Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM

Default Fishing Intervention!?!?

Well to be honest I just finished getting in a argument with my girlfriend of 4 years about how much money I spend fishing, but I'm 32 and semi-retired so if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't do it. Maybe I do have a problem since I venting my frustrations on a fishing forum late at night but I enjoy fishing and everyone needs a hobby. How does everybody else do it? I fish about one or two days per week and I know that there are guys out there with 20+ years of marriage that make it work, and I would like to know how other people do it. All I want to do is relax and fish so please, let me know how to make the work before I start a cloning program for fishergirl.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchimo View Post
Well to be honest I just finished getting in a argument with my girlfriend of 4 years about how much money I spend fishing, but I'm 32 and semi-retired so if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't do it. Maybe I do have a problem since I venting my frustrations on a fishing forum late at night but I enjoy fishing and everyone needs a hobby. How does everybody else do it? I fish about one or two days per week and I know that there are guys out there with 20+ years of marriage that make it work, and I would like to know how other people do it. All I want to do is relax and fish so please, let me know how to make the work before I start a cloning program for fishergirl.
First of all thank you for your service (just gathered that from the name you are an engineer?) Anyway I just bring my old lady fishing with me. She will stay out forever as long as she is warm and has something to do. I just treat her like a child pretty much
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 AM

X2. I bought a new boat a couple years ago and I was definitely sleeping in the doghouse for a week or so. I thought she got the hint because I had all these brochures laying around and was talking about maybe getting a new boat. When I came home and told her I bought it she wasn't too happy. My buddy convinced her to come fishing with me and she was immediately hooked. Now, a lot of times, it's just her, the dog, and myself and she loves it. Oh, concentrate more on boat control than fishing the odd time and let her "outfish" you so she has some bragging rights.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM

LOL. Ya it's a tough one. This my first year of serious ice fishing and she thinks I'm crazy for going over out in -20 and there is no chance of getting her in heated tent. Maybe I'll try bribery. She fishes with me at Winefred lake and she caught a 21lb pike and a 12lb walleye after only 4 hours of fishing!!! I'll buy her some heavy duty winter gear and see if that will help.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 AM

Good luck!
Yes I'm laughing right now.

There is only one cure. And we don't really discuss relationship issues on the AO forum. Kind of forbidden.
You know unspoken, but spoken?

If you are not living together, you still have a chance. If you are not married but living together, you still have a chance.
Otherwise be prepared for 20+ years of listening to IT.
Just go fishing and fogetaboutit, eh?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 AM

There are much worse things you could be spending your time doing. And even worse things that you could be spending your money on. When I quit drinking I put what I would normally spend on my bar tab each month into a jar; then I took up a new hobby every month with that money until I ran into fishing... Long story short I have a 1000$ high end camera, cheap golf clubs, a 3 year gym membership, Sponsored a theater troop.... Yeah it took a good 6 months to land back on my childhood hobby.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is to use that argument even though it is sure to be a losing exchange. I won exactly 1 fight in the 5 years I was with my ex-wife wanna guess which one that was?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Deep View Post
She will stay out forever as long as she is warm and has something to do. I just treat her like a child pretty much
I think this is pretty solid advice on how to go about treating A Woman in every life.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Default Good advise

Well thanks for all the great advise. Once again I think my girlfriend was right about this one. I just started serious ice fishing this year and I have gone a bit overboard with getting all the gear right away. Last week I wanted a propane auger and after hearing about thier poor performance in the cold I wanted an electric one. I'm tired of using my hand auger but I'm sure it's not going to kill me to wait a month till I have 100 percent made up my mind. It is good to hear that other people sometimes have the same problem, but i guess fishing should always come secondary to spending time at home with family.
I did miss all the great sales yesterday but I guess I will just have to make more friends with people who have a power auger.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM

do you have a drill ?? they make a adapters for the drill to auger works pretty good if you have a nice drill
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Auger-Adapter-for-Cordless-Drill-Motor-Ice-Fishing-/180581449577
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Well thanks for all the great advise. Once again I think my girlfriend was right about this one. I just started serious ice fishing this year and I have gone a bit overboard with getting all the gear right away. Last week I wanted a propane auger and after hearing about thier poor performance in the cold I wanted an electric one. I'm tired of using my hand auger but I'm sure it's not going to kill me to wait a month till I have 100 percent made up my mind. It is good to hear that other people sometimes have the same problem, but i guess fishing should always come secondary to spending time at home with family.
I did miss all the great sales yesterday but I guess I will just have to make more friends with people who have a power auger.

Or you could make some money and buy one, they are not even half of a small mortgage payment.

Also, sitting at home all the time making fishing (and friends, hobbies, aka everything else in your life) come second doesn't sound like a healthy relationship either.

I would say decision time, but it's your life, your decision.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Before we got married, my wife knew what I liked and told her it wouldn't change. She will actually take a day of work a month so I can get away fishing. Don't try and convert your other to what you like, but let her embrace what you love. Once a year she will join me (if it's good weather) and she will sit and tan on the front deck of the boat for a weekend. I will serve her drinks and food, she is happy. Don't try and change someone for what you want to do, it will just ruin what u like. cheers
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Deep View Post
First of all thank you for your service (just gathered that from the name you are an engineer?) Anyway I just bring my old lady fishing with me. She will stay out forever as long as she is warm and has something to do. I just treat her like a child pretty much
Im thinking about a year in the dog house if she ever reads that post.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM

I used to fish about every 2-3 days, she got fed up and left. I now fish almost daily!

found one that couldn't care less about how much time or money is spent fishing.

Last edited by muskokagould; 12-27-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Im thinking about a year in the dog house if she ever reads that post.
Ya I now realize a fishing forum is not a great place for relationship counseling and I'm trying to figure out a way to delete this thread, just in case she decides to ever read it.....
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
I thought girlfriend meant your money was your money. Is this about money or being second fiddle.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 AM

learned mine how to fish, and let her beat me at it a lot of times. I cant really afford how much I spend on it, but I could be spending it on worse things. usually go through 4 to 500 a month just for gas, and about 20 of that is for my work commute, rest is for fishing. get her a warm suit, and invest in a good camera, it sure keeps me entertained. get a big tent so you have room to spread out a bit and maybe squeeze ina small table to play cards between bites or whatever else you can find to add to the entertainment (oh and if you manage to clone fishergirrl Id like to put in my order for a copy now)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
learned mine how to fish, and let her beat me at it a lot of times. I cant really afford how much I spend on it, but I could be spending it on worse things. usually go through 4 to 500 a month just for gas, and about 20 of that is for my work commute, rest is for fishing. get her a warm suit, and invest in a good camera, it sure keeps me entertained. get a big tent so you have room to spread out a bit and maybe squeeze ina small table to play cards between bites or whatever else you can find to add to the entertainment (oh and if you manage to clone fishergirrl Id like to put in my order for a copy now)
I do the same with my wife . I make sure my girl has as much fun as I do and stays warm ice fishing . Never get quized about what I have spent on equipment or how much I have , like Wayne said , we could be spending it on worse things . But for a large & expensive acqisition , logic & common sense for me would be to consult my other half .
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Hey Wayne:

You mean all those wonderful photos I have been complementing you on were Mrs. Waynes?

Now the cat is out of the bag.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM

We should start and AA club angers anonimus

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Your 32 years old an semi retired? Fighting about money?
I'm thinking most the old fellas that are out on the ice and happy wives at home, were working their butts off making sure everything was paid off and a bank account was growing at 32. Nothing makes a gal happier than stability, I think.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM

I remember a bumper sticker that said "She told me, if you go dirt biking one more time, I'm leaving!...I sure am gonna miss her." If you had one made up for fishing and just stuck it to your bumper without saying a word, she might get the point!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM

I take my 3 kids with me when I go so mom gets a day off so to speak. Every once and a while she joins me on the ice for a bit.

In the summer its easy. She sets up with a jig over the edge and sun tans while I untangle the kids lines and take fish off the hook and occasionally get a cast or two in.

both my wife and I agree that our relationship is healthy if you have individual interests. You don't have to do absolutley everything together.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Brad Paisley sang a song a few years back that might be helpful....
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Default Failing All of That

As I am legally retired and wise in my old age .

You can be as accomodating as all get out and sometimes

that works or you can meet your equal in that thirst for the outdoors .

Few men will be as lucky as wayne ....as seen by that jet boat video

where the missus is out over the bow watchin for rocks .Your a lucky man Wayne C.
But in the 10 yrs as a free man tween marital blisses I encountered many

females that just hate top see a man havin fun...ergo Lovemaking with ones eyes closed ...

I developed not only a sixth sense about this but also a patented
response to their incessant badgering.

Question " Just how long is this Fishing - Hunting - Golfing -
Belching etc. etc. going to go on ? "

Answer " A lot longer than you and I are going to be
together "

Like many have said my current missus , as long as shes fed and warm
all is well . And she always outfishes the prince and rubs it in all the way home.....awwwwwww Love ..
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Ive been with my wife for 20 yrs now and i stopped trying to figure out how to win the battles...........but i did learn that buying her 2 Prada bags in Vegas in August just before my Bow season started gave me a go pass for the whole hunting season.......i dont suggest bribing them with gifts though because now its ice fishing season and she keeps looking at me with DIAMONDS in her eyes!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM

I get out 2-3 times per week and my saving grace is that my wife has hobbies that are not interesting at all to me. She fills her weekends with activities that she enjoys and that frees me up to go fishing. Get your girlfriend into a hobby that will distract her while you are fishing.