeked.
Top GM for sure. Glad he didn't blame it on the water.......
Old 04-26-2019, 09:17 PM

Did quite a bit of driving today, listen to 960 for most of it, and had a thought. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but is Peters causing reason for concern? He coached in Carolina for four years and didn't make the playoffs once. He resigns and Rod Brind'Amour steps in, has arguably a worse team than Peters did last year, and they are undefeated in the second round so far. Peters has the second best team in the league, and gets one win in the first round.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:29 PM

Peters was out-coached IMO. He's smart though, he will adjust next year.

Best way to combat McKinnon speed, back pressure from forwards, D-man hit him, stand him up at blue-line, or at least force him wide. Calgary D backing into the goalie gave Colorado all the zone entry & time they wished.

Colorado always had the puck, Flames game Reg season was based on possession, high Corsi #'s etc. Didn't happen in five games.

Line-matching against Co top line to a fault, played Co game instead of Flames game.

Too stubborn to play Valimaki or sit Neal sooner. Clearly wasn't ever going well, he was in denial like the players.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-27-2019, 05:08 AM

I think the problem with Calgary was they were too focused on winning the Conference?

They either ran out of gas or lost motivation?

Colorado got hammered by Sharks so they really weren't playing all that well....it's just that Calgary totally collapsed?

They seem to be lacking some grit as well.

They don't have an Iginla or McDonald as a leader either.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Did quite a bit of driving today, listen to 960 for most of it, and had a thought. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but is Peters causing reason for concern? He coached in Carolina for four years and didn't make the playoffs once. He resigns and Rod Brind'Amour steps in, has arguably a worse team than Peters did last year, and they are undefeated in the second round so far. Peters has the second best team in the league, and gets one win in the first round.
Never thought of this but good points. I know he did say in one interview in hind sight he would have done some things different. All part of learning and never being there before. I think he is a good coach and will adapt, but will see what next season brings us.
As far as players , they need to realize they don't hand the cup out in April and they need to play till the end, not just the regular season.. We always come out flat in playoffs. So annoying..
Was it just me or did that Avs on the ice last night not look like the same Avs we played?? Again is it the problem with to long of a break between games that does it? Sharks still in game mode having played a couple nights ago?
Makar though he looks great out there, kids got drive man, looks like a seasoned player..
Old 04-27-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Goaltending is the difference with Carolina. Peters coached the Flames to number 1 in the west. Players not willing to step it up in the playoffs is not the coaches fault. If Cam Ward was the flames goalie they wouldn’t be in the playoffs either.