Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 AM

Default Winchester Collector Value

A hundred years ago when I was a kid, Winchester was punching out 'fancy grade comemorative rifles' for darn near everything. Do you remember those? A Chief Sitting Bull Rifle in 94 lever gun. Another for the completion of the CP Railroad, one for John Wayne, another for the Klondike Gold Rush, etc. etc. Most of them were the same old outhouse lever rifles that Winchester had made for the last century with some minor enhancements like better grades of wood, some minor embellishment and maybe some engraved scrollwork. Soon Winchester had made so many comemorative rifles that most lost their value. (There is probably even a Rusty P. Bucket Comemorative Winchester Model 94!). They were all chambered in 30-30 for the most part and were just warmed over 94's.

Some of these rifles ARE worth money though, and truly retain some valid collector interest. I understand that the RCMP comemorative rifle might be worth money and possibly a few others.

My boss is hunting with a Canadian Centennial rifle that has an octagonal barrel, the crescent buttplate and a few other touches. Can any of you fellas remember whether or not this was one of the truly 'collectable' rifles?

I wonder if he should be shooting it and abusing it like an ordinary hunting rifle...
Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 AM

If he has even taken it out of the box, he should keep hunting with it!
I was never fond of the commeneratives, just because.....
Cat
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 AM

Hey Rusty,

I didn't know your wife hunted, and a thutty thutty to boot.

Bobby B.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 AM

Never heard of that one Rusty. I have a Alberta Diamond Jubiulee in 38-55 and a box of matching ammo. Never fired still in the box. My father bought it for me so I will never sell it, pass it on to my son I guess, with all my other rifles that were passed on to me from my grandfather and father. The RCMP ones came out in 2 versions, one for anyone and one for active officers and retired members. The latter is double the price.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Winchester turned out so many "commemorative" rifles over the years. Not all are really valuable items unless they are important to the owner. Most were intended to fetch Winchester an increased by flogging them as special runs or the ever distracting "Collector's Edition".
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Most of the Winchester commemoratives fetch $500-550 NIB, but there are some that will fetch more - eg. John Wayne commemorative.

On the Canadian 1967 Centennial commemorative, it came in two versions - 20 inch barreled carbine of which some 9000 or so were made and the 26 inch barreled rifle of which 90 thousand were made.

Current pricing for either is $500-550 NIB with reduced price if fired, any wear, etc.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 AM

If a Centennial rifle has been fired, it's not worth any more than any run of the mill 30-30. 90,301 of these were made in rifle and carbine versions and sold very well in Canada. By comparison, 19,999 Legendary Frontiersmen rifles in 38-55 were built and it seems like you can find them quite easily and buy them for $450.00 if they are in fired, but primo condition.
The reason that RCMP 94's can be collectable is because only 9500 were produced for the general public and another 5100 were produced to be sold only to RCMP members. The two are easily distinguished by the serial numbers. The ones made for sale to the public have RCMP in front of the serial number and the ones for sale to members only had just MP in front of the serial number. Get yourself an unfired MP marked rifle and you may have yourself something, one of 90 thousand fired and banged up Centennials, naw!