Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 AM

Guys, Honda's picture of moose on his back,feet all over is good example of what we as hunters do not want to show to "Bambi" public. Most accept 4 quarters in back with set of antlers/head, I suggest less loading and more 1/4s covered with tarp, our image as hunters in future very important.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Sheet of ply wood and a comalong, chain that runs from the tie off points at the front of the box, comalong attaches to that, crank animal in.
This is exactly what we did last year. Put a ratchet strap on the other two legs and used them in conjunction.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, Honda's picture of moose on his back,feet all over is good example of what we as hunters do not want to show to "Bambi" public. Most accept 4 quarters in back with set of antlers/head, I suggest less loading and more 1/4s covered with tarp, our image as hunters in future very important.

I’ll save judgement until I know the circumstances surrounding Hondas harvest. For all we know he shot the moose in his field loaded it and drove the couple hundred yards to his house where he processed it, or maybe had the entire thing covered with a tarp and took the photo just after he untarped it. To assume he was parading the elk around town is just that, an asumption, no fact no proof just you condemning someone for what you THINK may have happened.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 PM

I swung through the Alberta Govt Surplus sales place today to see what was randomly there, there is a crew cab 4x4 from the fish cops complete with the headache rack and critter winch as well as the custom HD winch bumper out front (can't recall if the winch was in that). Its not on their website yet, nor are the approximately 8 used ambulances that were there. With 4x4 conversions those old ambulances could be made into some neato hunting & camping rigs......
Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 PM

I just built a ramp that cradles the animal when winching it in. Deer is pictured but have loaded moose the same way. IMG_4799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
I just built a ramp that cradles the animal when winching it in. Deer is pictured but have loaded moose the same way. Attachment 149791

A deer looks like it would be fine, but are you not worried about the weight of a moose on your tail gate?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
A deer looks like it would be fine, but are you not worried about the weight of a moose on your tail gate?
Never has been an issue. Loaded at least 10 moose the same way in three different trucks over the years
Old 10-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I built a removable winch system for my brothers truck on the cheap. He didn't want anything permanent. I used a sheet of 1" plywood cut to 24"x5' ( width of his truck bed) I bolted on a 6'6" 4x4 post with through bolts nuts and washers. And mounted a hand crank winch to the 4x4. The reason I went with 6' for the 4x4 was so the hand crank was out the side of his truck and wouldn't hit it when cranking. A thick piece of carpet to cover the plywood and a eye bolt on the far end with snatch block mid line. Hook the winch Hook on the eyelet, slip the plywood between the truck box and cab, attach the critter to the snatch block with a choker cable and crank it up the ramps. Works slick and can be made for cheap. Pretty sure the system can be adapted to a powered winch with some thought... Whole thing just lifts out of place and rides in the box when not in use.

Picture?

Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Picture?

He has to go shoot a moose first!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 AM

I had one like this fabbed up that is easily removable and fits under my solid fold tonneau cover. Mounts into the stake pockets and uses the tie downs. Used it to winch my moose this year out to the cutline and then up a plywood ramp into the truck. Worked well, but was more efficient double lining with a snatch block. Powered it from the truck batteries with booster cables instead of the separate battery.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Picture?

Sorry I didnt take a pic. It sure wasn't beautiful but it works. Basic design is a 24"×5' piece of 1" plywood. This is the piece that's inserted between truck box and cab. A 6' long 4x4 is bolted onto the plywood with one end sticking out 12". The hand crank winch is mounted on that 12" section of the 4x4. When installed the plywood sits between bed and box with the 6x6 sitting on the box side across the back and bearing on the side rails. I put an eyelet on the opposite end of the 4x4 from the mounted winch and hooked the winch cable to that with a snatch block in the middle. With the line pulled out the cable is in a large V shape with the snatch block at the point. Simply crank the handle and cable pulls the critter into the truck.

With the 2000 lb crank winch This system was strong enough to skid a Camry with e brake on while mounted on the box of a Toyota tundra.
Since all the force is placed on the whole box back + both side rails there is no danger of damaging the truck. I wrapped carpet around the plywood to eliminate scratching. I have seen guys just use the hooks on the inside of the truck bed as anchor points for pulling and have seen them pull the inside of the truck box out of place because the hooks are only attached to the inside panel of the bed. This system seems to be stronger.

I got my idea from watching an oldtimer who had a 4x4x5' with electric winch mounted on the center pulling a deer wit the 4x4 laying across the back of the bed with short chunks of 2x4 stuffed down the stake pockets in the rail side to keep the 4x4 from pulling forward. He also used tie downs from the box hooks to pull the 4x4 down as well. Seemed to work fine for him. I just adapted a way to give the beam a greater bearing surface so it wouldn't put as much pressure on just the two spots on the bed rails.

The size may need to vary depending on truck and winch used

If you want a drawing of it I can email you one. Just pm me
Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Nope not the answer, cover up, head in sand, nope,

Perhaps the pic was at home after transportation etc.....we have the same opinion of them as they do of us regardless of a pictures etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-20-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
What I do is none of your business. It was a legal harvested moose. Don't like it don't look. Good example right here why people do not want to post pics on this forum.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 AM

As soon as hunters feel they need to hide in the shadows like we are doing some despicable act we are done. Haters are going to hate no matter what...
Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
What I do is none of your business. It was a legal harvested moose. Don't like it don't look. Good example right here why people do not want to post pics on this forum.
You keep posting, please.

Some good ideas are tossed around on this thread, especially if your by yourself and you want to take animals home less the guts etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I don't see a thing wrong with that photo. Not a thing. Your suggestion, without prejudice, won't get much support here I think.

Insulating the snowflakes from the reality of where meat comes from is the reason we ............. well ............ created these snowflakes in the first place.

If I can keep them whole - Most of mine are laid in the box and remain uncovered to keep the cool air circulating.

Game bags are for packing - not hiding the "ugliness of meat" from "snowflakes and vegetarians" in my mind.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 PM

Photo is awesome. Moose hunting is legal and ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Good work, OP.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:06 PM

I hope to be able to post some pictures with a big fat bull moose in the box later in the year but for now this is the point I'm at with the home made rack.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zxyaaWR.jpg (54.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:05 AM

Go to a local F & G office and check out a couple of their trucks. Most have winches set up in the trucks for loading road kill.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I use my tri-fold quad ramps. I then use a 2 inch, 30' nylon tow strap, and sling it up the ramps, over the roof of the truck, over the hood and then attach the tow strap to the quad. I place an old blanket under the tow strap where it meets the roof of the truck. This prevents it from scratching the paint on the roof. I then move the quad to the front of the truck, and slowly drag the moose up the ramps into the box. It takes only a couple of minutes, even by yourself. I have even done this with the moose not gutted. I like to use the tractor to hang the moose while, gutting, cleaning, and quartering. I had an old uncle who showed me this trick, and I have done this numerous times. Its kinda red neck, but trust me it works.
Works great I had a guy show me this 20 years ago loaded a moose by himself and it just amazed me

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I hope to be able to post some pictures with a big fat bull moose in the box later in the year but for now this is the point I'm at with the home made rack.

Good job looks great! You will have no problem loading moose with that setup.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I use my tri-fold quad ramps. I then use a 2 inch, 30' nylon tow strap, and sling it up the ramps, over the roof of the truck, over the hood and then attach the tow strap to the quad. I place an old blanket under the tow strap where it meets the roof of the truck. This prevents it from scratching the paint on the roof. I then move the quad to the front of the truck, and slowly drag the moose up the ramps into the box. It takes only a couple of minutes, even by yourself. I have even done this with the moose not gutted. I like to use the tractor to hang the moose while, gutting, cleaning, and quartering. I had an old uncle who showed me this trick, and I have done this numerous times. Its kinda red neck, but trust me it works.
Loaded my first deer I ever shot in a similar way. Tied the rope to a tree about 5' high. Ran it over the headache rack and to the mule buck. Simply backed up while my 8 year old bro guided the critter into the box.. I did take the tailgate off.

I also once loaded a wt deer into my truck using a pole / lever. I had injured my back so lifting the deer was not possible. I backed up beside a tree and lashed a 14' long pole to the tree about 6' off the ground vertically with about 4-5 feet of the pole below the tie off point. Before lashing the pole up i tied a strap to the " long" end of the pole, now like 20' off the ground. I tied the four legs of the deer to the short/ low end of the pole and pulled the strap attached to the long end down lifting the deer off the ground using mechanical advantage. Once it was hoisted up I tied off the long end of the pole to a tree right at ground level and backed the truck under the hoisted deer. The longer the pole the lighter the load. No way you could do a moose or Elk this way but perhaps a half would work. I used wrachet straps for all the rope needs.

If you stop and think there's often a way to get er done:-)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

Good looking rack. Looks like it should get the job done. Did you bolt that to the frame, or just to the bed rails and box? If if is just the the bed rails and box, do you have any concerns with something heavy like a moose bending the mounting spots?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Good looking rack. Looks like it should get the job done. Did you bolt that to the frame, or just to the bed rails and box? If if is just the the bed rails and box, do you have any concerns with something heavy like a moose bending the mounting spots?
I don't think it will be a problem at all. I put three plates between the cab and box to take some of the pull, then bolted to the box sides and 16" plate on the box floor. I think the way the support comes out it will be putting down pressure on the box more than pulling. Time will tell, I hope.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are part of the problem, not Honda’s pictures.

Go burry your head in the sand if you think it will solve all hunters future problems.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
You are part of the problem, not Honda’s pictures.

Go burry your head in the sand if you think it will solve all hunters future problems.
I feel a certain respect towards the animal and others is always warranted. Just because something is legal doesn't mean is should be done. There was a guy at Wainwright a few years ago who loaded an animal onto a hitch rack type gizmo and was going to drive away with parts of the animal dragging on the road. Is that legal, sure is, am I glad base personnel told him that was unacceptable method to transport an animal, you bet. Hide behind the legal, reality, this is were meat comes from card all you'd like, but why go out of ones way to portray what is likely generally perceived as a bad image to the general public? You can't imagine it actually helps, can you, strengthens the image of hunting?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I feel a certain respect towards the animal and others is always warranted. Just because something is legal doesn't mean is should be done. There was a guy at Wainwright a few years ago who loaded an animal onto a hitch rack type gizmo and was going to drive away with parts of the animal dragging on the road. Is that legal, sure is, am I glad base personnel told him that was unacceptable method to transport an animal, you bet. Hide behind the legal, reality, this is were meat comes from card all you'd like, but why go out of ones way to portray what is likely generally perceived as a bad image to the general public? You can't imagine it actually helps, can you, strengthens the image of hunting?
You can tie a pretty pink bow on your quarters, legs, antlers, if you like. Won’t change the minds of anti’s. If you think it strengthens the image of hunting to hide everything, good for you, but it doesn’t.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
You can tie a pretty pink bow on your quarters, legs, antlers, if you like. Won’t change the minds of anti’s. If you think it strengthens the image of hunting to hide everything, good for you, but it doesn’t.
I'm pretty sure you know that's not what I meant and are intentionally taking it out of context in an attempt to reinforce your stance.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm pretty sure you know that's not what I meant and are intentionally taking it out of context in an attempt to reinforce your stance.
Never took anything out of context. Loading a full animal in a pickup is part of hunting. Trying to hide it won’t do anything for hunting in the future.

If you think it will you probably believe in unicorns too...
Old 10-23-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Never took anything out of context. Loading a full animal in a pickup is part of hunting. Trying to hide it won’t do anything for hunting in the future.

If you think it will you probably believe in unicorns too...
Never mentioned pink bows, never mentioned anti's, never mentioned hiding, never mentioned unicorns, didn't actually answer the question posted, yea, it was kept in context.