Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Default Linked In

Anybody use it here? Just curious. I do. But have no vested interest. Just curiosity how many have joined and use it.
Kind of like face book for careers....

Last edited by bloopbloob; 04-22-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:07 PM

I am not very active but have a profile up there. Funny timing as I had a company call me and had a chat last week about a position they were looking to fill with my skills and I haven't been looking.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 PM

I browse it every now and again for new products. It is great for sales people to get new contacts. Other than that it is a place to post your resume publicly.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 PM

When anybody can endorse anybody for anything, becomes pretty useless
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM

I really like it for checking out the backgrounds of the folks I run across professionally. Especially handy if you are researching the folks that will interview you for a job.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Some companies only post jobs on linkedin as well so it can be good for job hunting.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

I somehow joined, not sure why, not even sure when, I don’t even really know what it is.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 PM

I am just starting my career so it is useful for networking and keeping in contact with previous co-workers. I like it.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:44 PM

Strangely I just got a call from someone that looked at my profile on there today. I don't use it other than keeping in touch with the guys that get out of the army. I view it as a Facebook for people with similar interests in your profession.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:25 PM

I have been on it for over a year. I was recently presented with an unsolicited job offer through it. Seemed very legit, but I'm not following up on it. Just curious how everyone else's experience has been. When it's time for a change, I think it might be quite handy to have built up a profile....
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
When anybody can endorse anybody for anything, becomes pretty useless
I agree, but the recommendations section is good...
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM

I wouldn't accept any unsolicited position unless you're getting a call from a senior manager or HR official from the company, and it better be a reputable one. Certainly doesn't hurt to flush out your profile if you begin to search for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I agree, but the recommendations section is good...
Ya the endorsements section is meaningless to most, I would think.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I wouldn't accept any unsolicited position unless you're getting a call from a senior manager or HR official from the company, and it better be a reputable one. Certainly doesn't hurt to flush out your profile if you begin to search for work.

Ya the endorsements section is meaningless to most, I would think.
I tend to disagree.. I hardly have any endorsements myself. But I use it in the hiring process to look up peoples backgrounds... If you have a lot of accredited people backing you up, you probably know what you're doing.... I also check peoples facebook accounts pre-hire, but put more value on linked-in (if they have an account).
Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I tend to disagree.. I hardly have any endorsements myself. But I use it in the hiring process to look up peoples backgrounds... If you have a lot of accredited people backing you up, you probably know what you're doing....
I suppose it all depends who the endorsements are from. A bunch of random individuals with little accreditation? Doesn't mean anything.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I suppose it all depends who the endorsements are from. A bunch of random individuals with little accreditation? Doesn't mean anything.
Absolutely. You need to follow the crumb trail back, to make sure it all makes sense. Recommendations from people with no experience or skills are worthless. I have found that is really not the case with Linked-in. Anybody on there is generally quite established already, and not just blowing smoke.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. You need to follow the crumb trail back, to make sure it all makes sense. Recommendations from people with no experience or skills are worthless. I have found that is really not the case with Linked-in. Anybody on there is generally quite established already, and not just blowing smoke.
For sure. If nothing else it's a good starting point for weeding out the pretenders from the real deal, but I also wouldn't disqualify someone if they didn't have a bunch of endorsements and a million connections as well--like seen on this thread, some just don't use LinkedIn much.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Angry Kind of like feces book?

Quote:
Anybody use it here? Just curious. I do. But have no vested interest. Just curiosity how many have joined and use it.
Kind of like face book for careers....
It is like feces book. So that is a hard No from me.
I was inundated with endorsement and join requests from LinkedIn when it first started, did some digging to find out it was touted as "like feces book for professionals". It sure is, complete with ALL the spyware and data mining software that you agree to accept when you join. It is active on every device you use to access your LinkedIn account.
I will repeat this as required: If you are not paying for the product, YOU are the product.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 PM

I was on it for quite a few years but said “screw it” one day and nuked my account. No real bad experience and I did have a few head-hunters contact me over the years but it just wasn’t for me. I found a lot of people wanted to be your contact just because of the position You held. The whole thing just felt phoney so I’ve never gone back.

To each his own though...
Old 04-23-2019, 07:30 AM

I find it handy for keeping track of business associates among other things. I definitely don't accept connection requests unless they directly relate to my business and have common contacts. Easy to zap people who slip through.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Never used it more since I took my Aus assignment.
Because the Co isn’t holding my job back home, so connections are everything, and those I’ll need in a year or 2 when I come home.
Ya, the connection thing is hit and mis, I request some but I do get a lot more my way, some I accept, some I ignore, even ignore some ladies, ha.
Like has already been mentioned, it’s connecting people with common ground with you, why accept a connection request from someone way out in right field?
I have 325 connections now and my title, company and role (searched)is likely responsible for 75% of those. A few old teammates or schoolmates who recognize the name would account for the rest.
Some say they’ve received headhunter calls? Posting ur phone #? That’s odd.

TBark
Old 04-24-2019, 08:46 AM

I've got 1000+ connections and I've found it useful to see the pulse of my industry and there's been a few opportunities sent my way.

I also use it for recruiting staff. I don't post a lot but I do check it once a week or so.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Some say they’ve received headhunter calls? Posting ur phone #? That’s odd.

TBark
I’ve been contacted by headhunters twice, both for the same type of role that required specialized experience. I spent quite a few years first working on then supervising maintenance trades on electric shovels in the Oilsands. Finding an experienced maintenance supervisor who knows electric shovels inside out is not real easy and there is a limited pool to draw from. One posting I was contacted on was for Kearl and the other CNRL. I sent emails back stating I wasn’t in the market for a new job but I did check the job boards each time and there was a posting up looking to fill those spots so it appeared legit.

When I say called I meant contacted through Linked-in and I suppose if I was looking for a new job I might have kept my membership. Suncor has treated me real well for the last 10 years and I couldn’t think of a better company to work for. With less than 15 years to go until retirement I’ll be sticking around for as long as they’ll have me.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Smile Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
One posting I was contacted on was for Kearl and the other CNRL. I sent emails back stating I wasn’t in the market for a new job
That was some impressive bullet dodging skills! Keep up the good work.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-26-2019, 07:39 PM

Good that u are somewhat specialized Posi, separates u from the crowd.
if not ur trade, then ur experiences.
Stay safe.

TBark
Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 AM

I find it Ok for tracking aquaintices and employer reviews. Had a flurry of recruiters calling last month out of the blue, which I don’t like.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM

I find it rather annoying myself. Is there away to unsubscribe? I know how to get a hold of the people I want to talk to or associate with.

BW
Old 04-28-2019, 05:01 AM

Thought I was somewhat specialized and on one of the premier O&G projects on the planet, just unsure where these recruiters are.
My role might be odd or unique instead of specialized, or i’m too old, ha.

TBark