Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Boeing 737 Max 8

So who would fly on one of these today?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:44 AM

I did yesterday, now in Waikiki, 28c today, ride was fine.

I will be in 9 days...

I am a little skeptical at the reluctance to ground them by Canada. I haven't flown in a long time but if I had to, would think twice about getting on one until after the two investigations are done.

For those who fly, can you find out what plane your scheduled to fly on and change your tickets to avoid that model?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
For those who fly, can you find out what plane your scheduled to fly on and change your tickets to avoid that model?
You can try, but the reality of it is, they can change planes right before the flight and I don't believe they are required to tell you.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM

I guess the question is irrelevant right now because just after I posted this thread Canada has banned all flights of this plane in, out, and across the country.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I guess the question is irrelevant right now because just after I posted this thread Canada has banned all flights of this plane in, out, and across the country.
wow that is significant. I'm hoping they can figure it out and correct it asap. Pretty crazy stuff
Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Flew in one on thursday to Cancun on WestJet.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM

Just watched a live feed with Garneau. Canada has grounded all 737 Max8's. Oh sorry I see it's already posted.

Apparently the US has not yet grounded them.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM

I probably would not, but I'm a little paranoid about flying, so I'm blaming my reluctance on that.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM

I flew on one two weeks ago, would get on one today if I had the opportunity.
JH
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM

I was on 4 of them with my last trip to USVI. I remember thinking “Hmm. These Max 8’s are much more comfortable than the old 737”.

I guess comfort doesn’t mean much if they aren’t safe.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 AM

By that logic, why didn't they ground all Boeing 777-200ER until we find out what happened to MH370?

Why not ground all commercial flights until they figure out how to prevent pilots/ copilots from committing mass homicide-suicide?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Canada finally made the right move. Nothing like being the last in line to see the writing on the wall. The U.S. won't ground them because Boeing has to big a Washington lobby. Boeing shares are off 20% for a damn good reason.

I have no fear of flying but I am also not suicidal. I would not fly on one of the new 737s. I won't fly on one even when they come back into service, at least till they establish a better track record or prove it wasn't failures of the plane or controls that caused these two crashes.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Flying Sunwing in the next little while, but they've taken theirs out of service. Sounds like the new engines changed the center of gravity to the point it wants to make the nose point down, for which Boeing applied a software fix, which is having problems and the pilots are confused , dealing with it. Lot of planes in the air that couldn't stay there without computer control. Trump is right, maybe airplanes are just becoming to complicated ?

Grizz
Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
So who would fly on one of these today?

I asked my wife this very question yesterday and she said "she wasn't sure".

Wrong answer I replied-when pilots of this plane are complaining about issues, then Boeing etc need to ground them until the picture is crystal clear.

Heard today that a "software update" for the Max 8 was delayed because of Trumps government shutdown.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-13-2019, 12:17 PM

I wouldn't get on one with my own choice, even work has decided to pull all flights that use the MAX aircraft. Apparently when boeing redesigned it they put larger engines on it, and had to shift them forward to fit them.. this causes the air-plains wings to cause less lift at low speeds and can cause a stall. I was also reading that the stall indicators dont work like they used to so pilots might not notice they are in a stall before its too late to get speed back up.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 PM

The way I would look at is, the pilot and crew knows a lot more than I do, if they're in I'm in.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Banned

Well..it's a moot point now. Canada just joined the list of countries grounding their 737-Max 8's.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Well..it's a moot point now. Canada just joined the list of countries grounding their 737-Max 8's.

Trump just announced Max 8 & 9s are grounded in the US also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Banned

Boeing stock taking a hit.. Perhaps time to buy??
Boeing isnt going anyplace and this issue will be fixed.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I would not be buying Boeing for quite a while yet. They are down 20%, so almost 30 billion in the value of their market cap and I think they are a long ways from bottom yet.

If the crashes are a plane defect Boeing is going to pay out Billions in damages, not to mention the 4,500 Max 8 planes on order probably won't be delivered any time soon. This would have a BIG impact on their revenue stream and profitability. I would watch this stock until I was very sure of the outcome on these two crashes and what happens to the order stream on the Max 8 planes.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:12 PM

This is going to get very interesting.
Government against their lobbyists.

Stastically, they (Boeing, US government, FAA) know exactly if there is a problem or not. I’m sure probability on a large plane has to be less than six sigma.

Our Transport minister retracted his affirmation.

Now pilots are saying the flight manuals are “criminally” deficient.

Goes to show how powerful news can be.

Would I cancel a trip? No.
Do I think they should be grounded? Not enough information
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
I wouldn't get on one with my own choice, even work has decided to pull all flights that use the MAX aircraft. Apparently when boeing redesigned it they put larger engines on it, and had to shift them forward to fit them.. this causes the air-plains wings to cause less lift at low speeds and can cause a stall. I was also reading that the stall indicators dont work like they used to so pilots might not notice they are in a stall before its too late to get speed back up.
I also read the anti-stall system is only fed by one sensor without redundancy. Seems like boeing treated this whole issue as an afterthought rather than a major design and operating system risk. My guess is a forensic audit will show all kinds of executive pressure to find a quick fix to keep things on schedule no matter what.

I'd hold off buying boeing stock. Legal ramifications could be staggering. Think of how many billions in plane hardware is just sitting on the tarmac not making money for who knows how long.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Canada finally made the right move. Nothing like being the last in line to see the writing on the wall. The U.S. won't ground them because Boeing has to big a Washington lobby. Boeing shares are off 20% for a damn good reason.

I have no fear of flying but I am also not suicidal. I would not fly on one of the new 737s. I won't fly on one even when they come back into service, at least till they establish a better track record or prove it wasn't failures of the plane or controls that caused these two crashes.
Wrong!So much for the U.S. not grounding these planes. Another internet expert who apparently thinks he know's everything.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Wrong!So much for the U.S. not grounding these planes. Another internet expert who apparently thinks he know's everything.
Want to take any bets on Boeing now having info that pretty clearly puts the blame on a problem with the equipment or at a minimum their high priced PR firm told them not grounding the U.S. planes when the rest of the world has, was going to be a loosing hand no matter what the issue eventually turns out to be.

Quote:
In a statement, Boeing said it "continues to have full confidence in the safety of the 737 MAX." The company added that it had decided "out of an abundance of caution and in order to reassure the flying public of the aircraft's safety — to recommend to the FAA the temporary suspension of operations of the entire global fleet of 371 737 MAX aircraft."

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg said the company was "supporting this proactive step out of an abundance of caution."

Associated Press writers Deb Riechmann and Kevin Freking contributed to this report.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The way I would look at is, the pilot and crew knows a lot more than I do, if they're in I'm in.
Nope....buddy might be in dept up to his ears and needs to fly.....these jets are grounded for are flight investigation as they should be.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Two crashes in how many flights and air miles (apparently they have logged 250,000+ hrs so far*)?......I'm thinking that it is a safe design, but may have a problem that needs fixing. I haven't heard anything about pilots claiming it is inherently unsafe, but that there were 5 whole complaints logged by pilots. OK, fair enough. Fix the problem....or turn the system off and fly manually. Pilots are still trained for that.

*I am going to see if I can find the link for where I read that this morning, think it was Financial Post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I am waiting to see how low it goes. And then I may grab some stock. Boeing isn't going anywhere.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
By that logic, why didn't they ground all Boeing 777-200ER until we find out what happened to MH370?

Why not ground all commercial flights until they figure out how to prevent pilots/ copilots from committing mass homicide-suicide?
Word is the plane did exactly the same thing before crashing as Lion Air crash. Statistically it points to a flaw that needs to be understood. Understanding two pilots came forward to state they each had the plane suddenly dive when under auto pilot.

Erring on the side of caution seems reasonable. To me it sounds like software issues.

Other problem supposedly being fixed with a software fix is the faulty airspeed issue.

Problem now is the plane flies itself more than a pilot flying the plane.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Word is the plane did exactly the same thing before crashing as Lion Air crash. Statistically it points to a flaw that needs to be understood. Understanding two pilots came forward to state they each had the plane suddenly dive when under auto pilot.

Erring on the side of caution seems reasonable. To me it sounds like software issues.

Other problem supposedly being fixed with a software fix is the faulty airspeed issue.

Problem now is the plane flies itself more than a pilot flying the plane.

It flew 6 hours south to the Indian Ocean and the only piece of wreckage found incidates that it was "landed" onto the ocean, as the flaperon was extended and there was no floating debris, so it was likely ditched as slow as possible so it'd be as close to one piece as possible.

I trust the planes more than the pilots.