Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappy View Post
Trees are also living creatures that many people think deserve respect and a protected and safe environment, so it's a good comparison. There are some people who would be happy to get you thrown in prison if you cut down a tree. That is a fact.
It is also a fact that there are laws pertaining to cruelty to animals. Those laws do not include trees or mosquitos.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
How can compassion be a bad thing?
Compassion stems from weakness and it is a dysgenic force that seeks to soften and deaden selective pressures in life. Our population is on the decline and too much compassion is at the core of it. Idiocracy is where we are heading.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Seriously man,

How many times can you get banned from here, before you realize you should get a life?
I've never been banned from here. Paranoid much?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
It is also a fact that there are laws pertaining to cruelty to animals. Those laws do not include trees or mosquitos.

Cheers
I don't think you understood my point. 100 years ago it was acceptable to kill your dog. Today it is not. Today it is acceptable to kill your tree. In 100 years it might not be.

Laws change and loosely reflect our values. I think it's plausible that cutting down trees on your "property" could be outlawed or regulated in the future. We are heading in that direction as a society.

Anyways, this discussion is a little bit off topic. I didn't mean to start a big argument. It is just my personal opinion that the crime committed here, if any, is a minor one.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I don't think you understood my point. 100 years ago it was acceptable to kill your dog. Today it is not. Today it is acceptable to kill your tree. In 100 years it might not be.

Laws change and loosely reflect our values. I think it's plausible that cutting down trees on your "property" could be outlawed or regulated in the future. We are heading in that direction as a society.

Anyways, this discussion is a little bit off topic. I didn't mean to start a big argument. It is just my personal opinion that the crime committed here, if any, is a minor one.
I understand your point just fine.

100 years ago, it was NOT acceptable to tie your dog to a car and drag it as you drive off.

Also, 100 years ago, lots of things were acceptable. But as a society, we evolved and now many, many things, justifiably, are not acceptable.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Compassion stems from weakness and it is a dysgenic force that seeks to soften and deaden selective pressures in life. Our population is on the decline and too much compassion is at the core of it. Idiocracy is where we are heading.
Lets do a thought exercise here.

Since you are on AO I will assume you enjoy some outdoor pursuits.

Lets say you are ice fishing and fall through the ice. Other ice fishermen see you fall in. Are you saying that their compassion (and coming to help you) is a weakness? In a utilitarian point of view they should leave you as they could catch more fish because you will no longer be getting any?

I think from now on you should probably turn down any help offered to you in order to live by your motto.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I think that is where you are heading but please don't include me in your destiny with Idiocracy.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Imo most of the people looking for blood because of this incident, are probably pro choice people, who could careless about the premeditated life terminations of thousand of human fetuses every day. But 1 dog getting accidentally dragged to death, and all hell breaks loose. The hypocrisy of the younger generations, is what makes me gag.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Imo most of the people looking for blood because of this incident, are probably pro choice people, who could careless about the premeditated life terminations of thousand of human fetuses every day. But 1 dog getting accidentally dragged to death, and all hell breaks loose. The hypocrisy of the younger generations, is what makes me gag.
Wow. Now that's a veering off topic!

The dog was dragged behind a vehicle. I'll keep your post in mind the next time i see a pregnant woman tie herself to a car and tell the driver to take off so she can have an abortion.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I can not see how this careless incident is related in any way to one being pro choice or for that matter not being pro choice.

Some feel outraged about different aspects of this story. A few say no big deal because if it was not an accident we should be able to cause death to any animal we own and in any way we desire.
One even seems to insist that we as a society are on a down hill slide and somehow it is linked to not being able to kill your own dog
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Wow. Now that's a veering off topic!

The dog was dragged behind a vehicle. I'll keep your post in mind the next time i see a pregnant woman tie herself to a car and tell the driver to take off so she can have an abortion.

Cheers
To the morally superior, whoever (we or you are).
Old 07-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Was going to stay out of this one, but.

If it was accidental, very mild hand slap, if one at all.

If not an accident then a good slap.

Myself, I think it was accidental. And it should be needed to be proven otherwise.

Either way it was tragic for the dog, and if it was accidental it was very likely traumatic for the owner as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
Lets do a thought exercise here.

Since you are on AO I will assume you enjoy some outdoor pursuits.

Lets say you are ice fishing and fall through the ice. Other ice fishermen see you fall in. Are you saying that their compassion (and coming to help you) is a weakness? In a utilitarian point of view they should leave you as they could catch more fish because you will no longer be getting any?

I think from now on you should probably turn down any help offered to you in order to live by your motto.
Since humans are social animals it's a bit more complex with us than simply who will catch more fish, but the basic question is: why would they rescue me? Am I paying them to do so? Am I a value member of the community/country? And this is subjective. But to rescue me simply because they're too squeamish to watch a useless, stupid man die as a result of his stupidity would be weakness.

Our society trends towards the latter. We try to keep as many people alive for as long as possible, even if they're criminals and terrorists, even if they're mentally retarded. Not only do we strive to keep them alive but we give them resources and encourage them to have children. This is highly dysgenic and so it's no surprise that we're heading towards idiocracy!
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Since humans are social animals it's a bit more complex with us than simply who will catch more fish, but the basic question is: why would they rescue me? Am I paying them to do so? Am I a value member of the community/country? And this is subjective. But to rescue me simply because they're too squeamish to watch a useless, stupid man die as a result of his stupidity would be weakness.

Our society trends towards the latter. We try to keep as many people alive for as long as possible, even if they're criminals and terrorists, even if they're mentally retarded. Not only do we strive to keep them alive but we give them resources and encourage them to have children. This is highly dysgenic and so it's no surprise that we're heading towards idiocracy!
Gotcha- you support eugenics.

Well, just remember next time you are sick that you don't get to go to the hospital. The disease or condition that you have (probably cancer or heart disease as I am assuming you are a male living in north america) is a sign of your body's weakness and you should die without aid as this will strengthen the human race. If you have already procreated your kids probably have this same weakness (most likely at least) so they might as well end it as well.

Just to be safe you should probably wipe out the whole family tree while you are at it.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I understand your point just fine.

100 years ago, it was NOT acceptable to tie your dog to a car and drag it as you drive off.

Also, 100 years ago, lots of things were acceptable. But as a society, we evolved and now many, many things, justifiably, are not acceptable.

Cheers
You just repeated what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

I think that is where you are heading but please don't include me in your destiny with Idiocracy.
You just lashed out with an insult.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Enough alcohol and you too could do this
Old 07-06-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:

You just lashed out with an insult.
No lashing there. I'm just telling you I do not want to be included in your we statement about idiocracy. Speak for yourself!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you think I did, but I didn't.

Recap:
Flappy: it was ok to kill your dog 100 years ago, now it isn't.
Me: 100 years ago it was not ok to drag your dog behind a car.

So i'm not sure why you compare your statement of what was ok 100 years ago to what happened here when what happened here wasn't ok 100 years ago.

My next point is that we not a bunch of ignorant people anymore (as compared to the same group of people 100 years ago), we've learned, so even though it might have been ok 100 years ago, most people didn't know any better, and we're better for it now.

Smoking used to be promoted as a good thing. Think it should still be?

Cheers
Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Oh simmer down. Your moral indgnation is over the top.
Moral indignation rules. In this thread anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
Flappy is a troll trying to get a rise out of everybody.

Signs up in June and starts an argument in pretty much every thread he responds too.

If he thinks plants/trees/grass are the same as dogs/cats/animals then clearly there is something not quite right...
Whew! So he'll leave soon?

Quote:
Wow, that requires quite the imagination to link abortion to dog dragging. Younger generation? I am 58. Pro choice, anti-dog dragging and morally indignant!! Yep, that's ME!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've never been banned from here. Paranoid much?
just don't take it too personally this time when its SNS2 that does it
Old 07-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
just don't take it too personally this time when its SNS2 that does it
SNS2 seems to have a good nose for sniffing out returnees.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:12 PM

The subject matter of this thread is sickening because I am a dog lover. At the least, it serves as a good reminder of keeping one's dog safe.

I remember in my teens when I field trialed dogs. There was a guy on the circuit who thought it would be a good idea to tie his dog to the truck and "run" him on gravel roads to build endurance. Wore the pads right off the poor animal. Honest, and stupid, mistake with terrible consequences.

Hope she gets whatever is coming to her.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

OHHHHHHHHHHH now l see , your one of those people , no surprise in the way you think
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 PM

The thing bounced around and smashed the heck out of the back end of the car. How could a person not feel or hear those sorts of impacts?

Doesn't make sense does it? Although I have heard of 1400lb cows hitting the side of a truck & doing no damage...........
Old 08-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Police updated this today, one charge being laid

http://globalnews.ca/news/3640213/wo...berta-highway/
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM

Just read an article yesterday of a dead dog found in a lake in Minn., with an anchor tied to it. I can't begin to comprehend that act.

http://www.startribune.com/dog-tethe...mar/438069643/