Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Nice haul and great looking coyotes, Dr D!

Nice to see that you are having success, MB1!

Great pictures and stories everyone!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Looks good. I don't mean to come off rude. Might want to lift your snares the one dog is caught pretty deep looks swollen. Most cases if a coyote is blooded up he died very slowwwwwwwwww. Unless I'm wrong and you had to dispatch him.

Thanks for the comments guys,
Coy the blood was from the two nicks you can see on her front legs. Which came from the barbed wire. She was actually under that little spruce when I found her, I think it was quick by the lack of a disturbed area. My first catch was around the chest but the last two have been good neck catches. Learning every time out.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:55 PM

My bad. Sorry about that.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 PM

Fox #2. Caught him in a snare. Very little damage in fact I think I could reuse that snare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox#2.jpg (57.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg fox#02.jpg (59.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-21-2014, 06:27 AM

Congrats.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 AM

I updated my journal with some new pics. Got 8 weasels, 7 marten, a lynx and a mink on the last check. Tons of weasels it seems and it has becaome quite a problem with bait getting stolen or traps sprung and empty. I think next year it will be double boxes at all sets now where I know there are marten
Old 12-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Well I checked my snares again today, nothing been to my bait pile. But I did get this on one of my fence sets.

[IMG][/IMG]

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-21-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I updated my journal with some new pics. Got 8 weasels, 7 marten, a lynx and a mink on the last check. Tons of weasels it seems and it has becaome quite a problem with bait getting stolen or traps sprung and empty. I think next year it will be double boxes at all sets now where I know there are marten
The weasel seem to be out of control this year, I've never seen numbers like this before. Last year I only caught 2 or 3 all winter. This year I'm into double digits already.

Are you seeing any wolf sign around the line yet ?
Old 12-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Banned

I think that I found myself a badger den in an old pile of logs. I'm going to wait a few weeks for it to prime up a bit before I try to catch him.
Hey Badger Bill (aka Bill9044), I'm going to need some tips on the best way to trap this fella.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The weasel seem to be out of control this year, I've never seen numbers like this before. Last year I only caught 2 or 3 all winter. This year I'm into double digits already.

Are you seeing any wolf sign around the line yet ?
I saw a group of 3 in a pack and then a single track the other day. Surprisingly there are no wolves in the portion I am trapping in. For being close to an area where the major wolf cull is going on it doesn't seem to be worth going to hell and high water to kill them all.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I saw a group of 3 in a pack and then a single track the other day. Surprisingly there are no wolves in the portion I am trapping in. For being close to an area where the major wolf cull is going on it doesn't seem to be worth going to hell and high water to kill them all.
Saw a pack of 3 !!! Did you choot one ???
Old 12-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Tons of weasels out our way too this year. Gettin tired of those thieves. That and huge amount of whiskey jacks as well this year.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think that I found myself a badger den in an old pile of logs. I'm going to wait a few weeks for it to prime up a bit before I try to catch him.
Hey Badger Bill (aka Bill9044), I'm going to need some tips on the best way to trap this fella.

Porcupine?
Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Porcupine?
X2 I think that's a porky.

LC
Old 12-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Porcupine?
I was thinking that as well but a badger has been spotted in that area during the harvest. I'm hoping that it's him but yeah, it could be a porkie I guess. I'm going to keep my eye on the spot for another 2 or 3 weeks and maybe even set up my trail cam to get a picture of it.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I was thinking that as well but a badger has been spotted in that area during the harvest. I'm hoping that it's him but yeah, it could be a porkie I guess. I'm going to keep my eye on the spot for another 2 or 3 weeks and maybe even set up my trail cam to get a picture of it.
Easiest way to find out. Set a snare in the entrance. Crawl in and light a fire. Just make sure you beat the badger, skunk,porky,mangy coyote and the weasels out of there.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Easiest way to find out. Set a snare in the entrance. Crawl in and light a fire. Just make sure you beat the badger, skunk,porky,mangy coyote and the weasels out of there.
LOL......I think that I'll stick with the trail cam.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Fox #3 today. Second one in a snare. Was able to put out a rather large bait today, looking forward to the days to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox#3.jpg (47.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg fox#03.jpg (39.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 AM

I agree with coy. Could be a porcupine. Dave please post your trail can pics. I have never seen a badger in a wood pile but where I am at we don't have any wood to make a pile. Hahaha. Around here you will see some dirt pushed up on to the snow from thier mound. Last year I witnessed a mugging and a theft. A badger dug up some dinner he had stashed and a yote ran over and chased him off and took his dinner.
So I snuck over and was judge jury and executioner. I took care of the assailant.

Last edited by bill9044; 12-22-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 AM

I thought I found a badger this year as well Dave and it turned out to be a skunk hole. The track had some very long toe nails is why I thought badger and didn't realise skunks still come out in the winter
Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I was thinking it could be a wolverine. I had one come through my line two years ago and got a couple marten on me that where caught, but he only ate half of them and never did break the wire holding them in the box.
If it was only one missing trap I would say quite possibly a wolverine or a big fisher by the foot and he broke free and walked away, but I doubt he walked 600 yards and did it again ?
Plus the tuft of marten fur at the first box has me thinking a marten was already caught before it went missing. Really wish I had the trail camera set up on these boxes now
Tork

Sounds to me like a Wolverine, their tracks can easily be mistaken for lynx. My first year at my new line I thought I was seeing "lynx tracks" I set a few lynx cubbies and the next week I had three wolverine. I have caught several wolverine since and have a bit of experience with their habits loosing over a hundred martin boxes and several already caught animals in the last couple of years. The Wild North You Tube channel has allot of great ideas to catch them.

Good Luck
Old 12-23-2014, 01:38 PM

3 coyotes today , 1 that I shot on the way to check snares , 1 in a snare from 5 days ago that got snowed over ,still good and frozen ,and 1 that the friendly neighbourhood eagle went to lunch on . He was sitting on the post when I got there and dog was still warm . Cost me 2 so far .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4164.jpg (48.9 KB, 133 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:51 PM

Seeing lots of pics of snares at fence lines . I'm avoiding them as I'm worries about damage ...... Am I missing something ? I would maybe set there with a power ram . Thoughts ?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Seeing lots of pics of snares at fence lines . I'm avoiding them as I'm worries about damage ...... Am I missing something ? I would maybe set there with a power ram . Thoughts ?
Used to get alot of damage when I used a short snare , now with a 12 ' total snare and ext , many times the coyote is away from the fence when it's done . This was my first this year to get tangled arounfd the post and the barb wire damage was insignificant compared to the eagle . Now that you've jinxed me , they all will be tore up at my crossings ..lol .
Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM

10 foot snare and a kill spring with a trigger should solve your problems with coyote messing up the fence line.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419391181.492257.jpg I must have been by within minutes of this one being caught, he was alive in the snare when I walked by, I checked the rest of my snares then came back and he was toast. What are the odds? Wonder if I chased him into the snare...
Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Coyote #4 today. Nicest one so far. Another fenceline catch, no damage, I also use an extension and she was wrapped around the nearest tree. Definitely getting some power rams once I get some income from this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coyote#4.jpg (50.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Coyote#04.jpg (33.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Coyote#004.jpg (25.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
Attachment 100805 I must have been by within minutes of this one being caught, he was alive in the snare when I walked by, I checked the rest of my snares then came back and he was toast. What are the odds? Wonder if I chased him into the snare...
I have seen that this year. You pull up and it looks like it was just caught. And it was. They hear the truck and start running carelessly and bang right where you want him. I wouldn't change that snare location.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I have seen that this year. You pull up and it looks like it was just caught. And it was. They hear the truck and start running carelessly and bang right where you want him. I wouldn't change that snare location.

Nope. That set is staying where it is lol.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:53 PM

my partner has been laid up with a broken arm(pogo stick accident). was great that he was able to get back out, and pull his weight. even if he had his buddy pull the sled, unload the bait, and all the other dirty work. at least i didn't have to do it.