Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 PM

same here, all that is showing is your overall average/sold/brought back/total.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:32 PM

I'm not seeing any prices on the auction catalogues for muskrat?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
I'm not seeing any prices on the auction catalogues for muskrat?
Yup, it's not getting updated with the selling prices. I have 55 muskrat bought back but I don't know which lots they are.

US$3.66 average.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM

Terrible let down WOW really sad raight now.US 5.33 AV on 63 rats
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Banned

On the bright side, for me anyways, 24 of my 27 3XL and my best 10 XL muskrats were bought back. Maybe prices will improve for the next auction.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:32 PM

Default Rats

So by the way everyone is reacting,PRICES SUCKED! Well guess this made up my mine on spring rats,i can't afford to trap them for 3-5 dollars US 4-7 roughly Canadian,just delivered 191 to Marty's today,and then bought back as well,NOT GOOD NEWS
Old 01-29-2015, 08:07 PM

Was thinking of doing rats this spring as well but I think that might change as well. I can handle $5-6 a piece but it sounds like they sold for less? Will have to check out the average selling price once they post it up.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Default Rats

all of these rats were caught really close to home,fall ones anyways,spring rats were from March/April,so cost was low,but my spring rat area's are farther aaway,hence more fuel cost,that's my biggest reason,gonna cost me more in gas than what rats will bring,I gotta be economical IMO
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Banned

Nube, my best 3 rats were in lot 19 3XL-XXL SLT.....NTH,GD,SPR and they sold for $7.25.

I'll still be chasing Spring rats though. Maybe they'll rebound next year.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Nube, my best 3 rats were in lot 19 3XL-XXL SLT.....NTH,GD,SPR and they sold for $7.25.

I'll still be chasing Spring rats though. Maybe they'll rebound next year.
I wouldn't be to upset about 7.25 it wasn't to long ago when rats were a good price at 5. I will take 7 ea for mine
Old 01-29-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
that sucked!
Big time .. averaged $4.26 on mine , no xxl's tho so I guess it could have been worse . All were spring rats and quite disappointed . Had some new traps to set out this spring but they're gone to a buddy that hasn't had enough pain yet ..Oh I'll still catch a few in dugouts and ditches that are making a mess but not like I was going to target them .. I watched and listened to the auction on line and it seemed a little like a gong show , switching back and forth between lots and comments made didn't sound too encouraging .
Old 01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
I wouldn't be to upset about 7.25 it wasn't to long ago when rats were a good price at 5. I will take 7 ea for mine
That wasn't my average, that was my highest selling 3 rats. My average was US$3.66 but there was no interest in the other 3XXL rats that I had in so they were bought back.

I'll be chasing them again this Spring but my expectations are a lot lower now.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 PM

Default Rats

I wasn't going to post cause I havent in a long time, reasons to my own. I have always trapped rats an a 3.00 average was the norm. The last three years were great I wish I had more rats at that time. Prices go up an down take what you get and put a smile on your face, just think of the time spent doing it. If I thought what I made an hour trapping my wife would put me in a institution, an I do well in an average trapping all fur bearers. I averaged 4.67 mostly spring rats, I am not extatic about it but still happy it wasent 3.00. Happy trapping just think of the yapper prices on Monday makes me sleep well.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 PM

Well said RG. I don't think any of us are trying to make a living off of trapping. Take the highs with the lows and enjoy our time outdoors and in the shed.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 PM
AO Sponsor

I had 117 rats in and sold 115 for a $5.13 average. These were all spring rats. They were ugly late spring shedder rats tho but they're ably liked the white leathe and zero mice sizes.

Hopefully the guys that sold in the Sept sale have a big smiley on their faces!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Well I sold 2 more beaver for $3 a piece Got $6 for one and $7 for another. My best beaver got $18 I think it was. Might as well toss them in the bait bucket next time What a waste of my time. At least I got a nice picture with my beavers done up lol
Old 01-30-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well I sold 2 more beaver for $3 a piece Got $6 for one and $7 for another. My best beaver got $18 I think it was. Might as well toss them in the bait bucket next time What a waste of my time. At least I got a nice picture with my beavers done up lol
That's crazy. I got more for the beaver carcass as bear bait. Had to throw in 15 pounds of castors to at least get 15 $ for most of mine. Anymore I tan the blanket sized ones for bathroom rugs.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the lousy prices.

Better off keeping a few and make a nice beaver skin winter tent.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-30-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:20 AM

auctioneer was a crappy one flipped all over the place sounded like he could care less to be there just wanted to go home not happy camper bought back my xl and most of my 3xl which I guess is good ended up with a 3.60 us ave on just over 1100. larges went for 4.25, mediums 3.00 and smalls where 2 bucks best was 8.25
Old 01-30-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I am not extatic about it but still happy it wasent 3.00.
copy that, it wasn't a surprise. and it could of been alot worse.

it does show, that holding fur over. more often than not, doesn't pay. all my last springs rats are in the next auction. kind of wishing i would of sold last summer.we'll see.

starting back up rat trapp'in next week.should be good!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 AM

Default Positive take

I am disappointed too, even lower than I thought possible after negative foreshadowing..

On a positive note-
We have had 3 good - make that fantastic years of rat prices up till now
Mink have advanced a little, which may help next sale - anticipated pelt out (reduction of mink herd) this season may reduce mink glut for next season
Coyote advances will balance out rat declines for me this year - fortunate here

And lastly, muskrat up to a few years ago were mainly an ignored fur bearer because of low prices - at least we got a small army of trappers out chasing them again. Don't stop producing rats altogether ... Averaging / shipping something every year is hype logical thing to do
Old 01-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Godberson View Post
I am disappointed too, even lower than I thought possible after negative foreshadowing..

On a positive note-
We have had 3 good - make that fantastic years of rat prices up till now
Mink have advanced a little, which may help next sale - anticipated pelt out (reduction of mink herd) this season may reduce mink glut for next season
Coyote advances will balance out rat declines for me this year - fortunate here

And lastly, muskrat up to a few years ago were mainly an ignored fur bearer because of low prices - at least we got a small army of trappers out chasing them again. Don't stop producing rats altogether ... Averaging / shipping something every year is hype logical thing to do
Yes Gary this is true,i guess for myself personally I blew up a little with a post,i can't imagine not trapping them in spring,so I will be out there slogging come ice off,got a project in mind for some rats anyways,send some business to Mr Grahm,cheers Peter,if I can get 5.25 Canadian for mine ill do over a 1000 on what I shipped,i'll be happy with that,cheers Peter and bait for fall as well
Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 PM

When they're talking size of beaver and the biggest is over 65" is that circumference or what are they measuring?
Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
When they're talking size of beaver and the biggest is over 65" is that circumference or what are they measuring?
Length plus width.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Banned

Well, that's weird. Yesterday, after the muskrats were auctioned, I had 46 muskrats bought back. I just checked my account and all of the buy backs are sold. How does this happen, with backroom negotiating?

BTW The catalog for muskrats has been updated with the prices.

I had one beaver in the auction that sold well XL *I BR SEMI = $40.92

Can anyone tell me what it means when they mark the grade with an * and say that it's labeled?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:09 PM

Private treaty. Yup backdoor sale
Old 01-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Private treaty. Yup backdoor sale
Thanks, Nube, I thought that's what it may have been. The selling prices were good so I have no complaints about all of my rats getting cleaned up.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what it means when they mark the grade with an * and say that it's labeled?
These are “labeled” skins. Labeled skins are Super Select, Select, and 1st Quality. The buyer Receives a label with these furs when he purchases the fur lot with an *. They are to be sewn into garments and represent the best furs on the auction for that species.
The two labels for wild fur are NAFA Northern and Northern Lights.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:12 PM

Good job guys. There is no way I would want to skin that many dogs.
An asterisk * is a good thing, ideally you want one beside all your listings. High quality choice skins are labelled.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I had one beaver in the auction that sold well XL *I BR SEMI = $40.92

Thanks fellas! Here's a picture of the *I beaver. I guess that scraping the excess fat off of it the day after boarding it paid off. The white patches are where I scraped. Handy to know if you ever encounter it.