Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Angel

Default "Beer Batter"

Here's an easy one.

Ingredients
1 case of light Beer (use one 12oz can for the batter)
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Paprika
1 cup plain Flour (keep dry)

Directions

Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. (The batter may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, but be sure to whisk it occasionally). Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a frying kettle or electric fryer. Just before it reaches 375F, quickly dredge the fish or shrimp with flour, shaking of excess then dip in the beer batter, coating well, and drop them into the hot fat (do this in 2 batches). When they are brown on one side - less than 1 minute - turn and brown them on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with lemon wedges.

Just thought i would share one with you fish lovers great for a shore lunch PS .I have "NEVER" had it in my refrigerater for up to a week.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Angel

Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM

The best damn beer batter around .
2 1/2 pancake mix
1 can of beer
2 table spoons black pepper
1 table spoon salt
1 1/2 table spoons garlic powder
1/2 table spoon onion salt
4 to 6 fillets of your favorite fish

the instruction from my brain
mix up your batter just so that its slightly thinner then actual pancake batter useually take about a can of beer slightly less . Add about 5 to 6 cups of oil to a thick wall pan or pot as you will deep fat fry the fish. Heat oil to about 400 to 425. anything lower fish and batter becomes oil logged. So theres about 2 to 3 inches of oil . Once youve filleted and put a little salt and pepper on your fillets , gently coat them in batter , and gently drop into hot oil. Cook for 2.5 minutes per side total cooking time is about 5 minutes . Once you are done your fillets dont throw out the batter add a can of corn , or srping some prawns with you . And dont forget your fryed potatos and onion .
Tight lines
Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Batter

Angel I use the same one but I use 1/2 corn starch 1/2 flour and use baking soda with just a 1/4 tsp of baking poeder. Seems to make the batter lighter.