Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM

Default "Field" shooting positions?

Just wondering how many guys practice shooting from positions other than standing or sitting in a stand? I've never shot a deer from a stand, always from the ground, and have yet to take a standing shot. I always want to, it jut never works out! In light of that, I like to practice shooting from kneeling positions,as I find it is more difficult for some reason. It seems like its harder to draw and hold as well.

Something I've thought about recently is hold time. In almost every situation where I've shot a deer, I've found myself holding longer than I'd have liked. Sometimes MUCH longer... Have you ever practiced holding at full draw until the burn is almost too much, and then trying to make an accurate shot? I find that when you do this, you tend to drop your shooting arm immediately at the shot instead of following through properly. Tends to make shots land low. I'm thinking i should be practicing this hold technique more, especially from the kneeling position, as it seems that this is the situation I find myself in time and again. Anyone have any tips for getting better at this?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:15 PM

Yep. Uphill, down hill, kneeling, sitting etc. One thing I've learned is to stay on my feet and utilize cover, as kneeling makes it very difficult to reposition if necessary. Also this is why it's often better to shoot lower poundage...I can shoot 70 indoors no problem, but cold/tired/adrenalin/kneeling is a different thing altogether. At 60 i can hold as long as i need to and still be accurate from any position. Everyone will have a different ideal draw weight.

As far as improving your "long hold" shooting, make sure your draw length is correct. you do need to practice, However you will reach a point at which you plateau, this is where work in the gym will help. Build up your upper body especially your back and it gets easier.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM

I practise and shoot from every postion possible as thats what hunting will make you do...

I have probably shot more animals Kneeling than any other postion...

Even shot a moose at 4 feet laying on my back...lol try that with drop aways...lol ...only with an Ugly Cookie

Neil
Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 AM

For "Holding"...when practicing in the garage...I'll have the radio on, and set cues for my release.
Example...If I draw during a song...I'll tell myself to hold to the end of the song, or to the next chorus, guitar solo whatever.
I'f it's talk radio, I'll tell myself to hold it until the next guy speaks, etc.

I see this as training myself to hold the draw, but also to release it at a finite time, or cue, which in theory has my brain releasing the arrow when the "shot" opens up.

Pretty wierd I know, and my wife thinks I'm nuts (not just for this, lol) but that's what I do to simulate holding a draw and releasing when the time is right.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:45 AM

Honker thats an awesome idea for full draw hold training
Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pete View Post
Honker thats an awesome idea for full draw hold training
+1
That's a great idea