Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Can a doctor check you for liver function to see if there is a need for the supplement?

My doc said Keto is fine. I had a blood baseline before and doing another during.

Blood pressure down. Weight down 29 pounds in 9 weeks. Down 5 belt holes. Needed to put another hole in. Now pants are too baggy but I will wear them till they are holy then down to the new size.

What started me was purely this thread. What made me keep it up was a combination of my scientific thinking. Does it work or just fake news? Then...Amazement as the pounds came off while still eating every day to be full.

Wife wouldn’t believe it if she didn’t see it.

Was 250. Now 221. Goal was 225. New goal 200.

For those wondering what a typical days meal is.

Breaky. 2 eggs and bacon or ham or a three egg omelette.

Lunch. Salad with 2 hard boiled eggs. Vinegrette on the salad and two pieces of pork or chicken or turkey.

Dinner. Half plate of salad with carb free dressing like bacon ranch. 1/4 plate meat chicken fish steak. 1/4 plate fatty stuff like cheese plus take into account salad dressing and meat fat. If not much fat I whip up a 1/4 cup sugar free 35% cream with a handful mixed berries like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries.

I am NEVER hungry. But I drink a ton of water.

Snack. Bacon or salad
There is probably no need for the supplement choline in my case. My last physical done about six months ago showed a slight number off in my liver and I did tell the doc I had four beers the night before. He said that is probably enough to throw it off a bit. I don’t think cannabis has any effect on the liver but I also had enough in my system to knock a camel over.
I like a couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast too!
I’m up at 5:00am to run my dog then have breakfast. My main food source for breakfast right now is chicken breast and mixed vegetables with rice/franks red hot. I wait a half hour then pop two purple K supplements along with a smoothie. A half hour after the Purple K kicks in with explosive energy I pump iron until 10:30 am I’m usually starving again by 11:00am. I pop two more purple K’s take a break then hit the cardio hard around 12:30 then run my dog again. I usually don’t eat after breakfast until about 6:00pm but I do usually whip up another smoothie using three bananas, strawberries, broccoli Vega protein powder and a scoop of peanut butter or what ever else is kicking around like spinach, carrots, apples etc. Supper is usually light. Tonight I had a whole Costco pack of salad. The Purple K is a Creatine supplement that has properly balanced ph so it is absorbed by the body better. Basically a nitro boost. My weight hasn’t changed all week at 175.6lbs but I’m also gaining muscle like crazy.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:14 AM

Day 401 and just love this WOE

Made this the other night, chocolate peanut butter cheesecake w/tosated pecans. Only 2 net carbs per slice!

Over 105lbs lost so far and feel better than anytime in my life!

Keto On!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Day 401 and just love this WOE

Made this the other night, chocolate peanut butter cheesecake w/tosated pecans. Only 2 net carbs per slice!

Over 105lbs lost so far and feel better than anytime in my life!

Keto On!

Cheers,

Scott.
Yeak ok looks good. Recipe please!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Here ya go!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Thanks I think I met just have to try to make that for Easter
Old 04-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Default I’m in...

Started yesterday. Going at it hard for first couple weeks, exercise included.
Can’t wait to see the results.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Here ya go!

Cheers,

Scott.
Thank you
Old 04-18-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
You have good and bad cholesterol. This explains a bit about keto and cholesterol

https://www.ruled.me/the-ketogenic-d...d-cholesterol/

Also the biggest misconception on Keto is you have to stuff your face with fat.

No you do not, fat is a lever to help you feel satiated. People go to the Keto Gains website and use the macro calculator. https://www.ketogains.com/calculator/

This Dr is by far one of the better ones to follow.
https://www.facebook.com/kendberry.m...y_drg7PR77czaU

Here is one of the better groups to follow.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1901906003411152/
I use some macro calculator for keto that shows a fat target of 70%.
I found it a bit extreme for me personally. some other calculators like nutrita give you some food equivalent for your macros https://nutrita.app/macro-calculator
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 AM

I commend all of you for taking charge and being empowered to do this. Our bodies are our only true homes and their is no escaping it. Hopefully this thread will help others to cultivate discipline. Screw motivation. Motivation is a fleeting emotion. It’s all about being disciplined. Kudos to those that also started working out during this journey. This is exciting empowering stuff...
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
What started me was purely this thread.
Exactly the same for me.
I quit smoking 3 years ago and 25lbs leaped onto me from somewhere. I didn't really seem to eat any more than before, but the pounds kept adding up until I reached 235lbs. At 6'2" I wasn't obese, but way heavier than I ever envisioned myself. Especially since I was in really good shape until my mid 30's.
On Valentines day I committed to cut out 90% of my pop consumption and in a month I dropped 8 pounds. But then I read this thread, and all of the awesome success stories, and was intrigued. Research showed so many other major health benefits that it was pretty hard not to jump on the Keto bandwagon, even just for the weight loss alone.
Now, hovering at 213 lbs and feeling as good as in my 30's, I can't thank you guys enough. Just can't ever imagine crushing half a pizza and 2 cans of Pepsi ever again.
I've even got my wife and kids starting to eat in a high fat/low carb style (though not full Keto).
I figured I'd pass on some things that have really helped me.

This is the website I used to calculate my intake values. I am on a 30% deficit and honestly, it was very easy to stay under my calorie intake on most days.
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy

This is the best app I found to plan and log my meals. Tons of user-entered foods (double check some of them though!) Great for letting you know your intake and track your Macros. I use it to plan my next days' meals. LOVE the bar code scanner!
https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
I use it, but refuse to buy it and give them a nickle because it's Under Armour. lol

A very good source for information, recipes, and other links.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101

This Keto bread recipe has been a God-send for me as I don't have a lot of spare time on any given day. I also add a TBSP of coconut oil to get the fat content up and thin it out a bit. Add 30 seconds to the cook time if you do this.
https://gimmedelicious.com/2018/04/0...nd-keto-bread/

If you crave something sweet at the end of a meal these are ultra fantastic and super easy to make. The almond butter option is much better. I also poured mine into a silicone-bottomed ice-cube tray which worked awesome. I usually add a bit more salt and a bit more Stevia. Makes about 50 pcs in my tray.
https://realbalanced.com/recipe/fudge-fat-bombs/

These affordable little guys really help affirm where you're at.
https://www.amazon.ca/Urine-Ketone-S...-1-spons&psc=1

Thanks again guys, and congratulations to all of you reaching your health goals!

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 04-19-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Default Keto

This site inspired me to do something about my weight and I did.Started Feb 2 at 253 lbs and this morning I broke the plateau. 199 lbs heading for 185 or 190 never felt better.Getting rid of the carbs sure is a body refresher.The best thing I did was purchase carb manager for twenty nine bucks.It sure helps when you are carb counting.After time that craving goes away.Once your body eats up all those carbs and starts on the fat the weight just drops off.I never enjoyed water as much as I do now.I drink about 8 liters a day and noticed I’m tapering off my water craving.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
This site inspired me to do something about my weight and I did.Started Feb 2 at 253 lbs and this morning I broke the plateau. 199 lbs heading for 185 or 190 never felt better.Getting rid of the carbs sure is a body refresher.The best thing I did was purchase carb manager for twenty nine bucks.It sure helps when you are carb counting.After time that craving goes away.Once your body eats up all those carbs and starts on the fat the weight just drops off.I never enjoyed water as much as I do now.I drink about 8 liters a day and noticed I’m tapering off my water craving.
50 pounds since this past February??? Wow... just wow.. congrats!!!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Sports drinks

Every once in a while I like a a bit of power aid zero or Gatorade zero.in power aid all I can find is strawberry and mixed fruit.In Gatorade I found orange and that’s all was hoping to find some lemon or lime flavors.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 PM

So you can’t drink whiskey or scotch on this new fad? That’s gonna be a hard pass.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 PM

Whiskey is fine just have to watch your mix but not sure about scotch
Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 AM

I last posted on here 12 days ago dropping 39lbs since January 16th. It was only a few days later I hit 215. That’s a full 40 lbs. so far! Probably a little more now.

Pretty incredible stuff I have to say.
I’ve added a few more exercises to my weight lifting routine in the last week and a half, been biking almost daily and lined up a jogging partner to start next week. I’m aiming to be around 200 by mid May or at least under 210. Fingers crossed!
I’m going to be transitioning to a low carb diet soon. And see if that allows me to keep losing but just at a slower pace.

I have my own motivations for getting in shape, and a number of reasons that should have been motivating enough, but keep posting on here guys. I find when I check in once and a while and read about all your successes it really helps give me a little kick in the rear.
Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

These affordable little guys really help affirm where you're at.
https://www.amazon.ca/Urine-Ketone-S...-1-spons&psc=1

Thanks again guys, and congratulations to all of you reaching your health goals!
Just my .02c. about those strips. They show the ketone content of your urine, meaning unused, the ones buddy getting rid of. As ones buddy becomes more day adapted you'll notice this strips show less and less ketones. Doesn't mean you are out of ketosis, it means your body is better at using fat for fuel. If you still want to test the ketones at this point you need the blood tester.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 AM

Bottomed our for a few days now.

Had a two day break with turkey stuffing and gravy and starting again.

Wife says since being on the diet my snoring has stopped.

Extra bonus for anyone else?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Just my .02c. about those strips. They show the ketone content of your urine, meaning unused, the ones buddy getting rid of. As ones buddy becomes more day adapted you'll notice this strips show less and less ketones. Doesn't mean you are out of ketosis, it means your body is better at using fat for fuel. If you still want to test the ketones at this point you need the blood tester.
Very true.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Bottomed our for a few days now.

Had a two day break with turkey stuffing and gravy and starting again.

Wife says since being on the diet my snoring has stopped.

Extra bonus for anyone else?
Way less gassy and bloated
Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 AM

what is a good website to go to, to learn about Keto? Im 46 and 255 lbs and I need to lose some weight. My big problems are I FKIN LOVE BREAD, bread and BEEEEEEER..... MMMMMMM beer. I don't know how I will fair on this diet... I am not a huge veggie lover either... that's what my food eats. Any advice?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:33 PM

Well been some time time since I last posted.

Started hard February 1, and up to date, I am down 30 lbs.

I went hard for two months, now just enjoying the clean eating.
I don't have a huge I gotta eat everything on the table, just have a small meal, and full. A ton of water every day, which is good, vitamins, exercise and this old boy feels 15 years younger.

Good stuff everyone, congrats to all.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyisit73 View Post
what is a good website to go to, to learn about Keto? Im 46 and 255 lbs and I need to lose some weight. My big problems are I FKIN LOVE BREAD, bread and BEEEEEEER..... MMMMMMM beer. I don't know how I will fair on this diet... I am not a huge veggie lover either... that's what my food eats. Any advice?
I was about 250 - three, four weeks ago. Don't know where I am at now but I will soon have to bring out the old jeans that were just a wee bit too tight..... ok they wouldn't go up over my legs... and I have to punch a new hole in my belt. The hard part is what to do for lunch at work? I have a bunch of homemade Pastrami and Montreal Smoked beef in the freezer that I was supposed to take in sandwiches for lunch! Dang. Still crave one of those sandwiches but the bread was bothering me - more so than I knew at the time. I was having troubles with my stomach, that has cleared up since stopping all flour. If you are on facebook there is at least one Keto group to get info from, other than that my gf googles all we need to know.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You could also check out intermittent fasting. More leanient in foods but you eat all your food in an 8 hour window.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:02 PM

thanks guys... I don't do fb, but my wife does. I'll get her to look, and I'll look into that other group Moose...
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have an excellent keto bread recipe...100% FORGET about beer and choose a hard liquor to put over ice or with water or with soda water.

The website I use is https://www.dietdoctor.com/
Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
So you can’t drink whiskey or scotch on this new fad? That’s gonna be a hard pass.
YES you can drink whiskey and scotch on Keto Only use ice/water/soda water/diet tonic water as a mix.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
YES you can drink whiskey and scotch on Keto Only use ice/water/soda water/diet tonic water as a mix.
Oh good! I was getting worried there for a minute.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:34 PM

As for beer, Ive been drinking Michelob Ultra and they are similar to a Bud Light in taste I find but only 2.6 gr of carbs per beer, Bud Light is 6.6 I believe. I have also went to Vodka and soda water or whiskey and water. I know from the headache I had on Sunday morning that they still have the same effect... LOL
I have introduced Intermittent fasting as well as mostly only eating once a day or at least in a small eating frequency window. Gout is gone, heartburn is gone, gassy bloaty feeling is gone. stiffness/soreness/tiredness is gone. I feel so much better, down 24lbs.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Banned

If you are trying to keep in KETO 20 grams of net carbs. 2.6 grams in 1 beer is 10% of net carbs( who has only 1 beer) You can choose to EAT your carbs or you can choose to DRINK your carbs