Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Default RV repair!!

Our 2010 travel trailer sprung a leak over the last few years, seems like where the front cap and roof meet was not sealed properly, so now the walls are starting to delaminate as well as the front cap, it looks pretty ugly who does repairs like this in Red Deer?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:11 PM

Does it happen to be a Tango?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Is it a Pacific Coach Works trailer? Right after I bought mine last spring I read of them having the side walls at the front leading edges pop out from under the corner trim so I pulled out the plastic cover strip and sure enough, 3 out of every 4 screws were literally stripped and doing nothing!!! So I got some 2 1/2" long screws and screwed them in diagonally in between the existing ones and that literally sucked the trim in good and snug and redid the chaulking.
OP, I don't know of any shops in the Red Deer area. Maybe stop in at a few RV dealers and ask them who they use if they don't do it themselves.
thought I'd comment just to make others aware to check for the poor quality workmanship that is in 90% of the RV's out there before they are also victims as well. I've practically redone every exterior corner/seam/window seam on my trailer to get it to my standards and durability.Some of the screws that I removed already had the threads rusted to the point of not being there already!! It's a shame.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:07 PM

Mine is a shadow cruiser, sibling of the Funfinder made by cruiser rv.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Not quite in Red Deer, but my in-laws had their RV fixed (extensive hail damage) at Edwards Garage in Rocky.

I was impressed that they were even able to do the decals (especially since the original manufacturer was long out of business).

After you get it fixed, you might want to consider putting down a strip of Eternabond at that joint on top... I hear it works really well. I keep a small strip in my trailer in case I need to do a field repair on my roof.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:47 PM

As an appraiser who see's this while doing RV claims and has seen shops try to fix this.

Imo, assuming its a hard walled RV. If it's already de-laminating, save your repair $$$ and either sell it as is for what you can get or seal it up the best you can so no more water gets in and use it and live with it until you wear it out . BIG money to try and fix as you can't just do a section on a Fiberglass walled trailer very easily. Once the glue that bonds those panels together starts lifting or separating, condensation gets in between and will make it a horrible job and it may be already happening elsewhere, just hasn't shown up. Shops can slap on a new outer panel but where do they hide the vertical seam? Plus new repairs are new white, wont match the shine of the existing trailer unless you polish the rest.

Gord Schmidt RV in Lacombe seemed to be a decent repair shop if you want to contact and ask their opinion. 403-782-1660
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM

National RV in Edmonton does most of the roofing and metal repairs for RV dealerships in Alberta from what I've heard. I bought my travel trailer from a JM Trailer Mechanic that works at Woody's in Red Deer. When I asked him what it cost to get the roof replaced he said every dealership in Alberta uses these guys, can't remember the price but wasn't cheap.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Default leaking r.v.

I work at first choice collision in red deer,we do all kinds of r.v. repair and painting.We have fixed hundreds of delamination in rv"s.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybuckhunter View Post
I work at first choice collision in red deer,we do all kinds of r.v. repair and painting.We have fixed hundreds of delamination in rv"s.
I'm buying a used rv in a month or so. So I have been thinking about delamination. Can you give a very rough price on what a repair would cost if you caught it early?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM

I had delamination on a 2003 vanguard fifth wheel about 6 years ago, took it into an RV body shop on the west end of Edmonton....Worst mistake I made..... by the time I was done my bill was $12000 as I had 3 of the 4 corners leaking at the roof line... pretty much what it was worth at the time. Problem with delamination is until you start peeling back the panels, you don't know how bad the damage is and once you peel back the panels it's hard to turn back on repairs.

The rv repair shop was called bodyworks rv and it's in the winterburn industrial area.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM

Guess there are some pros and cons by owning a hard wall rv, I like the smooth look better, but once moisture enters it looks like crap.

Having a tin wall , it dents easier, you won't notice any moisture entrance till it ,eats inside and walls rot away, plus to me a tin wall looks more entry level..

But I think I'm going to repair mine to the best of my ability, and keep it,we like our layout, plus I can not justify spending 30k for a new one, for the amount that it is being used.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Unless its horrible and you can't live with it as is, seal the heck out of it so the water leak stops and leave it alone. Its a can of worms you may regret opening.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Unless its horrible and you can't live with it as is, seal the heck out of it so the water leak stops and leave it alone. Its a can of worms you may regret opening.
Thanks sooner and for your other post, when I look around I'm not the only one with a wrinkled rv.