Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Banned

Looks good , but may l ask one question , l notice the rounded part of the roofline is uneven , why didnt you use a string and draw a roof line so as not to have a crooked cut.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:05 AM

Yah and the screw 3 from the north and 5 in from left is countersunk .0235 mm too far!!!! What kind of a carpenter are you anyway? Fish will never come near that thing
Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 AM

Default Spreaders

PM sent
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
Looks good , but may l ask one question , l notice the rounded part of the roofline is uneven , why didnt you use a string and draw a roof line so as not to have a crooked cut.
Yeah yeah, I know!

I did use the string concept, my problem is that I didn't have a jigsaw, and the skill saw didn't work out to well. My plan was to go with a mansard type roof instead. Well, used my sawsall to do the cuts and I butchered it pretty bad admittedly.

Good thing is that when I put on the canvas it 'hides' my crappy cuts and looks pretty good. I'll always know it's there and won't ever be happy with it though.

I could have laid out the screws and washers better too, but it was tough to get the screw to stay on the drill head with one hand, screw it in, and pull like crazy to keep the canvass as tight as I could with the other hand. Should have got the wife to help I guess.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4u View Post
PM sent
Hey thanks man, that sounds like a great way to go about it, and if things don't work out in the next few days I'll be sure to get in touch with you after the holidays.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Yeah yeah, I know!

I did use the string concept, my problem is that I didn't have a jigsaw, and the skill saw didn't work out to well. My plan was to go with a mansard type roof instead. Well, used my sawsall to do the cuts and I butchered it pretty bad admittedly.

Good thing is that when I put on the canvas it 'hides' my crappy cuts and looks pretty good. I'll always know it's there and won't ever be happy with it though.

I could have laid out the screws and washers better too, but it was tough to get the screw to stay on the drill head with one hand, screw it in, and pull like crazy to keep the canvass as tight as I could with the other hand. Should have got the wife to help I guess.
OK ,still a good job , was just wondering why the uneven cut , kinda spoils the look of the roof contour.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Gone Fishing

http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/ic..._supplies.html I found this website from Sask but it may help with ideas and cost if your looking for icefishing gear/prices. Hope this helps some?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:49 PM

You might try finding an adjustable clothes hanging rod instead of the plastic pipe... or maybe some electrical conduit
Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4u View Post
PM sent
2Big4U really has helped a bunch with an expanding pole prototype. I'll post more about it after the holidays. Great ideas! If I would have checked my email earlier today, I could have picked up a pole today, but I was avoiding my work email today since I'm off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/ic..._supplies.html I found this website from Sask but it may help with ideas and cost if your looking for icefishing gear/prices. Hope this helps some?
Had a quick look at that site, pretty good ideas. I'm liking the idea of the sled / case combo. Might work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
You might try finding an adjustable clothes hanging rod instead of the plastic pipe... or maybe some electrical conduit
I used a 1" EMT conduit with 3/4" EMT slid into either end. This will work good for now, but the pole from 2big4U will be able to tension the walls apart better.

I'll post pics once I've got it in use! This afternoon I finished the poles, put some velcro flaps over the windows and a few paint touch ups. Might get it out to Pine Lake tommorrow.... We'll see. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions, they've been very helpful.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:28 PM

just remember engineers built the titanic amatures built the ark
Old 12-24-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideload View Post
just remember engineers built the titanic amatures built the ark
My professional credentials are C.E.T. and CCCA. Certified Engineering Technologist, and Certified Construction Contract Administrator.

Guess I'm a hybrid!

Last edited by Albertadiver; 12-25-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Spent the day at Pine Lake today. It worked GREAT! WIth the Big Buddy heater, we had to crack the door once in a while for fresh air, but I just sat in my first layer, and was toasty despite it being pretty windy out.

Only other guy we ran into on the lake came in to see us, and he had an aquaview camera. Pretty neat things.

Oh, yeah, we got skunked though. For once I didn't really mind. We forgot to pick up Bait yesterday, and everything was closed this morning. Ended up trying chees.

I'll try to get the narrow side facing the wind for next time though. Canvass blew in a bit.

I'm going to try Sylvan Lake, or Gull tommorrow I think, maybe for whitefish. I have Pike tip ups, but I like fishing for perch and whitefish more. Any suggestions for where to go on the lake?

At my folks, so I'll post pics once I get internet access for my laptop.

Last edited by Albertadiver; 12-25-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Thinking about Gull Lake now
Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Glad to hear you got out.
Sorry I missed you. I was quite surprised to get it done.
Good luck at Sylvan tomorrow.

Dan
Old 12-26-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Yeah yeah, I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Yah and the screw 3 from the north and 5 in from left is countersunk .0235 mm too far!!!! What kind of a carpenter are you anyway? Fish will never come near that thing
I hope you didn't take me serious. I was poking fun at your critics. I think Its awesome.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I hope you didn't take me serious. I was poking fun at your critics. I think Its awesome.
No worries! I caught the humour. Too bad I didn't 'caught' anything else in the last two days. Spent today at Brownlows in Gull. Not one bite. Think I'm doing somthing wrong, but this is the first time in about 15 years I fished Gull.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 PM

Awesome job on the shack. I am going to start on mine this week. If you don't mind I think I am going to use yours as a template.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Banned

Good lookin shack should last you a while,, enjoy it..
Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 PM

So here she is in action. We'll be out on Gull Lake tommorrow, somewhere around Brownlow's in the same truck.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Do you think an ATV would be able haul that bad boy in a Tub Trailer? Looks kind of long so I might have to shorten it up a little.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM

I think if you put some puckboard on the bottom and a hitch you could just drag it.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:48 PM

I had thought about that but we go to lakes that you cannot get trucks into. It is quite a drive and dragging it would tear it apart as the ground is rough and really steep.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I had thought about that but we go to lakes that you cannot get trucks into. It is quite a drive and dragging it would tear it apart as the ground is rough and really steep.
To use in up at Spray Lakes, I'd have to make a sled for it. Which may very well be my next project. At the start of the thread, I linked to another person's site of how he made a sled with EMT conduit. I'd do somthing like that, and if fastened to the sled well, you could pull by skidoo or atv.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I think it would get beaten up worse behind an atv and tub trailer.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 PM

As long as it is securely fastened by ratchet straps to the top of the tub trailer very little damage, other than rubbing, would occur.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Ya OK so this is a fine time to pipe in.... Nice job by the way. Increased comfort equals more time on the lake.
One small change to concider is to cut the holes ---sized to fit 5 gal pails.
This one was taught to me from up in the Arctic. It cuts down on the light and COLD wind comeing up the hole. AND dito to the previouse gent on the blocks or runners on the bottom. Get that sucker toasty for you & your Pops and it will be froze tight come sundown // go home time.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsfog View Post
Ya OK so this is a fine time to pipe in.... Nice job by the way. Increased comfort equals more time on the lake.
One small change to concider is to cut the holes ---sized to fit 5 gal pails.
This one was taught to me from up in the Arctic. It cuts down on the light and COLD wind comeing up the hole. AND dito to the previouse gent on the blocks or runners on the bottom. Get that sucker toasty for you & your Pops and it will be froze tight come sundown // go home time.
Spent two full days out so far, and hadn't had any problems with freezing. I have a 2x2 framework along the underside of the floor sheathing which reduces the surface area for it to freeze on. I have a frame around each hole as well, don't have any light coming up except through the ice itself. Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM

The last one I built was 48 " wide X 6 ' long with ski's under sized to run in the ski tracks of the yamaha sled probably 38 " or so it pulled line a dream.
Folded down in long distance travel mode I had a 2x6 frame arround the top side to hold the big gear [ auger - grub box - crash box all the necessarys]
Folded into fish position I had all the interior comforts inc. a small 12 x 48 ish shelf on the back inside to hold the stove / coleman lite and stuff.
I found that unless it was real nasty the single burner lite kept things decient warm.
Due to far north wilderness conditions I always traveled with a well supplied grub box.
So one day I had just filleted up a 4 > 6 lb laker when a couple of WL Officers pulled up.
After they sampled a mug of tea and a slab of "fresh" trout they of course checked my liscence. When asked said that in my case stomach contence did not count in daily posession limit...