Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 11:20 AM

Default Advertising and attracting scammers and thieves

So I know about the scammers wanting a vehicle history report off of some website but what about these other people wanting to know when we can meet? As soon as I say farm and I'm here all the time that ends it. I'm starting to wonder if they are trying to find out when I'm not around so they can rob me. Am I being paranoid?
Also I put my location in the ad so its not like its a surprise but I still also get people asking me where I'm at. I so basically I get three types of phone calls I get the vehicle Report scammers number two I get the win can we meet and number three I get the where are you located at calls
Old 05-01-2024, 11:30 AM

Also and I don't know if it matters but I will say in ad to call but they won't. Will only text.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:01 PM

Well, pretty tough for me to buy a used vehicle without seeing it first. So, scammer or legitimate, the easy way to put your fears to rest, is "I can meet you Thursday evening at the Esso along Highway 53". Then they don't know where you live, and they can only steal the vehicle.

My wife does, but I don't do the house thing anymore. You can meet me at my work, 8:00 to 5:00, Monday to Friday, to view or pickup the item. Someone is always there, not coming to my house in the evening, and I don't have to worry about maybe/maybe not showing up. I asked the boss, he don't mind, and quite a few guys here do it.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:29 PM

We give our addy out after 2 replies.
Second reply is them saying they are on their way, an hr notice.
This they are told in my first reply.

And even at that a few have my address with them being no-shows.

So I mostly direct them to Walmart or Can Tire parking lot now.

TBark
Old 05-01-2024, 08:20 PM

I never ever give out my home address, I will meet you at the husky / Esso truck stop on the highway, have done lot's of deals in that parking lot

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:22 AM

Your looking at it the wrong way . When a guy reads your add in the local paper and then you say ,i'm am way out here on a farm ,your not local anymore.
Why would a guy drive an hour to look at at a car when he can drive a few mins to one in his local city
Old 05-02-2024, 09:56 AM

She is going to get truck registered, insured and definitely insured for theft. Take it to town and put 4 sale sign in window with a phone number and price.
Thanks for your replies.

PS remember how easy and fun it used to be when this was all done in daily newspaper?
I used to look forward to morning paper with coffee. See a good deal on cool gun or truck and go buy it right away before someone else got there with cash.
I used to run cash paid for guns ads in local newspaper and have people coming and going all the time. Used to have fun and make money at it. Wasn't worried about getting robbed either although they would have been pretty dumb to try. Course now I would be one going to jail in any kind of someone trying to rob me now situation.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
PS remember how easy and fun it used to be when this was all done in daily newspaper?
Yes I do. Can't remember what it was called, wasn't the Auto Trader, but I still have the classified rag I saw the ad in when I bought my first car. That thing was thick, and I could spent hours going through it.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:37 PM

Default Advertising and attracting scammers and thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Yes I do. Can't remember what it was called, wasn't the Auto Trader, but I still have the classified rag I saw the ad in when I bought my first car. That thing was thick, and I could spent hours going through it.

Was that the Pennysaver? Or maybe the Bargain Finder?
Old 05-02-2024, 11:27 PM

I miss the old days of a $400 car, usually a hunk of junk but could always find a cheap pos to get you through the summer.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:33 AM

I used to love grabbing the bargain finder. Went through it front to back every issue. Got some great deals. My 300WM I still use I bought from that paper. Basically stole the dam thing!!

BH

Old 05-03-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Was that the Pennysaver? Or maybe the Bargain Finder?
Bargain Finder it was. Good memory.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I miss the old days of a $400 car, usually a hunk of junk but could always find a cheap pos to get you through the summer.
This was back 30 some years but I knew a guy who bought a 70s tran am for basically nothing. I'm trying to remember but probably $1500. Drove it from Newfoundland to Alberta. I used to go hunting with him.
With enough speed that car could hill climb and fly over large quantities of mud. Eventually wrecked it when someone stole his plug in cord at a motel in rocky mountain house and he cold started it very angry. Those cars actually worth money now if in good shape.
Another thing I miss was you used to be able to bring large quantities of things back from the States. If you did it right it would pay for your trip. Boy that day is gone.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:18 AM

I Never put exact location of farm, just general area, but say willing to meet halfway to town (a school)
Old 05-05-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I never ever give out my home address, I will meet you at the husky / Esso truck stop on the highway, have done lot's of deals in that parking lot
I give them my address, no way I'm sitting at the gas station waiting for a no show. I just ask them for an approximate time when they will be showing up. In fact I'd be uncomfortable meeting someone to buy something if they wanted to meet in some wayward location. Would seem like they don't want you to know who they are because they are selling stolen goods or want to hold you up.