Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 06:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
You guys have been a ton of help, thanks a bunch. Since I didnt pick the Can Am up yesterday, I was able to call the dealer and switch the paperwork back to the Honda. My original feelings were that the Hondas were the best option for me since I operate in a real remote area and reliability means more than anything else. So it will cost me a bit more but I feel better about the decision.
NICE....you sir given remote area and trouble will sneak up so you want the best chances to get out and that is through reliability....many other run other machines but broken down is a tow by a buddy and loaded up off to,the dealer etc with little to no inconvenience that may be detrimental to your life...good choice.
Congrats on the purchase....

image.jpg

-25 out and bringing home the groceries

Oh and it's 14 years young.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
You guys have been a ton of help, thanks a bunch. Since I didnt pick the Can Am up yesterday, I was able to call the dealer and switch the paperwork back to the Honda. My original feelings were that the Hondas were the best option for me since I operate in a real remote area and reliability means more than anything else. So it will cost me a bit more but I feel better about the decision.

Honda Foreman 500 owner here
Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:

You will probably never really know just how good a decision you just made. You have to own a Can am to truly appreciate the difference in reliability. The 2019 TRX420, foot shift, solid rear axle are on for 6999 plus GST at Riverside in St Albert and they have a $500 rebate off that price on them. You still need a winch etc but it should come out pretty close to your original quote. The Auto version with IRS is closer to 10,000, so there is quite a jump to get the auto and Independent Rear Suspension. All in, if reliability was key, the solid rear axle and foot shift would be my choice, it is what I am running now in a 400 series.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Yes go with the solid axle foot shifter (FM model). And tell them to throw the winch in for free, let us know how you end up.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You will probably never really know just how good a decision you just made. You have to own a Can am to truly appreciate the difference in reliability. The 2019 TRX420, foot shift, solid rear axle are on for 6999 plus GST at Riverside in St Albert and they have a $500 rebate off that price on them. You still need a winch etc but it should come out pretty close to your original quote. The Auto version with IRS is closer to 10,000, so there is quite a jump to get the auto and Independent Rear Suspension. All in, if reliability was key, the solid rear axle and foot shift would be my choice, it is what I am running now in a 400 series.
OK, now I want to go out and buy one!

We have used the smaller TRXs in moose camp for many years, and I have to say, they are reliable and get the job done.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:23 AM

2003 Honda TRX 350 Rancher ES here...

Love my Rancher for putting around the bush. It’s by far not the sportiest quad out there but knock on wood it has not had one thing go wrong with it...
Old 04-11-2019, 11:50 AM

I've got a 2009 420 4x4 with power steering and elec shift.
I would buy another one in a heartbeat...but would ensure I get independent rear suspension.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Go with your gut

I think your beliefs have been correct.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/atvs/

I can post countless links all saying the same thing but I hurt some feelings last time I did that
Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/atvs/

I can post countless links all saying the same thing but I hurt some feelings last time I did that
Please...dummy it down for me. I don’t have the time to wade through 1000 consumer reviews to try and figure out which Atv is the best..
Old 04-12-2019, 05:39 AM

Yesterday, my buddy and I were fishing Lake of the Woods getting around on his 2007 Rubicon with over 9000km, it’s had a hard life, but it’s still dependable. A little clean up and new seat it would look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Mud lites

Quote:
Threw on mud lites too
Fronts are 25X10-12
Backs are 25X12-11
A comalong and thirty feet of tow strap in back carrier.....just in case....winches get crap stuck on'em etc I found out over time and can draw the last of a battery when it really sucks out....and that's when you need it the most so went the other route plus this set up is versatile elsewhere when say working on a moose on your own etc....food for thought.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-12-2019, 06:55 AM

A neighbour of mine had a Foreman with over 50,000 kms on it and three teenage sons that bagged it around the ranch every day for years.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
A neighbour of mine had a Foreman with over 50,000 kms on it and three teenage sons that bagged it around the ranch every day for years.
That's a ton of Miles he must have rode it 24/7 I've had mine 19 years and only have 7000 k on it and I ride it lots used it for guiding

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk