Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Default H\R Block tax preparation fees????

Did I get screwed over? First year I've done my taxes with H/R Block here in Calgary and they charge 95.00 per T4 and other "T" forms you may have. Instead of giving them my paper copy's they just went on the Govt of Can website and downloaded from there.

Is this the norm? If so I'm going to someone else next year.

Cheers!
free to worship in my own way,
free to stand for what I think right,
free to oppose what I believe wrong,
or free to choose those
who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom
I pledge to uphold
for myself and all mankind.”

— John Diefenbaker
Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbloggins View Post
Did I get screwed over? First year I've done my taxes with H/R Block here in Calgary and they charge 95.00 per T4 and other "T" forms you may have. Instead of giving them my paper copy's they just went on the Govt of Can website and downloaded from there.

Is this the norm? If so I'm going to someone else next year.

Cheers!

Sounds cheap to me but your mileage may vary. I'd be more concerned that they got every deduction you're entitled to vs the cost.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Suspended User

Yup you got screwed. I do mine with their software online for cheap. Enter your info here, click and so on. Won't pay for someone to do basic taxes.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:56 AM

We did our basic taxes with H&R for years getting charged hundreds. Three years ago I decided to try and do my own, With an online one. Not only got better much deductions but only cost $20. Feel sheepish that I didn't do this years ago and as $.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-21-2019, 12:42 PM

H&R are the biggest scammers on earth. I used them over 10 years ago and just ended up owing and they missed ALOT.

I use turbotax and it has worked awesome. It was something like $30 per return. I have used turbotax for many years and it is a great and very easy program.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:55 PM

Yup turbo tax is great.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM

Default H&R never again

I used to use H&R block back in the day...because I didn't know any better. Then the government introduced a deduction for volunteer firefighters and i was excited to see how much that would save me, the H&R block "expert" told me I didn't qualify for it. i mentioned that to one of my fellow firefighters and he referred me to his accountant...well it turns out I did indeed qualify for it and a few other deductions that the Bockheads had been missing for years, and it cost me about the same. Never again and I'd never recommend their " services" to anyone. You're better off using a do it yourself software for simple returns or using the services of an actual accountant.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
H&R are the biggest scammers on earth. I used them over 10 years ago and just ended up owing and they missed ALOT.
I heard a ugly rumor years ago that they're in the feddle gubbint's pocket because of "subsidies" and will only do the bare minimum on taxx returns, and won't get you all YOUR money back. Never used 'em since.

I have a real good taxx accountant that I recently "discovered".

See my post #9 here.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM

Yes TuroTax

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM

Will never use Preparation H & R block again!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Thanks gents all info is very much appreciated.
Looks like myself and the misus will go the Turbo Tax route perhaps next year....
Cheers!
free to worship in my own way,
free to stand for what I think right,
free to oppose what I believe wrong,
or free to choose those
who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom
I pledge to uphold
for myself and all mankind.”

— John Diefenbaker
Old 04-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Default Tax software

I used to use Turbo years ago, but it had issues, and crashed occasionally. Found Simple Tax, and have used it for about 7-8 years now, no problems, and simple to use. They also have a great help support at the click of a mouse.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 AM

I did H&R for a few years.When i got my assessment from the gov't.I saw that H&R, had errored,took there work back to them.Refunded me the total amt.3 times.No freebie this year.So tried Turbo tax free,ended up costing 11.99..But got back $827.00 bucks...
Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 AM

The base rate at our office for a standard T1 return (4-5 T4/T5/T3 slips, RRSPs, medical, donation) is $84 per return. Costs then increase based on time spent on the file (large medical receipts to go through or complexities with securities sales or extra time needed to track down more information, etc) and/or if rental/business/farming statements are required.

I certainly don't begrudge people for doing their own taxes and have actually told clients that they should look into: 1) the free software provided by CRA, and 2) the 'file my return' CRA option.

What I've found is that most people like having the security of someone else looking after their tax information or being able to answer questions or help them if a review/audit/reassessment arises.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM

People working at H and R at tax time get zero real training and are paid on how many returns they process. Turbo tax will do a better job. If you have basic employment income and a couple of T5s, doing your own is dead simple. You will likely get more back than using H&R as they miss even basic deductions quite often.

I have been doing a few really complicated returns for over 20 years using Turbo Tax and its predecessor Quick Tax. It is a very competent tax program. If you have a complicated enough return and need help get a proper accountant. They usually are close in price and the extra you get back plus quality advice will more than cover it.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Default An aweful lot of misinformation being spewed on this thread

As a former CCRA and customs employee I was invited to work a season with H & R in Strathmore a few years ago to earn a bit of extra money. Training started in January and was online and mandatory to attain at least 75% on each module. think each module was 3-4 hours a day including testing and lasted 2 weeks on a variety of subjects. It was not easy as 4 of us were selected of the original 21 who signed up and either dropped out or didnt pass.
Then you spent a week learning the software in the actual office so it was February before you started preparing returns for clients and if you know anything about procrastination there were few people coming into office for preparation in February. there was a Feb promo for about $39. for a simple return (basic t4 T5 or T3) and even $29 for students
Passing the test first year only allowed you to do simple returns and you had to come back year after year to pass advance or intermediate levels to advance to those returns.
You are paid a base rate (think it was about $16) and if you exceed x numbers of returns there is a bonus built in.
I was able to do some intermediate and even advanced returns (self employed) because of my accounting and tax background but that was actually detrimental to my earnings because you spent so much longer interviewing each client and explaining the return once finalized. think the regular price for basic returns increased to between $49 and 79. for returns in March and April when things got busier.
When I averaged the paid training hours ($12. in 2013) as well as time spent doing returns I think it worked out to about $14 an hour for me. Never went back.

Last edited by wwbirds; 04-22-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM

I use Studiotax and usually confirm with turbotax and always do it myself for free. Just get in the habit of writing down everything you require for future years and filing it together and it doesn't take long at all to do.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:16 PM

Can anyone educate me on turbotax, or something comparable. I have never done my own taxes, out of fear of screwing something up, and getting nailed for it. But tired of paying H&R to click a couple boxes, fill out a few lines, and charge me $100 for it. Nothing fancy. My T4, wifes T4, and student loan (not sure what the code is on that off hand). That's it...
Old 04-22-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Can anyone educate me on turbotax, or something comparable. I have never done my own taxes, out of fear of screwing something up, and getting nailed for it. But tired of paying H&R to click a couple boxes, fill out a few lines, and charge me $100 for it. Nothing fancy. My T4, wifes T4, and student loan (not sure what the code is on that off hand). That's it...
You can try to do it online for free. It will even let you link yours and your wife's returns together to optimize who should claim what. It walks you through every single step very methodically. If you have a CRA login it will even load all your last year information automatically. You select all the boxes which apply to you and click next. It will bug you when you realize how simple it is!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I use Studiotax and usually confirm with turbotax and always do it myself for free. Just get in the habit of writing down everything you require for future years and filing it together and it doesn't take long at all to do.
Should have stated. The only reason I use Studiotax is that I can save prior years returns on my computer without paying for it. Turbotax has a better program setup.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
You can try to do it online for free. It will even let you link yours and your wife's returns together to optimize who should claim what. It walks you through every single step very methodically. If you have a CRA login it will even load all your last year information automatically. You select all the boxes which apply to you and click next. It will bug you when you realize how simple it is!
Okay, thank you. But what program are you talking about? Do I need to pay and download something from someone? I have no idea how to go about this.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 PM

Google Turbo Tax...Gives you your options..
Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Okay, thank you. But what program are you talking about? Do I need to pay and download something from someone? I have no idea how to go about this.
Turbotax is online.
https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-...x-software.jsp

Studiotax is a download:
https://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=2
Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM

Read through this page on CRA's site. It's breaks down what you can do through their NetFile program and what free programs you can use or paid programs that are available.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...e-program.html