Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Default 5.56 in Weatherby 223?

So I picked up my first rifle last night and I was doing some reading on it. It's a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 223 and I've read in multiple places that you can shoot 5.56 out of this gun as well?

Has anybody tested this in the real world?

(I've tried using the search function but I couldn't find anything, so apologies if this has been covered before)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi View Post
So I picked up my first rifle last night and I was doing some reading on it. It's a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 223 and I've read in multiple places that you can shoot 5.56 out of this gun as well?

Has anybody tested this in the real world?

(I've tried using the search function but I couldn't find anything, so apologies if this has been covered before)
Yes I have and yes you can. It is exactly the same stuff for all intents and purposes. Only thing is 5.56 brass, like all military brass, is usually a little thicker so if you are re loading it start low and work up, usually holds less powder and has less room so builds pressure a little faster.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yes I have and yes you can. It is exactly the same stuff for all intents and purposes. Only thing is 5.56 brass, like all military brass, is usually a little thicker so if you are re loading it start low and work up, usually holds less powder and has less room so builds pressure a little faster.
That's awesome to hear, although now that I'm looking on Cabela's I see they are slim pickings for the 5.56 and even the .223 hollow points. Appreciate the input!
Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 AM

One thing that I have noticed, is that accuracy is typically not good with the FMJ 5.56 loads.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
One thing that I have noticed, is that accuracy is typically not good with the FMJ 5.56 loads.
True, made for spray and pray with AR type rifles. I weighed the bullets in a bunch of Remington and UMC FMJ, hell of a big variance. Supposed to be 55 grain, were anywhere from 48 to 63. Powder weight was real close so issue seems to be the crap bullets. I pulled all the FMJs and put in 40 grain Vmax. They shot real good after that and the brass lasts forever.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
True, made for spray and pray with AR type rifles. I weighed the bullets in a bunch of Remington and UMC FMJ, hell of a big variance. Supposed to be 55 grain, were anywhere from 48 to 63. Powder weight was real close so issue seems to be the crap bullets. I pulled all the FMJs and put in 40 grain Vmax. They shot real good after that and the brass lasts forever.
I've thought about reloading as well but that's in the future. Appreciate the advice and I guess I'll just stick with 223 buckets! Need to see how gophers react to the FMJs. Probably have to find a good source for the hollowpoints.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Gopher shooting with FMJs is not a great idea. They don't open up and like to skip off the rocks and hard dirt. If there is anything like livestock or buildings within 3 miles of your line of fire I would stick to highly frangible bullets like the Vmax, Blitzking, Horn SXSP and the like. Those almost never ricochet. Also, FMJs don't give you that satisfying Red Mist effect on gophers that the Vmax and SXSP do.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Gopher shooting with FMJs is not a great idea. They don't open up and like to skip off the rocks and hard dirt. If there is anything like livestock or buildings within 3 miles of your line of fire I would stick to highly frangible bullets like the Vmax, Blitzking, Horn SXSP and the like. Those almost never ricochet. Also, FMJs don't give you that satisfying Red Mist effect on gophers that the Vmax and SXSP do.
Trying to find cost effective rounds as well. I haven't looked at those before.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM

It is widely recommended not to shoot 5.56 in a 223 chamber but the other way around is fine the 223 saami chamber is slighty tighter than the 5.56 milapec chamber and milspec ammo can cause excessive pressure in a 223 chamber blown primers are not an uncommon thing I would stay away from it even if others have done it with no issue
Old 04-12-2019, 06:00 PM

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Have u ever personally had a problem shooting 5.56 ammo in a 223. Ther is far more difference gun to gun and ammo maker to maker or /load to be able to make a blanket statement. Read the article above and quit believing all the crap u read on the interweb. So much of what passes as knowledge today is stuff read and passed on with no personal vlaidation.

In a bolt action 223 I have had Hornady Superformance 223 pop primers because it is hot ammo and it was a tight chamber gun. Most commercially produced 223 bolt guns are NOT near that tight. If a batch of 5.56 pops primers quit using it but same is true if you get a hot load of 223. The chances of most people ever seeing either is extremely remote and u certaily aren't going to mess up a gun.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Have u ever personally had a problem shooting 5.56 ammo in a 223. Ther is far more difference gun to gun and ammo maker to maker or /load to be able to make a blanket statement. Read the article above and quit believing all the crap u read on the interweb. So much of what passes as knowledge today is stuff read and passed on with no personal vlaidation.

In a bolt action 223 I have had Hornady Superformance 223 pop primers because it is hot ammo and it was a tight chamber gun. Most commercially produced 223 bolt guns are NOT near that tight. If a batch of 5.56 pops primers quit using it but same is true if you get a hot load of 223. The chances of most people ever seeing either is extremely remote and u certaily aren't going to mess up a gun.
Well I agree with you i have two points to make first is yes I have had primers blow and yes it does wreck guns I consider gouges torched into a boltface damage
Number two why reccomend something that is not proper no matter your experience with it

Maybe recommend to him its doable but dont emphasize its completely safe because its not and let him make his own conclusions

Im very aware of variences in chambers I just try to make a point of the simple and safest answer to a question from somone who may be less experienced than others

Also kinda funny you argue internet info with a link to more internet info lol
Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM

I've never thought much about. Different , but the same. I do believe a rifle stamped 5.56 is considered a military weapon under US export regulations. Good video covers about everything. I've used lots of reloaded 5.56 brass, of course you have to remove the primer crimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCS4fXFmCyA

Grizz